The Global Market for Tuna Omega-3 Ingredients and Algae Omega-3 Ingredients are expected to register CAGRs of 4.1% and 11.6% respectively, during the forecast period of 2018-2023. The scope of the market studied covers tuna and algae omega-3 market. The global tuna oil omega-3 ingredient market has been segmented into refined and crude tuna omega-3 oil. Both the markets have been further segmented based on application type and geography.
Due to depleting ocean fish, as a source for omega-3, fish is not sustainable for the future. This is a major challenge for omega-3 manufacturers. Algae, being the sustainable source of omega-3 fatty acid, has triggered a market demand. However, high downstream processing of algae omega-3 is affecting the market's growth. The algae omega-3 ingredient market includes DHA and EPA, which are essential fatty acids with more focused study on algal EPA.
DSM and Evonik have established a joint venture for omega-3 fatty acids, from sustainable natural marine algae source for animal nutrition. The initial product application is aimed at salmon aquaculture and pet food.
SeaDragon Limited has opened a refinery plant with a capacity of 1700 metric ton of crude tuna oil refining.
The balance quantity of EPA and DHA is required to meet the daily need of omega-3. Supplement form is the easiest and an efficient way to meet the daily requirement, which is not possible through function food, due to the undefined balance of EPA+DHA. In addition, dietary supplements do not require over-the-counter (OTC) drug permission, which is another major factor that accelerates the demand for tuna oil and algae omega-3. Most of the supplements available in the market are in recommended combinations of DHA and EPA. With the growing R&D on EPA benefits on the human body, the demand for EPA-only-based supplements are increasing. However, strict regulatory guidelines for dietary supplement in some regions, such as Europe, are affecting the market's growth.
The global market for tuna and algae Omega-3 Ingredient has been segmented on the basis of type, application, and geography. Although algae-based EPA is still a niche market, it is recording a growth rate faster than that of algae DHA. The food & beverage market has been further segmented into infant formula and fortified food & beverages products. Pharmaceuticals, dietary supplements, and animal nutrition are the fastest growing markets for algae-based omega-3 applications. Microencapsulation has led to the incorporation of omega-3 ingredients into numerous food products, including - infant formulas, baked goods, tortillas, fortified dairy products, beverages, low-fat meat products, liquid egg products, and many more. Algae-derived DHA is of high-quality vegan source, and is free from pollutants, contamination, and fish odor. However, the high price of algae DHA is restraining its growth in developing countries. High birth rate in China, coupled with the lift of ban on one child policy, is likely to accelerate the demand for algal and tuna DHA.
North America and Europe dominate the market, with their dominated production and consumption of tuna and algae omega-3 ingredients. Due to growing consumer awareness about the benefits of omega-3 in supplements and infant formula, Asia-Pacific is expected to record the fastest growth. Japan and China are the significant markets in Asia-Pacific, and are captured by major domestic players.
Major players -Major players, such as DSM, ADM, SeaDragon Limited, Olvea Fish oils, ImperialOel, Clover Corporation, and LYSI HF, have mainly focused on developing new products and forging partnerships. Koster Marine Proteins GmbH and Marvesa Holding NV have partnered to expand their presence in fish oil market.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
Analysis of the outlook of the market, with the recent trends and Porter's five forces analysis.
Market dynamics which essentially consider the factors that are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth prospects for the market over the forecast period.
Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research, incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects.
Global-, regional-, and country-level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market.
Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development during the past five years.
Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players.
Three months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel).
Customization of the Report
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Research Phases
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Market
- 1.4 Research Methodology
2. RESEARCH APPROACH AND METHODOLOGY
3. MARKET DYNAMICS
- 3.1 DRIVERS
- 3.1.1 Increased Demand of Infant Formula Products in Developing Counties Like China
- 3.1.2 Global Increase in Heart Disease and Obesity
- 3.2 RESTRAINTS
- 3.2.1 Fluctuating Tuna Price, High Downstream Processing Cost, And High Market Price
- 3.2.2 Alternate Sources of Omega-3
- 3.3 OPPORTUNITY
- 3.3.1 Growing Consumption of Dietary Supplement in the Developing Regions
- 3.1.4 PORTER'S FIVE FORCES ANALYSIS
- 22.214.171.124 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 126.96.36.199 Bargaining Power of Buyers
- 188.8.131.52 Degree of Competition
- 184.108.40.206 Threat of Substitutes
- 220.127.116.11 Threat of New Entrants
4. MARKET SEGMENTATION AND ANALYSIS
- 4.1 Crude And Refined Tuna Omega 3 Market
- 4.1.1 Fish Oil Market Overview
- 4.1.2 Crude Tuna Oil Market For Omega-3
- 4.1.3 Refined Tuna Oil Market For Omega-3
- 18.104.22.168 By Application Type
- 22.214.171.124.1 Dietary Supplement
- 126.96.36.199.2 Pharmaceuticals
- 188.8.131.52.3 Infant Nutrition
- 184.108.40.206.4 Fortified Food & Beverages
- 220.127.116.11.5 Animal Nutrition & Pet Food
- 18.104.22.168 By Geography
- 22.214.171.124.1 North America
- 126.96.36.199.2 Europe
- 188.8.131.52.3 Asia-pacific
- 184.108.40.206.4 South America
- 220.127.116.11.5 Rest Of World
- 4.2 Algae Omega-3 Market
- 4.2.1 By Product Type
- 18.104.22.168 Eicosapentanoic Acid (EPA)
- 22.214.171.124 Docosahexanoic Acid (DHA)
- 4.2.2 By Concentration Type
- 126.96.36.199 High Concentrated
- 188.8.131.52 Medium Concentrated
- 184.108.40.206 Low Concentrated
- 4.2.3 By Application
- 220.127.116.11 Infant Formula
- 18.104.22.168 Fortified Food & Beverage
- 22.214.171.124 Dietary Supplement
- 126.96.36.199 Pharmaceutical
- 188.8.131.52 Animal Nutrition
- 4.2.4 By Geography
- 184.108.40.206 North America
- 220.127.116.11 Europe
- 18.104.22.168 Asia-pacific (APAC)
- 22.214.171.124 South America
- 126.96.36.199 Row (Middle East & Africa) 5. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 5.1 Competitive Analysis Of Major Players In Algal-based Omega-3 Fatty Acid Market
- 5.1.1 Market Share Analysis (Algae Omega 3 Ingredient Market)
- 5.1.2 Strategies Adopted By Major Players
- 5.1.3 Most Active Companies By Strategies
- 5.2 Competitive Analysis Of Major Players In Tuna-based Omega-3 Fatty Acid Market
- 5.2.1 Market Share Analysis And Most Active Companies (Refined & Crude Tuna Omega 3 Ingredient Market) 6. COMPANY PROFILES. (ALGAE OMEGA 3 MARKET)
- 6.1 Bioprocess Algae, LLC
- 6.2 DSM Nutritional Products
- 6.3 Neptune Wellness Solutions (Biodroga)
- 6.4 Bioceuticals (Blackmores)
- 6.5 Henry Lamotte Oils Gmbh
- 6.6 Novotech Nutraceuticals Inc
- 6.7 Nordic Naturals Inc
- 6.8 Source Omega LLC
- 6.9 Cellana
- 6.10 Qualitas Health
- 6.11 Algaecytes
- 6.12 Simris Alg
- 6.13 Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM)
- 6.14 Feyecon
- 6.15 Testa
- 6.16 Metagenics
- 6.17 Xymogen
- 6.18 Polaris
- 6.19 Deva Nutrition
- 6.20 Jiangsu Tiankai Biotechnology
- 6.21 Xiamen Huison Biotech
- 6.22 Algisys
- 6.23 Confidence USA
- 6.24 Corbion
7. COMPANY PROFILES (TUNA OIL COMPANY PROFILES)
- 7.1 MARVESA HOLDING NV (Koster Marine Oils Gmbh, Hamburg)
- 7.2 Marine Biotechnology Products Ltd
- 7.3 Malayan Fish Oil
- 7.4 GOIA LTD (Ocean Products Seychelles Ltd)
- 7.5 Norwegian Fish Oil As®
- 7.6 Ben Cat Fish Meal And Fish Oil Factory
- 7.7 Seadragon Ltd
- 7.8 T.C.Union Agrotech
- 7.9 Lysi Hf
- 7.10 Clover Corporation
- 7.11 American International Chemical
- 7.12 Olvea Fish Oils
- 7.13 Nanjing Senhai Biological Oil & Fats Co
- 7.14 Imperialoel
- 7.15 Smit & Zoon Functional Oils
- 7.16 Omega Protein Corporation