Internet music radio and track play listening is on a 14.8% growth trajectory, surpassing 36 billion hours in 2014, delivered against promising programmer monetization efforts expected to achieve $1.9 billion in revenue, a 33.3% gain, according to a sector analytics report produced by AccuStream Research.
The report, Internet Radio Programmers 2014 - 2017: Music Plays and Monetization Mainstays, analyzes ad supported and subscription listening hours (desktop and mobile, with complete 2013 and 2014 YTD monthly hours by programmer), subscriber totals (domestically and internationally), inventory by avail format, sellout rates, CPMs, media spend, strategic adtech partnerships, rep firm relationships and the extent to which programmatic systems have integrated with sector entrants.
Annual revenue growth by U.S. based programmers (and international services conducting operations in North America) is forecast to exceed listening hour expansion in 2014, as the sector manages operational expenses (i.e. royalty fees and marketing costs) while building out sophisticated sales organizations tasked with achieving greater inventory sellout.
Moreover, music programmers are stepping up channel outreach efforts aimed at brands and agencies to showcase the medium's ability to deliver targeted national and local broadcast buying scale, particularly against the in-stream audio format.
Listening hours are forecast to increase at double-digit rates through 2017, framing a 13-year CAGR (2004 - 2017) of 28.8%. Ad supported listening currently makes up 71.6% of total hours, a share percentage expected to increase through 2017.
Ad-supported hours are on course to capture 54.2% of total sector revenue, and subscription 45.8% in 2014.
Ad spend is projected to book 61.1% of revenue by 2017 (64.4% audio, 25.8% video and 9.8% display), reflecting programmer commitment to in-stream audio and interstitial video.
Interactive direct response audio executions packaged with audience profiling data are also expected to support higher in-stream CPMs.
For 2015 - 2016, we expect revenue gains to outpace listening growth, as programmers and rep firms train their sales sights on terrestrial broadcast budgets, led by Pandora Media.
Table of Contents
- Market trends and indicators
- Market Maturity and Monetization: Rise of the audio avail and buying at scale
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO AND TRACK PLAY PROGRAMMER REVENUE SHOWS RUN-RATE EXPANSION AT 33% IN 2014; EXPECTED 27.4% RISE IN 2015
TERMINOLOGY AND DEFINITIONS
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO AND TRACK PLAY AUDIENCES AT SCALE: PROGRAMMERS DELIVER LISTENERS ACROSS MULTIPLE DEVICES AND DAYPARTS
- State of the Sector performance fundamentals 2014 - 2017
- Market trends, operations and sector monetization capability indicators 2014
- Market Maturity and Monetization: Rise of the audio avail, evangelizing brands and pitching a broadcast buy at scale
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO AND TRACK/CURATED STATION PLAY LISTENING HOURS FORECAST AT 37.9 BILLION HOURS IN 2014; 44.5 billion in 2015
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO AND SONGPLAY LISTENING HOURS: 2004 - 2017
- PERFORMANCE AT THE MARGINS: MANAGING DESKTOP / MOBILE LISTENING HOURS AGAINST REVENUE
- INVENTORY EXPANSION AND SELLOUT RATES: AD SUPPORTED HOURS TO GROW BY 9.1% IN 2014; SUBSCRIPTION BY 32%
- AD SUPPORTED LISTENING HOURS: 2005 - 2017
- AD SUPPORTED HOURS FORECAST AT 2.248 BILLION PER MONTH IN 2014; 2.738 BILLION IN ‘15
- SUBSCRIPTION HOUR GROWTH TO OUTPACE AD SUPPORTED LISTENING IN 2014
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO, TRACK PLAY AND ON-DEMAND SERVICES: 2013 COMPLETE LISTENING HOUR DATABASE BY MONTH
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO, TRACK PLAY AND ON-DEMAND SERVICES: 2014 YTD COMPLETE LISTENING HOUR DATABASE BY MONTH
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO, CURATED STATION AND TRACK PLAY PROGRAMMER REVENUE SHOWS RUN-RATE EXPANSION AT 33% IN 2014; EXPECTED 27.4% RISE IN 2015
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO/CURATED STATION AND SONG PLAY REVENUE ANALYSIS: AD / SUBSCRIPTION 2005 - 2017
- REVENUE PER 1,000 HOURS OF LISTENING IMPROVES TO $51 IN 2014, INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES
- AD SUPPORTED AND SUBSCRIPTION-BASED INTERNET MUSIC RADIO AND TRACK PLAY REVENUE: 2005 - 2017
- INTERNET MUSIC PROGRAMMER RIGHTS PAYMENTS ESTIMATED AT $792 MILLION IN 2013
- INTERNET MUSIC PROGRAMMER ROYALTY PAYMENTS ESTIMATED AT $953 MILLION IN 2014
- DIGITAL MUSIC RADIO/TRACK PLAY ROYALTY PAYMENT ANALYSIS: 2014
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO AND TRACK PLAY PROGRAMMER SUBS FORECAST TO INCREASE BY 20.4% IN 2014; 18% IN 2015
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO/CURATED STATION AND SONG PLAY SUBSCRIPTION REVENUE: 2003 - 2017
- SUBSCRIPTION INTERNET MUSIC RADIO PROGRAMMER/SONG PLAY REVENUE ANALYSIS: 2003 - 2014
- DOUBLE-DIGIT GROWTH RATES FOR AD-SUPPORTED INTERNET MUSIC PROGRAMMERS THROUGH 2017
- IN-STREAM AUDIO ON COURSE TO GENERATE 61.4% OF TOTAL MEDIA BILLINGS IN 2014
- INTERNET MUSIC RADIO/CURATED STATION/TRACK AND SONG PLAY AD SPEND BY FORMAT: 2003 - 2017
- AUDIO INVENTORY SELLOUT FORECFAST AT 62.5% IN 2014; PROGRAMMATIC SYSTEMS NOT YET A FACTORT IN MEDIA CLEARING
INTERNET MUSIC BUSINESS / EXECUTIVE FORUM: SECTOR Q & A's
- ABACAST (A WIDEORBIT COMPANY)
- SMOOTH JAZZ
- WESTWOOD ONE