The global central nervous system (CNS) biomarkers market should reach $9.5 billion by 2027 from $5.7 billion in 2022 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.8% for the forecast period of 2022 to 2027.
Life science research segment of the global CNS biomarkers market is expected to grow from $4.2 billion in 2022 to $6.8 billion in 2027 at a CAGR of 9.9% for the forecast period of 2022 to 2027.
Clinical diagnostics segment of the global CNS biomarkers market is expected to grow from $861.7 million in 2022 to $1.7 billion in 2027 at a CAGR of 14.3% for the forecast period of 2022 to 2027.
This study provides a comprehensive analysis of CNS biomarkers on a global basis. Its aim is to provide a range of information, from detailed product analyses within disease subsegments to overall industry trends, in order to quantify and qualify the global CNS biomarkers market.
Current and projected product forecasts during the forecast period (2022 to 2027) are discussed. New products approved in 2021 and 2022 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and those products expected to be approved within the forecast period are discussed. Market figures for 2022 are estimated, except where actual results have been reported.
Included in this report are forecasts by biomarker type, technology type, disease, application, and region from 2022 through 2027. The report also includes analysis of leading and emerging competitors in the current worldwide CNS biomarkers market. Profiles of manufacturers of leading products as well as biotechnology companies with novel products in development are analyzed to define the specific product strategies employed. This report also assesses companies poised to introduce products during the forecast period and discusses how these introductions will change the face of the competitive environment. The competitive environment is examined with a special focus on how new products and technologies are influencing the current standard of care.
- 43 tables
- An overview of the global market and technologies for central nervous system (CNS) biomarkers
- Estimation of the market size and analyses of market trends, with data from 2019 to 2021, estimates for 2022, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2027
- Explanation of market drivers, restraints and other forces impacting the global market
- Description of technologies such as genomics, proteomics, and imaging, and assessments of their advantages and disadvantages.
- Discussion of CNS disease segments, prevalence, and gaps in treatment for Alzheimer's disease, depression, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, and others
- Coverage of events like mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, collaborations or partnerships, and other key market strategies
- Comprehensive company profiles of major players of the industry, including Abbott, Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc., Eisai Co. Ltd., Merck and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction
- 1.1 Study Goals and Objectives
- 1.2 Reasons for Doing This Study
- 1.3 What's New in This Update?
- 1.4 Scope of Report
- 1.5 Methodology and Information Sources
- 1.6 Geographic Breakdown
- 1.7 Analyst's Credentials
- 1.8 BCC Custom Research
- 1.9 Related BCC Research Reports
Chapter 2 Summary and Highlights
Chapter 3 Market and Technology Background
- 3.1 Overview of Biomarkers
- 3.2 Classification of Biomarkers
- 3.3 Types of Biomarkers
- 3.4 Biomarker Discovery, Verification and Validation
- 3.4.1 Surrogate Biomarkers/Endpoints
- 3.5 Overview of Central Nervous System (CNS)
Chapter 4 Market Dynamics
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Growing Incidence and Financial Burden of Neurological Disorders
- 4.1.2 High Unmet Need in Neurodegenerative Disorders
- 4.1.3 Need to Reduce Drug Development Costs and Failures
- 4.1.4 Increasing investment in Neuroscience
- 4.1.5 Developments in Analytical Technologies and Assay Methods
- 4.1.6 Support from Regulatory Agencies
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 Technological Challenges
- 4.2.2 Regulatory and Reimbursement Challenges
Chapter 5 Market Breakdown by Disease
- 5.1 Market Overview
- 5.2 Alzheimer's Disease (AD)
- 5.2.1 AD Pathophysiology
- 5.2.2 Prevalence and Incidence
- 5.3 Key Biomarkers of AD
- 5.3.1 Amyloid-beta (AB, Beta Amyloid, or Abeta)
- 5.3.2 Tau Protein
- 5.3.3 Other Biomarkers of AD
- 5.3.4 Emerging Need for Blood-Based AD Biomarkers Testing
- 5.4 Parkinson's Disease (PD)
- 5.4.1 Prevalence and Incidence
- 5.5 Key Biomarkers of PD
- 5.5.1 DaTscan (Ioflupane I 123 Injection)
- 5.5.2 Flourodopa F18 (F-Dopa)
- 5.5.3 Alpha synuclein (a-synuclein)
- 5.5.4 Other Biomarkers of PD
- 5.6 Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- 5.7 Key Biomarkers of MS
- 5.7.1 Neurofilament Light (NfL)
- 5.7.2 Myelin Basic Protein (MBP)
- 5.8 Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- 5.9 Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD)
- 5.10 Key Biomarkers of ALS and FTD
- 5.10.1 TAR DNA-Binding Protein 43 (TDP-43)
- 5.10.2 Neurofilament Light Chain (NfL)
- 5.11 Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) or Concussion
- 5.12 Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
- 5.13 Key Biomarkers/Hallmarks of TBI or SCI
- 5.13.1 Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein (GFAP)
- 5.13.2 Ubiquitin C-terminal Hydrolase (UCH-L1)
- 5.13.3 Neurofilament-Heavy (NF-H) and Light (NF-L)
- 5.13.4 S100 Calcium-binding Protein B (S100B)
- 5.14 Other Diseases
- 5.14.1 Rare Brain Diseases
- 5.15 Global Market for CNS Biomarkers by Disease
- 5.15.1 Alzheimer's Disease (AD)
- 5.15.2 Parkinson's Disease (PD)
- 5.15.3 Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), and Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD)
- 5.15.4 Traumatic Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
- 5.15.5 Others
Chapter 6 Market Breakdown by Application
- 6.1 Market Overview
- 6.2 Life Science Research
- 6.3 Drug Discovery and Development
- 6.4 Clinical Diagnostics
- 6.5 Personalized Medicine
- 6.5.1 Precision Health Screening/Disease Risk Assessment
- 6.6 Global Market for CNS Biomarkers, by Application
- 6.6.1 Life Science Research
- 6.6.2 Drug Discovery and Development
- 6.6.3 Clinical Diagnostics
- 6.6.4 Personalized Medicine
Chapter 7 Market Breakdown by Technology Type
- 7.1 Market Overview
- 7.2 Proteomics
- 7.2.1 Proteomics Technologies
- 7.3 Imaging
- 7.4 Genomics
- 7.5 Global Market for CNS Biomarkers, by Technology Type
- 7.5.1 Proteomics
- 7.5.2 Imaging
- 7.5.3 Genomics
Chapter 8 Market Breakdown by Biomarker Type
- 8.1 Key Biomarkers of Neurodegeneration
- 8.1.1 Amyloid beta (AB, beta amyloid, or Abeta)
- 8.1.2 Tau Proteins
- 8.1.3 Alpha synuclein (a-synuclein)
- 8.1.4 Synapses
- 8.1.5 P53 protein
- 8.1.6 Apolipoprotein E (APOE)-4
- 8.2 Key Biomarkers of Traumatic Brain and Spinal Injuries
- 8.2.1 Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein (GFAP)
- 8.2.2 Ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase (UCH-L1)
- 8.2.3 S100 Calcium-binding Protein B (S100B)
- 8.2.4 Neurofilament-Heavy (NF-H) and Light (NF-L)
- 8.3 Key Biomarker Targets for Neuroinflammation
- 8.3.1 Brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF)
- 8.3.2 Nerve Growth Factor (NGF)
- 8.3.3 Proinflammatory Cytokines
- 8.3.4 Global CNS Biomarkers Market by Biomarker Type
Chapter 9 Market Breakdown by Region
- 9.1 Global Market for CNS Biomarkers by Region
- 9.2 North America
- 9.3 Europe
- 9.4 Asia-Pacific
- 9.5 Rest of the World (RoW)
Chapter 10 Impact of COVID-19
- 10.1 Overview
- 10.2 Impact on CNS Biomarkers Market
Chapter 11 Competitive Landscape
- 11.1 Overview
- 11.2 Product Launches/Approvals
- 11.3 Collaborations/Partnerships
- 11.4 SWOT Analysis for Global CNS Biomarker Industry
Chapter 12 Emerging Products/Technologies in the Market
- 12.1 Blood Tests for CNS Biomarkers
- 12.2 Focus on Tau Protein
- 12.3 Digital Biomarkers
- 12.4 Emerging Clinically Relevant CNS Biomarker Candidates
Chapter 13 Company Profiles
- ABBOTT LABORATORIES LTD.
- BIOMERIEUX S.A.
- BIO-RAD LABORATORIES INC.
- C2N DIAGNOSTICS, LLC
- DIADEM SPA
- EISAI CO. LTD.
- ELI LILLY AND CO.
- F. HOFFMANN-LA ROCHE AG
- H.U. GROUP HOLDINGS INC.
- LABORATORY CORP. OF AMERICA (LABCORP)
- MERCK KGAA
- PERKINELMER INC.
- QUANTERIX CORP.
- QUEST DIAGNOSTICS INC.
- SHIMADZU CORP.
- SIEMENS HEALTHINEERS AG
- SYSMEX CORP.
- THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC INC.