DelveInsight's 'Narcolepsy-Market Insights, Epidemiology, and Market Forecast-2030' report delivers an in-depth understanding of the disease, historical, and forecasted epidemiology as well as the market trends of Narcolepsy in the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom), and Japan.
The Narcolepsy market report provides analysis regarding current treatment practices, marketed drugs like Provigil, Xyrem, JZP-258, JZP-110 etc., emerging therapies like FT-218, AXS-12 and other promising candidates like SUVN-G3031, TAK-994, TAK-925, market share of the individual therapies, and historical, current and forecasted Narcolepsy market size from 2017 to 2030, segmented by seven major markets.
The report also covers current Narcolepsy treatment practice/algorithm, guidelines, market drivers, market barriers, and unmet medical needs to curate the best of the opportunities. It assesses the underlying potential of the market.
- The United States
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom)
Study Period: 2017-2030
Narcolepsy - Disease Understanding and Treatment Algorithm
Narcolepsy is a chronic neurological/brain disorder which involves poor control of sleep and wakefulness. Narcolepsy is classically a tetrad of symptoms including EDS, cataplexy, sleep paralysis, and hypnagogic hallucinations. People suffering from narcolepsy experience periods of excessive daytime sleepiness and sudden uncontrollable episodes of falling asleep during any time of the day.
According to ICSD-III(International Classification of Sleep Disorders-third edition), Narcolepsy is classified as distinct central nervous system hypersomnia in narcolepsy type 1 (NT1), formerly Narcolepsy with cataplexy caused by a selective loss of hypothalamic neurons producing hypocretin, and narcolepsy type 2 (NT2), formerly Narcolepsy without cataplexy and with normal hypocretin levels.
Narcolepsy can be diagnosed by using several tests and techniques such as physical examination, exhaustive medical history and tests that are considered essential in confirming a diagnosis of Narcolepsy are the polysomnogram (PSG) and the multiple sleep latency test.
There is no curative therapy for Narcolepsy till date, and current recommended therapies in Narcolepsy are limited to symptomatic treatment, targeting the main symptoms of the disease, depending on their severity. Behavioral and psychosocial interventions also impact the clinical outcomes of patients significantly. Various therapies have been approved by the USFDA and EMA as first and second-line treatment options for Narcolepsy.
This chapter covers the details of conventional and current medical therapies available for the treatment of Narcolepsy. It also provides Narcolepsy treatment guidelines across the United States and Europe.
DelveInsight's Narcolepsy market report gives a thorough understanding of the disease by including details such as disease definition, etiology, types, neurobiology, biomarkers and diagnosis. It also provides Narcolepsy treatment pattern and treatment guidelines in the US and Europe.
The Narcolepsy epidemiology chapters provide insights about historical and current Narcolepsy patient pool and forecasted trends for every seven major countries. It helps recognize the causes of current and forecasted trends by exploring numerous studies and views of key opinion leaders. Narcolepsy epidemiology is segmented by the diagnosed prevalent cases of Narcolepsy, subtype-specific cases of Narcolepsy, clinical manifestations associated with Narcolepsy and age-group wise prevalence of Narcolepsy. Besides, the report includes a thorough analysis of all segments.
According to DelveInsight's , the total prevalent population of Narcolepsy in seven major markets was 499,888 in 2017. These cases are expected to increase with a significant CAGR during the study period (2017-2030).
Among all the seven major markets, total prevalent cases for Narcolepsy were highest in Japan, followed by the United States and Germany. France accounted for the least number of prevalent cases among the 7MM.
This segment encloses the detailed analysis of the drugs in the Narcolepsy pipeline. It also helps understand the Narcolepsy clinical trial details, expressive pharmacological action, agreements of the included drug, and the latest news and press releases.
The first-line care of a patient with SCI involves securing the airway, breathing, and circulation, followed by appropriate spinal immobilization in the field to limit further insult of the highly susceptible cord during transport. Emerging therapies like MC001, AST-OPC1, KP-100IT, Elezanumab and Stemirac are expected to bring a positive shift to the overall market.
The market size of Narcolepsy is expected to increase at a significant CAGR during the study period (2017-2030). Among all the seven major markets, the United States accounted for the largest Narcolepsy market size. Among the EU5 countries, Germany had the largest market size, with USD 131.90 million, followed by the United Kingdom with USD 87.93 million in 2017. Italy had the smallest market size of Narcolepsy, with USD 14.66 million in 2017.
This section focuses on the rate of uptake of the potential drugs in the Narcolepsy market or expected to get launched in the market during the study period 2017-2030. The analysis covers Narcolepsy market uptake by drugs; patient uptake by therapies; and sale of each drug.
It helps in understanding the drugs with the most rapid uptake, reasons behind the maximal use of new drugs and allows the comparison of the drugs based on market share and size. All of which will be useful in investigating factors important in market uptake and in making financial and regulatory decisions.
The dynamics of Narcolepsy market is anticipated to experience a major positive shift in the coming years owing to the expected launch of therapies like FT-218 and AXS-12.
Narcolepsy: Pipeline Development Activities
The report provides insights into different therapeutic candidates and also analyses the key players involved in developing targeted therapeutics.
Pipeline Development Activities:
The report covers the detailed information of collaborations, acquisition and merger, licensing, patent details, and emerging therapies, concerning Narcolepsy.
To keep up with current market trends, we take KOLs and SME's opinion working in Narcolepsy domain through primary research to fill the data gaps and validate our secondary research. It will support the clients in assessing potential upcoming novel treatment by identifying the overall scenario of the market and the unmet needs.
Competitive Intelligence Analysis
We have performed the competitive and market Intelligence analysis of the Narcolepsy Market by using various competitive intelligence tools that include SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, Porter's five forces, BCG Matrix, Market entry strategies etc. Besides, the inclusion of the analysis entirely depends upon the data availability.
- In the coming years, Narcolepsy market scenario is expected to experience a positive shift across the 7MM due to a robust pipeline.
- Our in-depth analysis of the pipeline assets across different stages of development (Phase II and Phase III), different emerging trends and comparative analysis of pipeline products with detailed clinical profiles, launch date along with product development activities will support the clients in the decision-making process regarding their therapeutic portfolio by identifying the overall scenario of the research and development activities
Narcolepsy Report Insights:
- Patient Population
- Therapeutic Approaches
- Narcolepsy Pipeline Analysis
- Narcolepsy Market Size and Trends
- Market Opportunities
- Impact of upcoming Therapies
Narcolepsy Report Key Strengths:
- 11 years Forecast
- 7MM Coverage
- Narcolepsy Epidemiology Segmentation
- Key Cross Competition
- Market Size by Therapies
- Drugs Uptake
Narcolepsy Report Assessment:
- Pipeline Product Profiles
- Key Products and Key Players
- Market Drivers and Barriers
- What was the Narcolepsy market share (%) distribution in 2017 and how it would look like in 2030?
- What would be the Narcolepsy total market size as well as market size by therapies across the 7MM during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- What are the key findings pertaining to the market across 7MM and which country will have the largest Narcolepsy market size during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- At what CAGR, the Narcolepsy market is expected to grow in 7MM during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- What would be the Narcolepsy market outlook across the 7MM during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- What would be the Narcolepsy market growth till 2030, and what will be the resultant market Size in the year 2030?
- How would the market drivers, barriers and future opportunities affect the market dynamics and subsequent analysis of the associated trends?
- What are the disease risk, burden and unmet needs of Narcolepsy?
- What is the historical Narcolepsy patient pool in seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK), and Japan?
- What would be the forecasted patient pool of Narcolepsy in seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, UK), and Japan?
- What will be the growth opportunities in the 7MM concerning the patient population pertaining to Narcolepsy?
- Out of all 7MM countries, which country would have the highest prevalent population of Narcolepsy during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
- At what CAGR the population is expected to grow in 7MM during the forecast period (2017-2030)?
Current Treatment Scenario, Marketed Drugs and Emerging Therapies:
- What are the current options for Narcolepsy treatment, along with the approved therapy?
- What are the current treatment guidelines for the treatment of Narcolepsy in the USA, Europe, and Japan?
- How many companies are developing therapies for the treatment of Narcolepsy?
- How many therapies are developed by each company for Narcolepsy?
- How many are emerging therapies in mid-stage, and late stage of development for Narcolepsy treatment?
- What are the key collaborations (Industry-Industry, Industry-Academia), Mergers and acquisitions, licensing activities related to the Narcolepsy therapies?
- What are the recent novel therapies, targets, mechanisms of action and technologies developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
- What are the clinical studies going on for Narcolepsy and their status?
- What are the key designations that have been granted for the emerging therapies for Narcolepsy?
- What is the global historical and forecasted market of Narcolepsy?
Reasons to buy:
- The report will help in developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving the Narcolepsy market
- To understand the future market competition in the Narcolepsy market and Insightful review of the key market drivers and barriers
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for Narcolepsy in the US, Europe (Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and the United Kingdom), and Japan
- Identification of strong upcoming players in the market will help in devising strategies that will help in getting ahead of competitors
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for Narcolepsy market
- To understand the future market competition in the Narcolepsy market
Which geography accounted for the largest Narcolepsy market size?
The United States accounted for the largest Narcolepsy market size.
What is forecasted Narcolepsy size in 2030?
DelveInsight estimates an increase in Narcolepsy Market Size during the study period, 2017-2030
What are the present Narcolepsy market drivers?
Shortcomings associated with existing treatment, active clinical pipeline, increasing prevalence of disease
What are the Narcolepsy market barriers?
Need for better treatment practices, Hurdles in treatment selection, Identification of initial symptoms
How many companies are developing drugs for Narcolepsy?
Currently, two key pharma players are developing the drug for Narcolepsy
Which are the leading companies in Narcolepsy market?
Key Players - Avadel Pharmaceuticals, Axsome Therapeutics
How is epidemiology segmented for Narcolepsy?
Diagnosed prevalent cases of Narcolepsy, subtype-specific cases of Narcolepsy, clinical manifestations associated with Narcolepsy and age-group wise prevalence of Narcolepsy
Table of Contents
1 Key Insights
2 Executive Summary of Narcolepsy
3 SWOT Analysis for Narcolepsy
4 Narcolepsy Epidemiology Overview at a Glance
- 4.1 Patient Share (%) Distribution of Narcolepsy in 2017
- 4.2 Patient Share (%) Distribution of Narcolepsy in 2030
5 Narcolepsy Market Overview at a Glance
- 5.1 Market Share (%) Distribution of Narcolepsy in 2017
- 5.2 Market Share (%) Distribution of Narcolepsy in 2030
6 Disease Background and Overview: Narcolepsy
- 6.1 Introduction
- 6.2 Signs and Symptoms
- 6.3 Complications
- 6.4 Pathophysiology
- 6.5 Etiology
- 6.6 Risk Factors
- 6.7 Diagnosis
7 Epidemiology and Patient Population
- 7.1 Key Findings
- 7.2 Population and Forecast Parameters
8 7MM Total Prevalent Patient Population of Narcolepsy
- 8.1 The United States
- 8.1.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Patient Population of Narcolepsy in the United States
- 8.1.2 Subtype-specific cases of Narcolepsy in the United States
- 8.1.3 Clinical Manifestations associated with Narcolepsy
- 8.1.4 Age-group wise Prevalence of Narcolepsy
- 8.2 Germany
- 8.2.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Patient Population of Narcolepsy in Germany
- 8.2.2 Subtype-specific cases of Narcolepsy in Germany
- 8.2.3 Clinical Manifestations associated with Narcolepsy
- 8.2.4 Age-group wise Prevalence of Narcolepsy
- 8.3 France
- 8.3.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Patient Population of Narcolepsy in France
- 8.3.2 Subtype-specific cases of Narcolepsy in France
- 8.3.3 Clinical Manifestations associated with Narcolepsy
- 8.3.4 Age-group wise Prevalence of Narcolepsy
- 8.4 Italy
- 8.4.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Patient Population of Narcolepsy in Italy
- 8.4.2 Subtype-specific cases of Narcolepsy in Italy
- 8.4.3 Clinical Manifestations associated with Narcolepsy
- 8.4.4 Age-group wise Prevalence of Narcolepsy
- 8.5 Spain
- 8.5.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Patient Population of Narcolepsy in Spain
- 8.5.2 Subtype-specific cases of Narcolepsy in Spain
- 8.5.3 Clinical Manifestations associated with Narcolepsy
- 8.5.4 Age-group wise Prevalence of Narcolepsy
- 8.6 United Kingdom
- 8.6.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Patient Population of Narcolepsy in the United Kingdom
- 8.6.2 Subtype-specific cases of Narcolepsy in the United Kingdom
- 8.6.3 Clinical Manifestations associated with Narcolepsy
- 8.6.4 Age-group wise Prevalence of Narcolepsy
- 8.7 Japan
- 8.7.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Patient Population of Narcolepsy in Japan
- 8.7.2 Subtype-specific cases of Narcolepsy in Japan
- 8.7.3 Clinical Manifestations associated with Narcolepsy
- 8.7.4 Age-group wise Prevalence of Narcolepsy
9 Treatment and Management
- 9.1 Guideline and Management
- 9.1.1 American Academy of Sleep Medicine Guidelines
- 9.1.2 European Federation of Neurological Societies (EFNS) Guidelines
10 Unmet Needs
11 Marketed Products
- 11.1 Provogil: Cephalon Inc.
- 11.1.1 Drug Description
- 11.1.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 11.1.3 Product Profile
- 11.2 Xyrem: Jazz Pharmaceuticals
- 11.2.1 Product Description
- 11.2.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 11.2.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 11.2.4 Product Profile
- 11.3 JZP-258: Jazz Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- 11.3.1 Drug Description
- 11.3.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 11.3.3 Clinical Development
- 11.3.6 Product Profile
- 11.4 JZP-110: Jazz Pharmaceuticals
- 11.4.1 Product Description
- 11.4.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 11.4.3 Product Profile
12 Other Narcoleptics
- 12.1 Anafranil (clomipramine)
- 12.1.1 Product Description
- 12.1.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.1.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.2 Desipramine
- 12.2.1 Product Description
- 12.2.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.2.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.2.4 Product Profile
- 12.3 Prozac (Fluoxetine)
- 12.3.1 Product Description
- 12.3.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.3.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.3.4 Product Profile
- 12.4 Tofranil (Imipramine)
- 12.4.1 Product Description
- 12.4.2 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.4.3 Product Profile
- 12.5 Vivactil (Protriptyline)
- 12.5.1 Product Description
- 12.5.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.5.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.5.4 Product Profile
- 12.6 Zoloft (Sertraline)
- 12.6.1 Product Description
- 12.6.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.6.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.6.4 Product Profile
- 12.7 Effexor (Venlafaxine)
- 12.7.1 Product Description
- 12.7.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.7.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.7.4 Product Profile
- 12.8 Desoxyn (Methamphetamine)
- 12.8.1 Product Description
- 12.8.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.8.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.8.4 Product Profile
- 12.9 NUVIGIL
- 12.9.1 Product Description
- 12.9.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.9.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.9.4 Product Profile
- 12.1 Wakix (Pitolisant)
- 12.10.1 Product Description
- 12.10.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.10.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.10.4 Product Profile
- 12.11 Ritalin
- 12.11.1 Product Description
- 12.11.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.11.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.11.4 Product Profile
- 12.12 Dexedrine
- 12.12.1 Product Description
- 12.12.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.12.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.12.4 Product Profile
- 12.13 Adderall
- 12.13.1 Product Description
- 12.13.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.13.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.13.4 Product Profile
- 12.14 Atomoxetine
- 12.14.1 Product Description
- 12.14.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 12.14.3 Advantages and Disadvantages
- 12.14.4 Product Profile
13 Emerging Drugs
- 13.1 Sodium oxybate ER: Avadel Pharmaceuticals
- 13.1.1 Product Description
- 13.1.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 13.1.3 Clinical Development
- 13.1.4 Safety and efficacy
- 13.1.5 Product Profile
- 13.2 AXS-12 (Reboxetine): Axsome Therapeutics
- 13.2.1 Product Description
- 13.2.2 Regulatory Milestones
- 13.2.3 Clinical Development
- 13.2.4 Safety and efficacy
- 13.2.5 Product Profile
14 Other Promising Candidates
- 14.1 SUVN-G3031: Suven Life Sciences Limited
- 14.1.1 Product description
- 14.1.2 Clinical Development
- 14.1.3 Safety and Efficacy
- 14.2 TAK-994: Takeda
- 14.2.1 Product description
- 14.2.2 Clinical Development
- 14.3 TAK-925: Takeda
- 14.3.1 Product Description
- 14.3.2 Clinical Development
- 14.3.3 Safety and Efficacy
- 14.4 ADAIR: Vallon Pharmaceuticals
- 14.4.1 Product Description
- 14.4.2 Clinical Development
- 14.4.3 Safety and Efficacy
- 14.5 Mazindol CR: NLS Pharma
- 14.5.1 Product Description
- 14.5.2 Product Development Activities
- 14.5.3 Product Profile
15 No Development Reported
- 15.1 BTD - 001: Balance Therapeutics
- 15.1.1 Product Description
- 15.1.2 Clinical Development
- 15.1.3 Clinical Trial Information
- 15.1.4 Product Profile
- 15.2 TS-091: Taisho Pharmaceutical Co
- 15.2.1 Product Description
- 15.2.2 Clinical Development
- 15.2.3 Product Profile
- 15.3 THN102 (Modafinil + Flecainide): Theranexus
- 15.3.1 Regulatory Milestones
- 15.3.2 Clinical Development
- 15.3.3 Clinical Trial Information
- 15.3.4 Product Profile
16 Narcolepsy: 7 Major Market Analysis
- 16.1 Key Findings
- 16.2 Market Size of Narcolepsy in 7MM
17 7MM: Narcolepsy Market Outlook
18 Country-wise Market Analysis
- 18.1 The United States
- 18.1.1 Total Market size of Narcolepsy in the U.S.
- 18.1.2 Therapy-based market size of Narcolepsy in the U.S.
- 18.2 EU-5 Countries
- 18.2.1 Germany
- 18.2.2 France
- 18.2.3 Italy
- 18.2.4 Spain
- 18.2.5 United Kingdom
- 18.3 Japan
- 18.3.1 Total Market size of Narcolepsy in Japan
- 18.3.2 Therapy-based market size of Narcolepsy in Japan
19 Market Drivers
20 Market Barriers
22 DelveInsight Capabilities
24 About DelveInsight