The global bile duct cancer market size was valued US$ XX billion in 2020 and is estimated to reach US$ XX billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of XX % during the forecast period (2021-2028).
Bile duct cancer is an uncommon disorder in which cancer cells form in the bile ducts. Having colitis or specific liver diseases can double the risk of bile duct cancer. Signs of bile duct cancer involve jaundice and pain in the abdomen. Bile duct cancer, also known as cholangiocarcinomas, begins in a bile duct.
The bile duct cancer market growth is driven by increase in the prevalence of bile duct cancer patients across the globe, technological advancement in the health care sector, and a rise in health care expenditure across the globe.
Increasing prevalence and incidence of cancer worldwide in the elderly population
As per the NCBI, in 2014, an estimated 66,771 people lived with bile duct cancer in the U.S. Moreover, the disease is exacted to cause 28,920 deaths at the end of 2017, estimating 4.8% of all cancer deaths. Rates for new intrahepatic bile duct cancer cases have grown by an average of 2.7% each year across the last ten years. Death rates have been estimated to have increased by an average of 2.6% each year over 2005-2014 and the same is expected to be seen in the year from 2018-2030. Such a rise in the prevalence of bile duct cancer has driven the growth of the market.
The increasing prevalence of diseases such as liver fluke will significantly escalate the demand for bile duct cancer treatment in healthcare institutions. Such factors are likely to positively impact the global bile duct cancer market's growth during the forecast period. Moreover, increasing exposure to harmful chemicals for printing and other applications is affecting the industrial workers adversely. Due to such factors, bile duct cancer treatment is likely to increase demand across various healthcare industries.
Rising modern diagnostic facilities for the detection of bile duct cancer is driving the market growth
A precise and detailed bile duct cancer diagnosis is the first step in devising a bile duct cancer treatment. Several lab tests are available to check for abnormalities in the bile duct, including blood counts of bilirubin, albumin, alkaline phosphatase, aspartate transaminase (AST), alanine transaminase (ALT) and gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT). High levels of these elements in the blood indicate problems with the bile duct, gallbladder or liver.
Endoscopic ultrasound may help the doctor see more precise pictures of the bile duct. A thin, glowing tube with a small video camera is inserted through the mouth and esophagus into the small intestines near the bile duct. In rare cases, a laparoscopic ultrasound, through small holes in the front of the abdomen, may be used to check the bile duct and other internal organs. Thus, an increasing focus on these lab tests for treating the infection drives the market growth in the forecast period.
Side effects associated with medications coupled with high cost of cancer treatment
Side-effects such as radiation therapy can bring hair loss (sometimes called alopecia) to the part of the body receiving radiation. At the same time, chemotherapy can lead to hair loss in the head, scalp, and other body parts. Various chemotherapy medications can cause several types of hair loss or no hair loss at all. Hair loss usually happens within two weeks of treatment, worsening over the first month or two of ongoing treatment.
The American Society of Clinical Oncology states that there is a yawning gap between cancer treatment costs in the developed and developing countries. Moreover, the US, importing prescription medicines from the foreign countries is not allowed. Also, Patented Medicine Prices Review Board of the government of Canada states that people in the US end up paying more than 100% than any of their counterparts for patented drugs. These variations in prices are likely to hinder the bile duct cancer treatment market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 pandemic on bile duct cancer care decreased, and delays in identifying new bile duct cancers and treatment delivery. These problems, if unmitigated, will increase cancer morbidity and mortality in the forecast period. While the immediate care and access disruptions associated with the COVID-19 pandemic have received growing attention in certain areas, the full range of cancer screenings and treatment gaps is not yet well understood or well documented throughout the world comprehensively.
Many healthcare providers accommodated short-term adjustments to cancer care delivery, such as temporarily discontinuing nonemergent cancer screenings, shifting the delivery of care and delaying surgeries and other in-office cancer services to reduce transmission risk, build hospital capacity in anticipation of increasing rates of coronavirus infections, and comply with state regulations and guidelines from the CDC.
Intrahepatic bile duct cancer segment is expected to grow at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period (2021-2028)
Intrahepatic bile duct cancer is a rare type of cancer. It begins in the small bile duct sections that carry bile inside the liver. Only about 5 to 10 percent of bile duct cancers are categorized as intrahepatic, and some are misdiagnosed as liver cancer.
The expanse of a patient's intrahepatic bile duct cancer will affect how it is treated, amongst other factors like age and overall health. Patients with early-stage malignancies often have resection surgery to remove the altered bile duct and encompass lymph nodes. Radiation therapy and chemotherapy may also be used to attack cancer cells. Some later-stage bile duct cancers may not be surgically detachable, in which case a combination of radiation therapy, chemotherapy and radiofrequency ablation may be used to decrease symptoms.
Extrahepatic bile duct cancer is a rare disease in which dangerous cancer cells form in the bile duct outside the liver. Various types of therapy are available for patients with extrahepatic bile duct cancer. Some procedures are standard, and some are being tested in clinical trials. When clinical trials confirm that a new treatment is more valuable than the standard treatment, the new treatment may become the standard treatment. Patients may want to think about taking part in a clinical trial. Some clinical trials are open only to patients who have not started treatment.
The chemotherapy segment are expected to dominate the bile duct cancer market during the forecast period
Chemotherapy is the use of anti-cancer medications used to treatment of cancerous cells. Chemotherapy has been done for many years and is one of the most prevalent cancer treatments. In most instances, chemotherapy works by preventing the cancer cell's ability to grow or multiply. Several groups of medications work in many ways to fight cancer cells. Chemotherapy may be used alone for some types of cancer or in sequence with other treatments such as radiation or surgery. Often, a mixture of chemotherapy drugs is used to fight particular cancer. Some chemotherapy drugs are given in a specific amount depending on the type of cancer used for treatment.
While chemotherapy can be quite efficient in treating specific cancers, chemotherapy medications reach all body parts. The carcinoma cells that cause may be many side effects during therapy.
North America region holds the largest market share in the global Bile Duct Cancer Market
North America region is dominating the global bile duct cancer market accounted for the largest market share in 2020, owing to the presence of a robust healthcare infrastructure that supports innovations. Also, general awareness among people about personal health is more significant than in other regions of the world. Most novel technology, be that diagnostic or therapeutic, comes from these regions. Also, an increasing geriatric population here helps growth in this market.
The bile duct cancer market is moderately competitive with presence of local as well as global companies. Some of the key players which are contributing to the growth of the market include Johnson & Johnson, Bayer AG, Celgene Corp, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Pfizer, Inc., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Sanofi, Novartis AG, Merck & Co., Inc., ConMed Corporation, and Boston Scientific Corporation among others. The major players are adopting several growth strategies such as product launches, acquisitions, and collaborations, which are contributing to the growth of the bile duct cancer market globally.
Key Companies to Watch
Overview: Pfizer Inc. (Pfizer), is a research-based global biopharmaceutical company. The Company is engaged in the discovery, development and manufacture of healthcare products. Its global portfolio includes medicines and vaccines. The Company sold its products in over 125 countries.
Product Portfolio: The Company's portfolio comprised of include internal medicine, vaccines, oncology, inflammation and immunology and rare diseases and others.
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the composition of the bile duct cancer market segmentation by type, treatment, and end user highlighting the key commercial assets and players.
- Identify commercial opportunities in bile duct cancer market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of bile duct cancer market - level 4/5 segmentation.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the key product of all major market players
The global bile duct cancer market report would provide an access to an approximately 45+ market data table, 40+ figures and 180 pages.
- Service Providers/ Buyers
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Global Bile Duct Cancer Treatment Market - By Type
- Intrahepatic Bile Duct Cancer
- Extrahepatic Bile Duct Cancer
Global Bile Duct Cancer Treatment Market - By Treatment
Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - By End User
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - By Region
- North America
- South America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
Table of Contents
1. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market Methodology and Scope
- 1.1. Research Methodology
- 1.2. Research Objective and Scope of the Report
2. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - Market Definition and Overview
3. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - Executive Summary
- 3.1. Market Snippet by Type
- 3.2. Market Snippet by Treatment
- 3.3. Market Snippet by End User
- 3.4. Market Snippet by Region
4. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - Market Dynamics
- 4.1. Market Impacting Factors
- 4.1.1. Drivers
- 22.214.171.124. Rising modern diagnostic facilities for the detection of bile duct cancer is driving the market growth
- 126.96.36.199. Increasing prevalence and incidence of cancer worldwide in the elderly population
- 4.1.2. Restraints:
- 188.8.131.52. Side effects associated with medications coupled with high cost of cancer treatment
- 4.1.3. Opportunity
- 4.1.4. Impact Analysis
5. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.2. Supply Chain Analysis
- 5.3. Pricing Analysis
- 5.4. Regulatory Analysis
- 5.5. Reimbursement Analysis
- 5.6. Unmet Needs
6. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - COVID-19 Analysis
- 6.1. Analysis of Covid-19 on the Market
- 6.1.1. Before COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.2. Present COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.3. After COVID-19 or Future Scenario
- 6.2. Pricing Dynamics Amid Covid-19
- 6.3. Demand-Supply Spectrum
- 6.4. Government Initiatives Related to the Market During Pandemic
- 6.5. Manufacturers Strategic Initiatives
- 6.6. Conclusion
7. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - By Type
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type Segment
- 7.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Type Segment
- 7.2. Intrahepatic Bile Duct Cancer*
- 7.2.1. Introduction
- 7.2.2. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2018-2028 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2020-2028
- 7.3. Extrahepatic Bile Duct Cancer
8. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - By Treatment
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Treatment
- 8.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Treatment
- 8.2. Therapy*
- 8.2.1. Introduction
- 8.2.2. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2018-2028 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2020-2028
- 8.2.3. Targeted Therapy
- 8.2.4. Immunotherapy
- 8.2.5. Radiation Therapy
- 8.2.6. Chemotherapy
- 8.3. Diagnosis
- 8.3.1. Blood Tests
- 8.3.2. Abdominal Imaging
- 8.3.3. MRI
- 8.3.4. Others
9. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - By End User
- 9.1. Introduction
- 9.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User Segment
- 9.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By End User Segment
- 9.2. Hospitals *
- 9.2.1. Introduction
- 9.2.2. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2018-2028 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2020-2028
- 9.3. Clinics
- 9.4. Ambulatory Surgical Centers
10. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - By Region
- 10.1. Introduction
- 10.1.1. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2018-2028 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2020-2028, By Region
- 10.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Region
- 10.2. North America
- 10.2.1. Introduction
- 10.2.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.2.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.2.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Treatment
- 10.2.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
- 10.2.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.2.6.1. U.S.
- 10.2.6.2. Canada
- 10.2.6.3. Mexico
- 10.3. Europe
- 10.3.1. Introduction
- 10.3.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.3.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.3.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Treatment
- 10.3.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
- 10.3.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.3.6.1. Germany
- 10.3.6.2. U.K.
- 10.3.6.3. France
- 10.3.6.4. Italy
- 10.3.6.5. Spain
- 10.3.6.6. Rest of Europe
- 10.4. South America
- 10.4.1. Introduction
- 10.4.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.4.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.4.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Treatment
- 10.4.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
- 10.4.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.4.6.1. Brazil
- 10.4.6.2. Argentina
- 10.4.6.3. Rest of South America
- 10.5. Asia Pacific
- 10.5.1. Introduction
- 10.5.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.5.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.5.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Treatment
- 10.5.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
- 10.5.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.5.6.1. China
- 10.5.6.2. India
- 10.5.6.3. Japan
- 10.5.6.4. Australia
- 10.5.6.5. Rest of Asia Pacific
- 10.6. Middle East and Africa
- 10.6.1. Introduction
- 10.6.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.6.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.6.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Treatment
- 10.6.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
11. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - Competitive Landscape
- 11.1. Key Developments and Strategies
- 11.2. Company Share Analysis
- 11.3. Product Benchmarking
- 11.4. List of key companies to watch
- 11.5. List of the company with disruptive technology
- 11.6. List of start-up companies
12. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market- Company Profiles
- 12.1. Johnson & Johnson *
- 12.1.1. Company Overview
- 12.1.2. Product Portfolio and Description
- 12.1.3. Key Highlights
- 12.1.4. Financial Overview
- 12.2. Bayer AG
- 12.3. Celgene Corp
- 12.4. Bristol-Myers Squibb
- 12.5. Pfizer, Inc.
- 12.6. F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- 12.7. Sanofi
- 12.8. Novartis AG
- 12.9. Merck & Co., Inc.,
- 12.10. Boston Scientific Corporation
LIST NOT EXHAUSTIVE
13. Global Bile Duct Cancer Market - DataM
- 13.1. Appendix
- 13.2. About Us and Services
- 13.3. Contact Us