The global child resistant packaging market size was worth US$ XX million in 2020 and is estimated to reach US$ XX million by 2028, growing at a CAGR of XX% during the forecast period (2021-2028).
The primary application of child-resistant packaging revolves around reducing the risk associated with dangerous substances and materials that have a chance to contact children in households or similar places. Primarily, child-resistance products are manufactured by employing a specific safety cap that makes it difficult for children to open and close the packaging. Child-resistant packaging protects children from hazardous events caused by undesirable drugs and chemicals by ensuring that medicines are kept in the refrigerator and out of reach of youngsters.
Non-reclosable packaging for pharmaceutical products, such as blister packs of pills, is included in the child-resistant packaging and is manufactured utilizing durable materials designed to be safe and effective to keep the numerous products out of the reach of youngsters. Child-resistant packaging is widely used in end-user sectors, such as in the packaging of pharmaceuticals, cleaning products, gardening supplies and other home items.
The increasing child endangerment cases associated with exposure to various pharmaceutical, chemical and similar products is a major market driver for the global child-resistant packaging market. Nevertheless, the higher price of the respective products compared to standard packaging products restricts the market growth of the respective market.
Increasing child poisoning cases associated with various industries
One of the primary reasons behind the market's phenominal growth is the increase in child poisoning incidents caused by exposure to dangerous materials from pharmaceuticals, chemicals, food, and beverages. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, among children under the age of six, almost 50,000 child poisoning cases occur each year in U.S.
The child-resistant packaging industry has been fueled by rising demand for pharmaceutical packaging designed to safeguard youngsters. According to the American Chemical Society Organization, the global pharmaceutical packaging market was valued at roughly US$ 71 million and is expected to expand at an annual rate of 8.75% in 2019.
Further, the market has grown as stricter rules and regulations surrounding the use of child safety packaging and certification have become more prevalent. For instance, it is mandated for child-resistant packaging to be certified according to ISO/EN 8317 and US16 CFR 1700.20. In addition, in 2015, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released a notice of proposed legislation that ensures child-resistant packaging for safety reasons.
Since the above parameters related to growing instances of child poisoning sufficiently boost the demand and other market prospects of child-resistant packaging globally, the respective factor could be concluded as a major driving force for the respective market.
High price points compared to alternatives
Though child-resistant packaging products are mandatory to ensure child safety, the price point of these products is sufficiently higher than normal packaging products. The primary reason for the high price range is the quality and safety regulations the child-resistant products have to go through to ensure their quality. For instance, as per British Plastic Federation, every child resistant packing product has to go through the following regulations, depending on their application or end-user industry:
- The global standard BS EN ISO 8317:2004 covers reclosable packaging associated with any contents.
- Non-reclosable packaging for medications is covered by BS EN 14375:2003, a European standard.
- Non-reclosable packaging for non-medicines is covered by BS EN 862:2005, a European standard.
- 16 CFR 1700.20 is an American regulation that addresses reclosable and non-reclosable packaging for pharmaceuticals and non-pharmaceuticals. In U.S., this regulation is mandatory and has been implemented by many other countries.
Since these regulations mandate the usage of a set of raw materials and production quality and processes, the expenses of production assocsiated with child-resistant packaging products are higher than standard packaging products. As the production expenses directly impact the final price point of any product, the higher production price of child-resistant packaging would impart a significantly higher price point to child-resistant packaging products. Since product price is inversely proportional to customer preference, the respective factor should be considered a major market restraint that constricts the market growth.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The global child-resistant packaging market has seen a minor decline initially due to the COVID-19 epidemic, which forced the closure of several major manufacturing facilities. Further, several countries have temporarily halted the respective products' manufacturing due to the COVID-19 epidemic. However, in late 2020, the demand for child resistant packaging climbed marginally as the needs for various medications skyrocketed, followed by a drastic increase in the manufacture of pharmaceutical products by several key manufacturers.
Further, many key manufacturers of child-resistant packaging have planned investments, particularly on the newly introduced bio-based packaging materials, to meet the growing demand of the food & beverage and pharmaceutical industries. Ezonyx, for instance, began commercial production of its EarthPCB resins material on July 21, 2020. It is a type of bioplastic plant-based polymer that is bio-based, non-toxic and environmentally friendly and is used in the packaging of food, beverages and beauty goods, among other things.
As a result of the colossal rise experienced by end-user markets such as food & beverages and pharmaceuticals, the demand and sales of child-resistants packaging rose rapidly amidst the second wave of the pandemic and is expected to increase even further once the pandemic subsides.
The global child resistant packaging is segmented based on product, material, packaging type, end-user and region.
Rising demand for sustainable, childproof blisters have propelled the segmental growth for blister and clamshells
Caps and closures, blister and clamshells, joint container tubes, bags and pouches, cartons and others make up the product segment of the global child resistant packaging market. Blisters and clamshells have the biggest market share, owing to an increase in the introduction of improved blister packaging for child safety. For instance, Romaco and Huhtamaki launched the first recyclable push-back strip blister packaging for pharmaceutical products on November 22, 2019, which resulted in a desire for segmental growth.
Due to increased demand for sustainable packaging in the food and beverage, pharmaceutical and personal care industries and the increased launch of child resistant packaging by major players, caps & closures, joint container tubes, bags & pouches and cartons segments are all growing at a faster rate. Elplasto, for instance, debuted their innovative EL-ZIP Child Safe zipper for flexible packaging on September 27, 2020. It's made to include both kid safety and child-resistant characteristics and finds application in storing home chemicals, vitamins/supplements and medicinal marijuana. It's less expensive than other child-resistant closures and works with horizontal and vertical FFS packaging machines and readymade pouch converting equipment.
North America holds the largest market share global child resistant packaging Market
Because of various manufacturing businesses associated with food and drinks, medicines, and strong rules and regulations addressing child safety in this region, North America dominated the global child resistant packaging market, accounting for the biggest market share. Additionally, rising consumer expenditure on pharmaceutical medications manufactured in child-resistant packaging has fueled the expansion of this market.
According to The Pew Charitable Trusts Organization, annual spending on prescription medications in U.S. has surpassed US$ 450 million and is expected to outpace growth due to increased healthcare spending. Similarly, the Asia-Pacific area is developing at a higher rate due to rising demand for sustainable packaging due to increasing population demand and increasing investment by leading food and beverage manufacturers, which drives demand for child resistant packaging.
Child Resistant Packaging Market Competitive Landscape
The child resistant packaging market is moderately competitive with the presence of local as well as global companies. Some of the key players contributing to the market's growth include WINPAK LTD, WestRock Company, Amcor plc, Colbert Packaging, Korber Medipak Systems GmbH, ABC Packaging, Direct Carow Packaging Inc., Comar LLC, CONSTANTIA, Ecobliss Holding BV and among others.
The major players are adopting several growth strategies such as product launches, acquisitions and collaborations, which are contributing to the growth of the Child Resistant Packaging Market globally.
For instance, on January 20, 2020, Origin Pharma Packaging launched a piece of newly designed child-resistant jar packaging for the medicinal cannabis industry. The newly designed child-resistant jar supports the flower product, often prescribed as' buds in certain European countries.'
Overview: Winpak LTD is a major manufacturer, distributor, and supplier of high-quality packaging materials and packaging machines and goods. The firm was established in 1977 and is headquartered in Manitoba, Canada. Winpak's products are generally used for beverage packaging, perishable food packaging and healthcare packaging. Bags, pouches, thermoforming films, specialty films, horizontal & vertical films, trays, cups and lidding are among the items offered by the company to a variety of end-user sectors, including healthcare, food and drinks.
Product Portfolio: The company has a product portfolio of electrical coating insulation that includes:
- Horizontal flowpak: Horizontal Flowpak is a 12-layer sophisticated extrusion structure. It can be utilized as an oxygen barrier and a carbon dioxide permeable material. Horizontal Flowpak is also available in translucent pigmented hues and UV barriers.
Key Development: Winpak joined the polypropylene recycling coalition on July 8, 2020, which manufactures critical rigid and flexible packaging for the food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the composition of the child resistant packaging market segmentation by product, material, packaging type and end-user, highlighting the key commercial assets and players.
- Identify commercial opportunities in child resistant packaging market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of child-resistant packaging market-level 4/5 segmentation data points.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the key product of all major market players
The global child resistant packaging market report would provide access to an approx. 69 market data table, 77 figures and 180 pages
Target Audience 2022
- Service Providers/ Buyers
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Table of Contents
1. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market Methodology and Scope
- 1.1. Research Methodology
- 1.2. Research Objective and Scope of the Report
2. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - Market Definition and Overview
3. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - Executive Summary
- 3.1. Market Snippet by Product
- 3.2. Market Snippet by Material
- 3.3. Market Snippet by Packaging Type
- 3.4. Market Snippet by End-User
- 3.5. Market Snippet by Region
4. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - Market Dynamics
- 4.1. Market Impacting Factors
- 4.1.1. Drivers
- 18.104.22.168. Increasing child poisoning cases associated with various industries
- 22.214.171.124. XX
- 4.1.2. Restraints
- 126.96.36.199. High price points compared to alternatives
- 188.8.131.52. XX
- 4.1.3. Opportunity
- 4.1.4. Impact Analysis
5. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.2. Supply Chain Analysis
- 5.3. Pricing Analysis
- 5.4. Regulatory Analysis
6. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - COVID-19 Analysis
- 6.1. Analysis of COVID-19 on the Market
- 6.1.1. Before COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.2. Present COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.3. After COVID-19 or Future Scenario
- 6.2. Pricing Dynamics Amid COVID-19
- 6.3. Demand-Supply Spectrum
- 6.4. Government Initiatives Related to the Market During Pandemic
- 6.5. Manufacturers Strategic Initiatives
- 6.6. Conclusion
7. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - By Product
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.1.1. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product
- 7.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Product
- 7.2. Caps and Closure*
- 7.2.1. Introduction
- 7.2.2. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 7.3. Blister and Clamshells
- 7.4. Joint Container Tubes
- 7.5. Bags and Pouches
- 7.6. Cartons
- 7.7. Others
8. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - By Material
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.1.1. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Material Segment
- 8.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Material Segment
- 8.2. Paper & Paperboards*
- 8.2.1. Introduction
- 8.2.2. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 8.3. Glass
- 8.4. Plastic
- 8.5. Metal
- 8.6. Others
9. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - By Packaging Type
- 9.1. Introduction
- 9.1.1. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Packaging Type Segment
- 9.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Packaging Type Segment
- 9.2. Non-Reclosable Packaging*
- 9.2.1. Introduction
- 9.2.2. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 9.3. Reclosable Packaging
- 9.4. Special Blister Packaging
10. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - By End-User
- 10.1. Introduction
- 10.1.1. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 10.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By End-User
- 10.2. Cosmetics & Personal Care*
- 10.2.1. Introduction
- 10.2.2. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 10.3. Home Care & Toiletries
- 10.4. Chemical & Fertilizers
- 10.5. Automotive
- 10.6. Pharmaceuticals
- 10.7. Cannabis
- 10.8. Food and Beverages
- 10.9. Tobacco
- 10.10. Others
11. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - By Region
- 11.1. Introduction
- 11.1.1. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Region
- 11.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Region
- 11.2. North America
- 11.2.1. Introduction
- 11.2.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.2.3. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product
- 11.2.4. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Material
- 11.2.5. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Packaging Type
- 11.2.6. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 11.2.7. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 184.108.40.206. U.S.
- 220.127.116.11. Canada
- 18.104.22.168. Mexico
- 11.3. Europe
- 11.3.1. Introduction
- 11.3.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.3.3. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product
- 11.3.4. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Material
- 11.3.5. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Packaging Type
- 11.3.6. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 11.3.7. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 22.214.171.124. Germany
- 126.96.36.199. UK
- 188.8.131.52. France
- 184.108.40.206. Italy
- 220.127.116.11. Spain
- 18.104.22.168. Rest of Europe
- 11.4. South America
- 11.4.1. Introduction
- 11.4.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.4.3. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product
- 11.4.4. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Material
- 11.4.5. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Packaging Type
- 11.4.6. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 11.4.7. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 22.214.171.124. Brazil
- 126.96.36.199. Argentina
- 188.8.131.52. Rest of South America
- 11.5. Asia-Pacific
- 11.5.1. Introduction
- 11.5.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.5.3. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product
- 11.5.4. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Material
- 11.5.5. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Packaging Type
- 11.5.6. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 11.5.7. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 184.108.40.206. China
- 220.127.116.11. India
- 18.104.22.168. Japan
- 22.214.171.124. Australia
- 126.96.36.199. Rest of Asia Pacific
- 11.6. Middle East and Africa
- 11.6.1. Introduction
- 11.6.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 11.6.3. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product
- 11.6.4. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Material
- 11.6.5. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Packaging Type
- 11.6.6. Market Size Analysis and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
12. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - Competitive Landscape
- 12.1. Competitive Scenario
- 12.2. Market Positioning/Share Analysis
- 12.3. Mergers and Acquisitions Analysis
13. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market- Company Profiles
- 13.1. Berry Global Inc*
- 13.1.1. Company Overview
- 13.1.2. Product Portfolio and Description
- 13.1.3. Key Highlights
- 13.1.4. Financial Overview
- 13.2. WestRock Company
- 13.3. Amcor plc
- 13.4. WINPAK LTD
- 13.5. Colbert Packaging
- 13.6. Korber Medipak Systems GmbH
- 13.7. ABC Packaging Direct
- 13.8. Carow Packaging Inc.
- 13.9. Comar LLC
- 13.10. CONSTANTIA
- 13.11. Ecobliss Holding BV
LIST NOT EXHAUSTIVE
14. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - Premium Insights
15. Global Child Resistant Packaging Market - DataM
- 15.1. Appendix
- 15.2. About Us and Services
- 15.3. Contact Us