The global ultrasound gels market size was valued at US$ XX million in 2020 and is estimated to reach US$ XX million by 2028, growing at a CAGR of XX % during the forecast period (2021-2028).
Ultrasound gel is a conductive medium that bonds the skin to the ultrasound transducer. Because ultrasound sound waves have a difficult time travelling through the air, the gel prevents any extra air space between the probe and skin, allowing a clear image of the foetus to be created.
The increasing use of ultrasound procedures is one major driver expected to rise the market growth.
The increasing number of ultrasound procedures is expected to drive the market growth in the forecast period
Ultrasound imaging creates images of the inside of the body by using sound waves. It aids in the diagnosis of pain, swelling, and infection in the body's internal organs, as well as the examination of a pregnant woman's unborn child (foetus). Ultrasound is commonly used in infants to evaluate the brain, hips, and spine.
The increased use of ultrasound may undoubtedly expand the ultrasound gel market. For instance, according to NHS diagnostic imaging statistics, between September 2018 and 2019, ultrasound accounted for approximately 23% of the 45 million procedures performed. Moreover, the rising technological advancements, such as the incorporation of artificial intelligence (AI) and point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS), are likely to result in healthcare practitioners' greater adoption of these systems. Improvements in ultrasound gels to make them odourless, colourless, glycerin-free, and formaldehyde-free, such as Parker Laboratories' Aquasonic Clear, may further fuel market growth. Furthermore, these gels are inexpensive, simple to use, and completely safe.
The limitations associated with ultrasound gels are expected to hamper the global ultrasound gels market
Some ultrasound gels can leave a greasy, sticky, or tacky residue on the skin and cause drying and flaking. This is usually the case with oil-based gels or those that contain propylene glycol as a conditioning agent. Bacterial contamination in ultrasound gel is extremely rare. However, because ultrasound jelly is moist, ideal for bacterial growth, the FDA has restricted the use of multi-use bottles in settings where cross-contamination is high and the refilling of ultrasound gel containers.
For instance, on August 4, 2021, all Eco-Med ultrasound gels and lotions were recalled due to the risk of bacterial contamination with the Burkholderia cepacia complex. The FDA confirmed, independently, that the distributed product tested positive for bacterial contamination. The use of contaminated Bcc ultrasound gels and lotions may result in serious infections, including bloodstream infections, leading to sepsis or death. According to the CDC, there have been at least 66 infections associated with these affected products, including 60 bloodstream infections as of August 31, 2021.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
During the initial stages of the COVID-19, there was an increase in the number of patients, prompting hospitals to prioritise emergency procedures over electives to reduce viral infection transmission. As a result, elective ultrasound procedures were postponed or cancelled. Early diagnosis of COVID-19 patients may aid in better management and care. As a result, the use of portable imaging devices such as X-rays, CT scans, and ultrasounds increased. Point-of-care ultrasound has recently been reported to reduce the use of medical devices and health care worker-patient interactions to only the necessary procedures in managing COVID-19 patients. Lung ultrasound may also help clinicians determine when a patient is on the clinical spectrum of COVID-19-associated pulmonary injury.
The FDA directed the healthcare sector in April 2020 to increase the availability of medical X-rays, ultrasounds, and MRI systems. For instance, on August 4, 2020, the WHO released technical specifications for imaging devices, such as portable ultrasound, used in patient care during COVID-19. As a result, the use of ultrasound systems during emergencies contributed to the positive impact on the global ultrasound gel market.
Sterile ultrasound gel is expected to dominate the market growth
Ultrasound gel is an essential component of any ultrasound exam or procedure. An aqueous solution must be applied to the skin's surface for the ultrasound scanner to function. Ultrasound users must consider the type of gel they will use and the type of probe cover they will use when used in the operating room or in exams where the risk of infection is high. Ultrasound gel, while often overlooked, can harbor pathogens and lead to healthcare-associated infections. This is especially true when refillable bottles are used instead of single-use sterile gel packets. When it comes to infection control, the main feature that clinicians should emphasize is using single-use sterile ultrasound gel. Ultrasound gel comes in a variety of colours, clear, blue, or pink and shapes dispenser bottles or single-use packets, but when it comes to infection control, the main feature that clinicians should emphasize is non-sterile vs. sterile. The use of sterile gel helps maintain the sterility of interventional settings while also lowering the risk of healthcare-associated infections.
Sterile ultrasound gel is used for invasive procedures, i.e., any ultrasound-guided procedure that involves passing a device through tissue, such as intravenous line insertion or fine-needle aspiration, where there is contact with non-intact skin, where there is contact with mucous membrane (e.g., for transrectal or transvaginal procedures) (such as in high dependency settings). For instance, Optimum Medical Limited is manufacturing Vue Ultrasound Gel, which comes in 20ml single-use sachets, making it ideal for use in a busy clinic or hospital. These sachets are lightweight, conveniently sized to reduce waste, and have a 5-year shelf life. The single-use sachet design is intended to reduce the possibility of patient-to-patient cross-contamination. Hence, with the increasing use of single-use sachets in hospitals and clinics, this segment is expected to dominate the market in the forecast period.
North America region is expected to hold the largest market share in the global ultrasound gels market
The presence of better healthcare facilities, an increasing number of diagnostic centers and diseases is expected to fuel the market growth in this region.
The rising number of diagnostic imaging centers in the united states is estimated to drive the market growth in this region. For instance, as of 2021, there are 9,992 Diagnostic Imaging Centers businesses in the United States, a -2.8 percent decrease from 2020. Most women have an ultrasound between 18 and 20 weeks of pregnancy during their second trimester. Before 14 weeks of pregnancy, some women have a first-trimester ultrasound (also known as an early ultrasound). Hence the demand for ultrasound is expected to increase with the pregnancy rate. For instance, the projected number of births in the United States in 2020 was 3,605,201. The fertility rate was 55.8 births per 1,000 women aged 15-44.
The global ultrasound gels market is highly competitive with the rising number of diagnostic procedures, product launches, company mergers. Some of the major players in the market are Compass Health Brands., National Therapy Products Inc., HR Pharmaceuticals Inc., Kiran, Medline Industries Inc., Parker Laboratories Inc., Eco-Med Pharmaceutical Inc., Besmed Health Business Corporation, Ultragel Hungary, Optimum Medical Limited.
HR Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Overview: HR is a family-owned business that develops, manufactures, and distributes high-quality products to many markets. The company was founded in 2008 and has headquarters in Pennsylvania, United States.
Product Portfolio: The company's brand includes EcoVue Ultrasound Gel was created for today's ultrasound procedures and a wide range of diagnostic applications.
Key Development: On April 29, 2021, HR Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Global Medical Solutions, Ltd. have agreed to distribute HR's EcoVue Ultrasound Gel in GMS's Asia-Pacific territories. EcoVue Ultrasound Gel will be registered, distributed, and marketed by GMS in Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Myanmar, New Zealand, the Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the composition of the global ultrasound gels market segmentation by product type and end-user, highlighting the key commercial assets and players.
- Identify commercial opportunities in global ultrasound gels market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of global ultrasound gels market - level 4/5 segmentation.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the key product of all major market players
The global ultrasound gels market report would provide an access to an approx. 45+market data table, 40+ figures and 180 pages.
- Service Providers/ Buyers
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Global Ultrasound Gels Market - By Product Type
Global Ultrasound Gels Market - By End User
- Diagnostic Centers
Global Ultrasound Gels Market - By Region
- North America
- South America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
Table of Contents
1. Global Ultrasound Gels Market Methodology and Scope
- 1.1. Research Methodology
- 1.2. Research Objective and Scope of the Report
2. Global Ultrasound Gels Market - Market Definition and Overview
3. Global Ultrasound Gels Market - Executive Summary
- 3.1. Market Snippet By Product Type
- 3.2. Market Snippet By End User
- 3.3. Market Snippet By Region
4. Global Ultrasound Gels Market-Market Dynamics
- 4.1. Market Impacting Factors
- 4.1.1. Drivers
- 184.108.40.206. The increasing number of ultrasound procedures
- 4.1.2. Restraints:
- 220.127.116.11. The limitations associated with ultrasound gels
- 4.1.3. Opportunity
- 4.1.4. Impact Analysis
5. Global Ultrasound Gels Market - Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.2. Epidemiology Analysis
- 5.3. Supply Chain Analysis
- 5.4. Pricing Analysis
- 5.5. Regulatory Analysis
- 5.6. Reimbursement Analysis
- 5.7. Unmet Needs
6. Global Ultrasound Gels Market - COVID-19 Analysis
- 6.1. Analysis of Covid-19 on the Market
- 6.1.1. Before COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.2. Present COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.3. After COVID-19 or Future Scenario
- 6.2. Pricing Dynamics Amid Covid-19
- 6.3. Demand-Supply Spectrum
- 6.4. Government Initiatives Related to the Market During Pandemic
- 6.5. Manufacturers Strategic Initiatives
- 6.6. Conclusion
7. Global Ultrasound Gels Market - By Product Type
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 7.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Product Type
- 7.2. Sterile*
- 7.2.1. Introduction
- 7.2.2. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2019-2028 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2020-2028
- 7.3. Non-sterile
8. Global Ultrasound Gels Market - By End User
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
- 8.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By End User
- 8.2. Hospitals/Clinics*
- 8.2.1. Introduction
- 8.2.2. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2019-2028 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2020-2028
- 8.3. Diagnostic Centers
- 8.4. Others
9. Global Ultrasound Gels Market - By Region
- 9.1. Introduction
- 9.1.1. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2019-2028 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2020-2028, By Region
- 9.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Region
- 9.2. North America
- 9.2.1. Introduction
- 9.2.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.2.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 9.2.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
- 9.2.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 18.104.22.168. U.S.
- 22.214.171.124. Canada
- 126.96.36.199. Mexico
- 9.3. Europe
- 9.3.1. Introduction
- 9.3.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.3.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 9.3.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
- 9.3.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 188.8.131.52. Germany
- 184.108.40.206. U.K.
- 220.127.116.11. France
- 18.104.22.168. Italy
- 22.214.171.124. Spain
- 126.96.36.199. Rest of Europe
- 9.4. South America
- 9.4.1. Introduction
- 9.4.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.4.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 9.4.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
- 9.4.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 188.8.131.52. Brazil
- 184.108.40.206. Argentina
- 220.127.116.11. Rest of South America
- 9.5. Asia Pacific
- 9.5.1. Introduction
- 9.5.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.5.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 9.5.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
- 9.5.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 18.104.22.168. China
- 22.214.171.124. India
- 126.96.36.199. Japan
- 188.8.131.52. Australia
- 184.108.40.206. Rest of Asia Pacific
- 9.6. Middle East and Africa
- 9.6.1. Introduction
- 9.6.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.6.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 9.6.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End User
10. Global Ultrasound Gels Market - Competitive Landscape
- 10.1. Key Developments and Strategies
- 10.2. Company Share Analysis
- 10.3. Product Benchmarking
11. Global Ultrasound Gels Market Company Profiles
- 11.1. HR Pharmaceuticals Inc.*
- 11.1.1. Company Overview
- 11.1.2. Product Portfolio and Description
- 11.1.3. Key Highlights
- 11.1.4. Financial Overview
- 11.2. Compass Health Brands
- 11.3. National Therapy Products Inc.
- 11.4. Kiran
- 11.5. Medline Industries Inc.,
- 11.6. Parker Laboratories Inc
- 11.7. Eco-Med Pharmaceutical Inc.
- 11.8. Besmed Health Business Corporation
- 11.9. Ultragel Hungary
- 11.10. Optimum Medical Limited
LIST NOT EXHAUSTIVE
12. Global Ultrasound Gels Market - DataM
- 12.1. Appendix
- 12.2. About Us and Services
- 12.3. Contact Us