Lamination adhesives are widely used for providing the proper bonding of the metal substrates or plastics with each other and keeping them intact together. The Lamination adhesives are used for producing flexible packaging for the consumer durables and pharmaceutical industries. These adhesives are used for packaging the medicines and laminating of medical trays, and other surgical equipment. Lamination adhesives are useful for the amination of roofs, window glass, textiles, and medical wear. The global laminating adhesives market valued USD XX million in 2018 and it is expected to grow at a CAGR of XX% to reach USD XX million by 2026.
The market is driven by the rising demand for the laminating adhesives for the packaging materials of snacks, confectionery, meat, cheese, agricultural chemicals, medical products, and others due to advantages of laminating adhesives such as excellent chemical and heat resistance, excellent machine performance, excellent transparency, excellent wettability, high initial and final bond strength, high slip, and compatibility suitable for a wide range of machine speeds.
There is an increase in the launch of the product for the laminating adhesive. For instance, in April 2018, Uflex Limited had launched the general performance 2K solvent-based PU laminating adhesive under FLEXBON Brand for food packaging and general applications. The FLEXBON 162R/162 is a General Performance solvent-based product and can be used at higher application solids of between 45% and 50%. This product has good wettability and solvent release during lamination. It provides the good adhesion on all metallised and non-metallised films and is easy-to-handle.
In August 2018, Brilliant Polymers had launched the series of the new innovative solvent-free adhesives for flexible packaging applications. Brilliant S621 / S279 is the new low viscosity solvent-free adhesive system especially designed for high-speed laminations involving metalized films. Brilliant S631 / S310 has the unique properties and can be used for lamination involving metalized films as well as for lamination involving thin gauge polyethylene films, with a negligible impact on COF after lamination. Brilliant S717 is a single component solvent-free adhesive with wide-ranging applications including lamination with paper and board, carton manufacturing, graphic arts, and other industrial applications. It is user friendly and offers low viscosity, and yet offers a fast cure rate in laminates.
However, high capital cost, energy consumption, and stringent regulations associated with the use of lamination adhesives are hindering the market growth. There are stringent regulations imposed by the several regulatory bodies such as Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH), the European Union (EU), Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation, and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH), Globally Harmonized System (GHS), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and that vary as per the country. It is essential for the manufacturers to follow the regulations regarding the production and usage of laminating adhesives in various industries imposed by the regulatory bodies. Therefore, the manufacturers have to shift from the solvent-based to water-based technology. The higher production costs and higher drying time associated with water-based technology could have a negative impact on the market.
The global laminating adhesives market is segmented based on the technology as the solvent-based, solventless, water-based, and others. The solvent-based segment accounts for the highest market share due to the higher penetration of the solvent-based technology for laminating adhesives as this technology provides high bond strength, lower emission, and lesser cure time. It is easy to apply the solvent-based adhesives. Further, it is expected that the solvent-based segment would lose its market over the forecasted period as the fumes of the solvent-based laminating adhesives are hazardous to human health. It is necessary to remove the solvents by evaporation otherwise it would cause air pollution. The traces of the solvent remain in laminate constructions made from solvent-based adhesives that could enter into the can enter the packaged product and contaminate the material present inside.
The water-based laminating adhesives segment is expected to have positive market growth as several manufacturers are using the water-based technology instead of the solvent-based laminating adhesives due to the growing environment and sustainability concern. The water-based laminating adhesives comprised of the combination of vinyl or acrylic latexes with water dispersed urethane resins containing ionic groups, compounded with aziridine or water-dispersible isocyanates as an adhesion promoter or cross-linker to impart the properties of adhesiveness, heat resistance, and water resistance. It is further expected that the water-based laminating adhesives segment would dominate the market over the forecasted period.
Further, the market is also classified based on the end-users as packaging, industrial, automotive & transportation. The packaging segment accounts for the highest market share due to the rising adoption of the flexible packaging that involves the use of the laminating adhesives. The laminating in flexible packaging involves joining the two or more packaging webs with the help of the bonding agent that can be films, papers, or aluminum foils. The laminating adhesive is used to the less absorbent substrate of the web. There is an increase in the number of manufacturing units, food processing plants, and increasing industrial production. The use of the laminating adhesives provides the advantages such as lightweight, easy handling, less space-consuming, longer shelf life, easy transit, damage resistance, and better printability to the packaging industries.
The automotive & transportation segment is expected to have positive market growth as the laminating adhesives are an ideal choice for the replacement for nuts & bolts and other conventional techniques because the lesser energy spent for the production of adhesives. The laminating adhesives provide more bonding strength. The automobile industry involves the use of the lamination adhesives for providing the superior quality and appearance to the interior dashboard laminations, seat laminations, and door panel laminations to the automobiles. The laminating adhesives are also used in body panels, fenders, heat shields, headlamp reflectors, and pick up boxes in automotive.
By region, the global laminating adhesives market is segmented into North America, South America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle-East, and Africa. Among all of the regions, Asia-Pacific dominated the global laminating adhesives market and expected to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecasted period due to the high usage of the laminating adhesives in the packaging industries including the medical packaging, food packaging, tea, and coffee packaging. The laminating adhesives are used across the flexible packaging industry for paper, film, and foils conversion. There is high adoption of the solvent-free products that are specially designed that provide the environmentally-friendly, and low-cost adhesive for production at high speed. The rapid market growth is expected to be observed in the developing countries especially India and China due to the rapid growth in the packaging, electronics, and construction industries. The growing disposable income and purchasing power of the middle-class population shall boost the demand for laminating adhesives over the forecasted period.
Europe accounts for the positive market growth over the forecasted period due to the extensive research and development activities for existing product innovation and new products with the rising demand for the laminating adhesives in the various industries. There is growing investment for the developing lamination techniques which can produce final products with reduced VOC emissions. There is increasing usage of the laminating adhesives in the automotive and construction industries.
The global laminating adhesives market is highly competitive with the presence of several international and local markets. Henkel AG & Co., H.B. Fuller Company, 3M, Dowdupont Inc., Ashland Inc., Arkema (Bostik), and DIC Corporation are the leading market players with significant market share.
The major players are using product development, novel product launch, capacity utilization, and market expansion strategies for holding their position in the market. For instance, in February 2020, Henkel Adhesives Technologies India Private Ltd. had opened its new production facility at Kurkumbh, near Pune to cater to the domestic demand. The firm had invested Euros 50 million to set up the first two phases and would invest another €50 million in the next five years. This facility would serve the growing demand for high-performance solutions in adhesives, sealants, and surface treatment products.
The companies are entering into the collaborations, acquisitions, mergers, market expansion, capacity utilization, and product diversification strategies for holding their position in the market. For instance, In March 2019, Arkema had acquired the Bostik, a world-leading supplier of laminating adhesive and other specific purpose adhesives. This acquisition would help the company to become a world leader in specialty chemicals and advanced materials.
In January 2019, Nordmeccanica had entered into the collaboration with the COIM Group for the development of an adhesive technology suitable for high production and quality performance in the lamination of high barrier structures in flexible packaging. This technology combines the benefit of a proper formulation and proper coating technique.
In September 2017, H.B. Fuller Company had entered into an agreement to purchase Royal Adhesives & Sealants, a leading manufacturer of high-value specialty adhesives and sealants. This acquisition would help in enhancing the H.B. Fuller Company's position as a global leader in the adhesives industry.
In November 2016, Ashland had entered into the collaboration with the HP for developing the laminating adhesives and coatings that are compatible with HP Indigo ElectroInk, reinforcing the viability of digitally printed labels and flexible packaging.
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the composition of the global laminating adhesives market products in terms of technology and end-users highlighting the critical commercial assets and players.
- Identify commercial opportunities in the global laminating adhesives market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of global laminating adhesives market-level 4/5 segmentation.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- *The global laminating adhesives market report will provide access to approximately 53 market data tables, 44 figures, and 178 pages
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Table of Contents
1. Global Laminating Adhesives Market Methodology and Scope
- 1.1. Research Methodology
- 1.2. Research Objective and Scope of the Report
2. Global Laminating Adhesives Market - Market Definition and Overview
3. Global Laminating Adhesives Market - Executive Summary
- 3.1. Market Snippet by Technology
- 3.2. Market Snippet by End-Users
- 3.3. Market Snippet by Region
4. Global Laminating Adhesives Market Dynamics
- 4.1. Market Impacting Factors
- 4.1.1. Drivers
- 4.1.2. Restraints
- 4.1.3. Impact Analysis
- 4.2. Opportunity
5. Global Laminating Adhesives Market - Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.2. Supply Chain Analysis
- 5.3. Regulatory Analysis
- 5.4. Pricing Analysis
6. Global Laminating Adhesives Market - By Technology
- 6.1. Introduction
- 6.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 6.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Technology
- 6.1.3. Solvent-Based*
- 22.214.171.124. Introduction
- 126.96.36.199. Market Size Analysis, US$ Mn, 2016-2025 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2018-2026
- 6.2. Water-Based
- 6.3. Solvent-Less
- 6.4. Others
7. Global Laminating Adhesives Market - By End-Users
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-Users
- 7.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By End-Users
- 7.2. Packaging*
- 7.2.1. Introduction
- 7.2.2. Market Size Analysis, USD Mn, 2016-2025 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2018-2026
- 7.2.3. Food & Beverage
- 7.2.4. Pharmaceuticals
- 7.2.5. Consumer Products
- 7.3. Industrial
- 7.3.1. Insulation
- 7.3.2. Window Films
- 7.3.3. Electronics
- 7.3.4. Other Applications
- 7.4. Automotive & Transportation
- 7.5. Others
8. Global Laminating Adhesives Market - By Region
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Region
- 8.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Region
- 8.2. North America
- 8.2.1. Introduction
- 8.2.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 8.2.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 8.2.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-Users
- 8.2.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 188.8.131.52. U.S.
- 184.108.40.206. Canada
- 220.127.116.11. Mexico
- 8.3. Europe
- 8.3.1. Introduction
- 8.3.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 8.3.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 8.3.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-Users
- 8.3.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 18.104.22.168. Germany
- 22.214.171.124. U.K.
- 126.96.36.199. France
- 188.8.131.52. Rest of Europe
- 8.4. South America
- 8.4.1. Introduction
- 8.4.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 8.4.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 8.4.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-Users
- 8.4.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 184.108.40.206. Brazil
- 220.127.116.11. Argentina
- 18.104.22.168. Rest of South America
- 8.5. Asia Pacific
- 8.5.1. Introduction
- 8.5.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 8.5.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 8.5.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-Users
- 8.5.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 22.214.171.124. China
- 126.96.36.199. India
- 188.8.131.52. Japan
- 184.108.40.206. Australia
- 220.127.116.11. Rest of Asia Pacific
- 8.6. Middle East and Africa
- 8.6.1. Introduction
- 8.6.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 8.6.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Technology
- 8.6.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-Users
9. Global Laminating Adhesives Market Competitive Landscape
- 9.1. Competitive Scenario
- 9.2. Market Positioning/Share Analysis
- 9.3. Mergers and Acquisitions Analysis
10. Global Laminating Adhesives Market Company Profiles
- 10.1. Henkel AG & Co.*
- 10.1.1. Company Overview
- 10.1.2. Form Portfolio and Description
- 10.1.3. Key Highlights
- 10.1.4. Financial Overview
- 10.2. H.B. Fuller Company
- 10.3. 3M
- 10.4. Dowdupont Inc.
- 10.5. Ashland Inc.
- 10.6. Arkema (Bostik)
- 10.7. DIC Corporation
- 10.8. Coim Group
- 10.9. Vimasco Corporation
- 10.10. Flint Group
- List is not exhaustive
11. Global Laminating Adhesives Market - Premium Insights
12. Global Laminating Adhesives Market - DataM
- 12.1. Appendix
- 12.2. About Us and Services
- 12.3. Contact Us