Commodity plastics are produced in high volumes for various applications where exceptional material properties are not required, such as food containers, household products, and packaging. In contrast to engineering plastics, commodity plastics tends to be low-priced to produce and unveil relatively weak mechanical properties. Few examples of commodity plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride, and poly (methyl methacrylate). The most widely used thermoplastic in the global market includes both Polyethylene and Polypropylene.
The global commodity plastics market size was worth US$ XX billion in 2019 and further predicted to reach US$ XX billion by 2027, at a CAGR of XX% during the forecast period (2020-2027).
The key driving factors in the global market include an increased disposable income-generating high demand for consumer goods, growing packaging industry, and increasing production of lightweight electric vehicles, and rising metal prices.
Growing packaging industry
The global packaging industry is growing rapidly due to the increasing demand for packaging in almost every end-use industry. Moreover, the emergence of the e-commerce industry has further fueled the packaging industry's growth, which directly impacts the commodity plastics market's development. Packaging became an essential requirement for marketing to attract customers as well as for the safety of the products. Additionally, value-added packaging has emerged in the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) industry to prompt customers to buy new products.
The flexible packaging industry experienced high growth in 2019 and registering a higher growth rate, which will create significant growth opportunities in the global commodity plastics market. Moreover, increasing demand for plastic packaging is expected to continue during the forecast period and is anticipated to drive the market for commodity plastics.
Strignent environmental concerns over plastic waste
The key factor restraint the growth of the commodity plastics market is increasing concerns over plastic waste. Plastic waste is a major environmental concern owing to its very low degradation rate. Plastic waste is either recycled or dumped in the ocean or landfills. Dumping plastics in landfills degrades the quality of the soil and can release harmful chemicals, which can come into contact with groundwater and pose severe health hazards. These factors are expected to hamper the growth of the commodity plastics market over the forecast period. Moreover, due to increasing environmental concerns, many organizations are promoting the use of paper or cloth-based products instead of plastic, which may hinder the growth of the commodity plastic market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The advent of the global pandemic, COVID-19 has brought about making a worldwide emergency in the FMCG business. More than 195 nations worldwide are affected by COVID-19; the pandemic has just made financial settings worldwide, implying the subsequent worldwide downturn. Various governments attempt solid activities for containing the flare-up. In any case, social distancing adversely affects the FMCG business. Strategic issues, the absence of a sufficient workforce, and tasks restricting to creating just fundamental things are a portion of a couple of models most FMCG organizations are looking at across the globe. Thus, the commodity plastics market also suffered in various end-use industries but gained traction in the e-commerce business, including food and vegetable home delivery.
Based on the type, the commodity plastics market has been classified into polyethylene, polypropylene, polyvinyl chloride, polystyrene, acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, polyethylene terephthalate and poly methyl methacrylate.
The polyethylene terephthalate segment is projected to be the fastest-growing type in the market during the forecast period.
Polyethylene terephthalates are the plastic resins and the most regularly utilized plastic material. An enormous number of consumer products, beverages, and food things are packaged and delivered with this material. PET is produced from polyester and has great water and dampness properties, due to which it is utilized in the assembling of soda bottles. It has a wide scope of textile applications. Polyethylene terephthalate plastic is endorsed as safe for food and beverages contact by the FDA and similar administrative agencies all through the world.
Based on the end-use, the commodity plastics market has been classified into packaging, automotive, electronic, consumer goods, construction, textiles, medical & pharmaceuticals and others.
Packaging to be most opportunistic industry for the commodity plastics market.
Packaging protects products during processing, storage, and distribution. The aim of any packaging system is to prevent or delay undesirable changes in texture, flavor, appearance, and odor. Customers' dismissal of the item is possible if the mentioned quality isn't met. Hence, another specialized technical tool is introduced in the market called 'Active and Intelligent Packaging,' which better controls the food from training/spoiling and keeps up its quality. The packaging is a fundamental indispensable process for preserving and transporting goods. It obliges various sectors, for example, retail, institutional, and modern. Changing consumers' lifestyle with increasing purchasing power has resulted in an expansion in the significance of plastics as packaging products.
Based on geography, the study analyzes the commodity plastics market in the global market, including North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Middle East & Africa.
APAC is expected to dominate the global commodity plastics market
APAC is expected to dominate the global commodity plastics market. The APAC commodity plastics market is driven by China, ASEAN, and India. With the increased e-commerce industry, India is expected to create significant growth opportunities as India's e-commerce industry is growing with a double-digit growth rate. Moreover, increasing population, industrialization, and urbanization are augmenting the commodity plastics market growth across the region. China's advent as a global manufacturing hub has increased the demand for commodity plastics. Cheap labor and easy availability of raw materials boost the production of these products in the region.
The commodity plastics market is highly competitive, owing to the presence of big food brands. The key commodity plastics players which are contributing to the growth of the global market include Exxon Mobil, LG Chem, Sumitomo Chemical, The Dow Chemical Company, SABIC, BASF SE, LyondellBasell, Sinopec, Ineos, End Useosa Plastics, Mitsubishi Chemical, Borealis AG, Chevron Phillips Chemical, ENI SpA, Reliance Industries, Shaoxing Jenza Daily Products Co., Ltd., Jiangyin Meixiyan Packaging Products Co., Ltd., Zhangjiagang City Tianjiang Precision Mould Manufacture Co., Ltd., and Ningbo Longway Packaging S&T Co., Ltd., among others. The major players are adopting new product launch and expansion strategies for global growth in the commodity plastics market.
Exxon Mobil Corp. engages in the development, exploration, and distribution of oil, gas, and petroleum products. It operates through the following segments: Downstream, Upstream and Chemical. The Upstream segment produces crude oil and natural gas. The Downstream segment manufactures and trades petroleum products. The Chemical segment offers petrochemicals. The company was founded by John D. Rockefeller in 1882 and is headquartered in Irving, TX.
Product Portfolio: The Company's portfolio comprises polyethylene products, polymer modifiers. polyolefin plastomers and elastomers, among others
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the commodity plastics market segmentation composition by type, end-use and region, highlighting the critical commercial assets and players.
- Identify commercial opportunities in the commodity plastics market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of commodity plastics market - level 3 segmentation.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the key product of all major market players
The global commodity plastics market report would provide access to an approx. 57 market data table, 57 figures and 250 pages.
- Service Providers/ Buyers
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Table of Contents
1. Global Commodity Plastics Market Methodology and Scope
- 1.1. Research Methodology
- 1.2. Research Objective and Scope of the Report
2. Global Commodity Plastics Market - Market Definition and Overview
3. Global Commodity Plastics Market - Executive Summary
- 3.1. Market Snippet by Type
- 3.2. Market Snippet by End Use
- 3.3. Market Snippet by Region
4. Global Commodity Plastics Market - Market Dynamics
- 4.1. Market Impacting Factors
- 4.1.1. Drivers
- 184.108.40.206. Growing packaging industry
- 220.127.116.11. Increasing demand from e-commerce industry
- 4.1.2. Restraints:
- 18.104.22.168. Stringent environmental concerns over plastic waste
- 4.1.3. Impact Analysis
5. Global Commodity Plastics Market - Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.2. Supply Chain Analysis
- 5.3. Value Chain Analysis
- 5.4. PEST Analysis
- 5.5. Pricing Analysis
- 5.6. Regulatory Analysis
- 5.7. Reimbursement Analysis
- 5.8. Unmet Needs
- 5.9. Patent Trends
6. Global Commodity Plastics Market - COVID-19 Analysis
- 6.1. Analysis of Covid-19 on the Market
- 6.1.1. Before COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.2. Present COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.3. After COVID-19 or Future Scenario
- 6.2. Pricing Dynamics Amid Covid-19
- 6.3. Demand-Supply Spectrum
- 6.4. Government Initiatives Related to the Market During Pandemic
- 6.5. Manufacturers Strategic Initiatives
- 6.6. Conclusion
7. Global Commodity Plastics Market - By Type
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type Segment
- 7.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Type Segment
- 7.3.1. Polyethylene *
- 22.214.171.124. Introduction
- 126.96.36.199. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 7.3.2. Polypropylene
- 7.3.3. Polyvinyl chloride
- 7.3.4. Polystyrene
- 7.3.5. Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene
- 7.3.6. Polyethylene terephthalate
- 7.3.7. Poly methyl methacrylate
8. Global Commodity Plastics Market - By End Use
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End Use Segment
- 8.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By End Use Segment
- 8.3.1. Packaging*
- 188.8.131.52. Introduction
- 184.108.40.206. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 8.3.2. Automotive
- 8.3.3. Electronic
- 8.3.4. Consumer Goods
- 8.3.5. Construction
- 8.3.6. Textiles
- 8.3.7. Medical & Pharmaceuticals
- 8.3.8. Others
9. Global Commodity Plastics Market - By Region
- 9.1. Introduction
- 9.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Region
- 9.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Region
- 9.4. North America
- 9.4.1. Introduction
- 9.4.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.4.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.4.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End Use
- 9.4.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 220.127.116.11. U.S.
- 18.104.22.168. Canada
- 22.214.171.124. Mexico
- 9.5. Europe
- 9.5.1. Introduction
- 9.5.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.5.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.5.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End Use
- 9.5.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 126.96.36.199. Germany
- 188.8.131.52. U.K.
- 184.108.40.206. France
- 220.127.116.11. Italy
- 18.104.22.168. Spain
- 22.214.171.124. Rest of Europe
- 9.6. South America
- 9.6.1. Introduction
- 9.6.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.6.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.6.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End Use
- 9.6.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 126.96.36.199. Brazil
- 188.8.131.52. Argentina
- 184.108.40.206. Rest of South America
- 9.7. Asia Pacific
- 9.7.1. Introduction
- 9.7.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.7.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.7.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End Use
- 9.7.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 220.127.116.11. China
- 18.104.22.168. India
- 22.214.171.124. Japan
- 126.96.36.199. Australia
- 188.8.131.52. Rest of Asia Pacific
- 9.8. Middle East and Africa
- 9.8.1. Introduction
- 9.8.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.8.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.8.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End Use
- 9.8.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
10. Global Commodity Plastics Market - Competitive Landscape
- 10.1. Competitive Scenario
- 10.2. Market Positioning/Share Analysis
- 10.3. Mergers and Acquisitions Analysis
11. Global Commodity Plastics Market- Company Profiles
- 11.1. The Dow Chemical Company*
- 11.1.1. Company Overview
- 11.1.2. Product Portfolio and Description
- 11.1.3. Key Highlights
- 11.1.4. Financial Overview
- 11.2. BASF SE, Lubrizol Corporation
- 11.3. Arkema
- 11.4. Clariant
- 11.5. Croda International Plc.
- 11.6. Akzo Nobel N.V.
- 11.7. Elementis Plc.
- 11.8. BYK Additives & Instruments
- 11.9. Xinxiang Kolanky Technical Co., Ltd.
- 11.10. Anhui Sinograce Chemical Co., Ltd.
- 11.11. Qingdao Goodow New Material Co., Ltd.
- 11.12. Beijing Mayor Chemical Technology Co., Ltd.
- 11.13. Qingdao Yinuoxin New Material Co., Ltd.
LIST NOT EXHAUSTIVE
12. Global Commodity Plastics Market - Premium Insights
13. Global Commodity Plastics Market - DataM Intelligence
- 13.1. Appendix
- 13.2. About Us and Services
- 13.3. Contact Us