The Key to a Sustainable Source of Fuel for Transport
The South African electric vehicle (EV) market is still in its infancy, but is expected to grow at a slow but steady pace over the next five years. South Africa's automotive sector is currently ranked 23rd in terms of manufacturing and is a key player in the international automotive value chain. The EV market is currently restrained due to a variety of factors which include unfavourable EV policy and a lack of infrastructure. International OEMs having a presence in the country have invested heavily in an attempt to grow the market locally. Their global strategies are slowly filtering down into the local South African market, with 20 BEV and PHEV offerings currently available. This number is set to increase over the next few years as more OEMs are introducing their EVs to the South African market. The charging infrastructure is currently lacking, but is expected to expand through upcoming projects, which are likely to necessitate the further uptake of EVs in the country. EV for public transport is currently under consideration within various cities across South Africa; the introduction of EVs will result in a sustainable and local sourcing of transport fuel.
The scope of this study is to cover the passenger EV market in South Africa. The base year of this study is 2017 and forecasts are done until 2022. The geographic scope of this study will only cover South Africa.
The core objectives of this study are the following:
- Provide a strategic overview of the South African EV market, including key trends and opportunities.
- Present market size and forecasts of the EV market, along with details of the existing scenario for the industry and the required plan of action.
- Give a detailed analysis of competitive factors and market shares of key manufacturers and their current product portfolio and capabilities.
- Evaluate attractiveness across the South African market and estimate how scenarios will evolve in this market by 2022.
Key Issues Addressed:
- What is the current status of the EV market in South Africa and what will be the future market scenario in the short, medium and long terms?
- What is the market size in South Africa in 2017, and how is it expected to grow in 2018 and by 2022?
- Who are the major market participants and what are their market shares?
- What is the impact of regulatory and macroeconomic trends on market growth?
- What is the growth potential for the EV market in South Africa?
Table of Contents
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
2. RESEARCH SCOPE
- Research Scope, Aim and Objectives
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Market Definitions and Segmentation
3. DRIVERS AND RESTRAINTS
- Market Drivers
- Market Drivers Explained
- Market Restraints
- Market Restraints Explained
4. MARKET RISKS
- Market Risks
- Market Risks (continued)
5. SOUTH AFRICAN ELECTRIC VEHICLE MARKET OVERVIEW
- Electric Vehicle Sales-2014-2022
- Electric Vehicle Sales-2014-2022 (continued)
- Policy and Incentives
- EV-related Initiatives in South Africa
6. EV BRAND SEGMENTATION
- EV Brand Share
- EV Brand Share (continued)
7. EV INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT
- South Africa's Charging Infrastructure
- Classification of EV Charging Infrastructure
- Charging Infrastructure
- Charging Infrastructure in South Africa
- Infrastructure Developments
- EV Infrastructure Landscape
- Energy Efficiency within Mobility
8. EV IN PUBLIC TRANSPORT
- Integration of EVs in Public Transport
- The City of Cape Town
- The City of Johannesburg
9. EV MANUFACTURING IN SOUTH AFRICA
- Vehicle Manufacturing in South Africa
- EV Manufacturing in South Africa
- Profile-Nissan (continued)
10. TRANSFORMATIONAL SHIFTS IN GLOBAL EV MARKET
- Transformational Shifts Reshaping e-Mobility
- Top Findings Expected to Influence the Global EV Market
- EV Market Outlook 2017-Global
- Global EV Market
- Global Shift to Phasing Out Petrol and Diesel
- Global EV Markets-Europe
- Global EV Markets-China
- Market Developments
- New EV Model Release
- Emergent African EV Markets
11. OPPORTUNITY ANALYSIS FOR EVS IN SOUTH AFRICA
- Opportunities in the EV Ecosystem for South Africa
- EV Ecosystem Opportunities
12. GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES AND COMPANIES TO ACTION
- Growth Opportunity 1-A New EV Ecosystem in South Africa
- Strategic Imperatives for South Africa's EV Industry Players
13. THE LAST WORD
- The Last Word-3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- Abbreviations and Acronyms Used
- List of Exhibits
15. THE FROST & SULLIVAN STORY
- The Frost & Sullivan Story
- Value Proposition-Future of Your Company & Career
- Global Perspective
- Industry Convergence
- 360° Research Perspective
- Implementation Excellence
- Our Blue Ocean Strategy