Lack of Skilled Professionals and Compliance Pressure Drive MSS Adoption
The Japanese managed security services (MSS) market, recording a year-on-year (YoY) growth rate of 14.0% in 2018, is the largest in the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region.
There were several key market drivers in 2018: increased general information technology (IT) investment in Japanese enterprises for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games; Japanese enterprise spending shifting to an 'as a service' instead of 'on-premise' model (despite on-premise being the major revenue contributor); lack of security expertise among the internal IT teams.
In terms of MSS segmentation, customer-premises equipment (CPE)-based management and monitoring services (MMS) accounted for a majority of the revenue in the Japanese market in 2018. The banking, financial services, and insurance (BFSI) vertical continued to be the largest spender in 2018. BFSI companies have always been proactive in adopting effective cybersecurity solutions, and this is expected to continue driving MSS spending in this vertical.
As a major industrial nation globally, Japan will witness IT-OT convergence as one of its growth trends. The need to protect both IT and operational technology (OT) environments is expected to boost the adoption of MSS solutions that address this requirement. Internet of Things (IoT) security considerations are also expected to drive the sector.
In terms of the competitive landscape, home-grown local Japanese managed security service providers (MSSPs) are expected to continue driving the market, as there are many regulatory and compliance hurdles posed by both Japanese enterprises and the government for the foreign MSSPs.
In addition to providing a market growth analysis, this study highlights the key drivers in the managed security services market. These include: persistent lack of cybersecurity professionals; proliferation of cyberattacks and a growing threat landscape for enterprises and governments; growing risk and security awareness among end users in the APAC region; and government support for cybersecurity development and adoption.
Market trends are analyzed from 2017 to 2023, taking 2018 as the base year. MSS is the key focus area of this study. The vertical segmentation includes government, BFSI, service provider, manufacturing, education, and other sectors (including pharmaceuticals, retail, logistics, oil and gas, energy, mining, agriculture, IT/ITES, eGaming, eCommerce, and BPOs).
Companies mentioned in the total MSS market's competitive landscape include: IBM, IIJ, KDDI, LAC, MBSD, NEC, NRI Secure, NTT, Symantec, Unisys, and other smaller MSSPs.
Key Issues Addressed:
- Is the market growing? If yes, how long will it continue to grow and at what rate
- Which are the key services adopted by customers in the market?
- How is the competitive landscape in Japan?
- Will MSSPs be replaced by new trends such as insourcing and cloud-based security services?
- How will the market evolve in the next 5 years?
Table of Contents
- Market Definitions
- Managed Security Service Types
- Market Overview-Definitions
- Market Overview-Definitions (continued)
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Market Segmentation
- Research Scope
- Geographic Coverage
Forecasts and Trends-MSS Market
- Key Findings
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Market Engineering Measurements (continued)
- Revenue Forecast
- Percent Revenue Forecast by Segment
- Revenue Forecast by Segment
- Revenue Forecast Discussion by Segment
Market Share and Competitive Analysis
- Competitive Analysis
- Competitive Environment
Growth Opportunities and Call to Action
- Growth Opportunity 1-Continued Trend Toward the Outsourcing of Cybersecurity Operations
- Growth Opportunity 2-Enterprises Shifting to the Cloud and MSSPs to Help Protect These Multi-cloud Environments
- Growth Opportunity 3-Hybrid MSS Capabilities to Become More Important
- Growth Opportunity 4-Larger, Mature Enterprises Looking for More Advanced Security Services
- 4 Major Growth Opportunities
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
Managed Security Services-Vendor Analysis
- Availability and Completeness of MSS Solutions
- Regional Geographic Coverage of Managed Security Service Offerings
- Country/Region Legends for Security Operations Centers
- IBM Security
- NRI Secure
The Last Word
- 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- Market Engineering Methodology
- List of Exhibits