Mobile operators are facing increasing competition from digital organisations that are exploiting the availability of large quantities of customer and usage data by using social media and digital technologies such as machine learning and AI to the full. Unless MNOs can compete successfully, they risk losing customers to them.
To prevent losses of customers to these digital competitors, MNOs need to do more than deploy established and proven marketing and customer experience strategies and techniques. Instead, to compete directly with digital players, MNOs will have to learn to employ the same techniques to become digital organisations themselves.
Using examples of existing digital services and potential enhancements, this report looks at best practice in the creation and deployment of digital services that appeal to MNO customers and will encourage them to stay with their MNOs. It also reviews the continuing importance of excellent customer experience and effective marketing.
Companies: Alphabet, Google, Microsft, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Tencent, Alibaba, Netflix, AT&T, Verizon, China Mobile, NTT, Deutsche Telekom, Softbank, Roku, HBO, YouTube, BBC, Now TV, Vodafone, Telefonica, Indosat OOredoo, Ola, Uber, Jugnoo, Grab, MaasGlobal, Whim, BankMobile, T-Mobile, ABM Amro, Tink, Spotify, iTunes, WhatsApp, DoCoMo, Turkcell, VEON. TIM, O2, Sandvine, Smartapps, Tigo, Finland,
Countries: global, UK, Germany, Italy, US, India, Indonesia,
Table of Contents
- 2.1 Background to the Report
- 2.2 Report Content
- 2.3 Currency and Conversions
- 2.4 Further Questions and Feedback
3 Why Digital Companies are Successful
- 3.1 Introduction - Where Competition Lies
- 3.2 The Factors that Ensure Success and Retention.
- 3.3 Innovation
- 3.4 Global Scale
- 3.5 Customer Experience
4 Minimising Losses to Digital Competitors
- 4.1 How MNOs can Learn from Digital Competitors
- 4.2 Innovation, Agility and Scale.
- 4.3 Convenience (Relative Advantage and Compatibility)
- 4.4 Customising and Personal Services
- 4.5 Customer Experience
- 4.6 Marketing and Promotions
- 4.7 Management Style and Corporate Culture
- 4.8 Customer Perceptions
5 Examples - MNOs and Others
- 5.1 Introduction
- 5.2 TV, Video & Audio Aggregation
- 5.3 Smart Speaker & Home: Deutsche Telekom Magenta
- 5.4 Transport Service Aggregation
- 5.5 Banking and financial services aggregation
- 6.1 Introduction
- 6.2 Becoming a Digital Player
- 6.3 Customer Retention
- 6.4 Service Aggregation
- 6.5 Overall Conclusion
Appendix - Feedback Questions