The growing need for supportive and performance-enhancing garments has led to the rapid induction of smart textiles in the military sector. Smart textiles aim to reduce the weight of battery packs, electronic gadgets, connecting cables, etc. For instance, if a soldier wearing a 'Smart Shirt' gets injured during a war, the information on the wound and the soldier's condition would be immediately transmitted to a medical triage unit near the battlefield. This helps the physician to determine the extent of a soldier's injury, based on the strength of his heartbeat and respiratory rate, thereby helping to decide the priority for treating patients.
Developments in the technology of sensors and actuators have enabled the production of miniaturized products, which can be integrated without significantly increasing the weight of military uniforms or other similar products. Nanotechnology is expected to play a major role in the development of the new generation of the army uniforms and equipment. Governments across the world are focusing on equipping their soldiers with the latest firearms, including sophisticated military clothing that enhances the soldiers' performance during combat operations.
In April 2016, the University of Massachusetts and Institute for Soldier Nanotechnology were granted USD 75 million by the US Department of Defense, for the development of smart textiles. Indian Army, the second largest in the world, requires 18.6 million modular bullet-proof jackets and is open for tenders for 10 years. The budget allocated for this procurement is about USD 150 million, with provisions for a vest modernization program. This offers a great opportunity for military textile vendors to explore and produce in-house capabilities and products for soldiers, thus driving the military smart textiles market.
Key Developments in the Market
July 2017: MSA Safety Incorporated completed the acquisition of Globe Manufacturing Company, a firefighter turnout gear manufacturer.
Major players: BAE SYSTEMS, INTELLIGENT TEXTILES LIMITED, TENCATE PROTECTIVE FABRICS, LOCKHEED MARTIN CORPORATION, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
The report analyses how the increasing military spending by various countries is anticipated to impact the smart textiles for military market.
Analyzing various perspectives of the market, with the help of Porter's five forces analysis.
The textile type which is expected to dominate the market.
The regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
Customization of the Report
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Scope of Study
- 1.2 Market Definition
- 1.3 Executive Summary
2. Research Methodology
- 2.1 Study Deliverables
- 2.2 Study Assumptions
- 2.3 Research Phases
3. Market Insights
- 3.1 Current Market Scenario
- 3.2 Technology Trends
- 3.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 3.3.1 Bargaining Power Of The Suppliers
- 3.3.2 Bargaining Power Of The Consumers
- 3.3.3 Threat Of New Entrants
- 3.3.4 Threat Of Substitute Products And Services
- 3.3.5 Competitive Rivalry Within The Industry
4. Market Dynamics
- 4.1 Drivers
- 4.1.1 Miniaturized Electronic components
- 4.2 Restraints
- 4.2.1 inadequate standards nd Regulaions
- 4.3 Opportunities
- 4.3.1 Development of Key Enabling Technologies
5. Smart Textiles for Military market, segmented by Application
- 5.1 Energy Harvest
- 5.2 Thermal
- 5.3 Protection and Mobility
- 5.4 Health Monitoring
6. Smart Textiles for Military market, segmented by Type
- 6.1 Active smart
- 6.2 Passive smart
- 6.3 Ultra smart
7. Smart textiles for military market, segmented by geography
- 7.1 North America
- 7.1.1 United States
- 7.1.2 Canada
- 7.1.3 Mexico
- 7.1.4 Others
- 7.2 Europe
- 7.2.1 United Kingdom
- 7.2.2 France
- 7.2.3 Germany
- 7.2.4 Italy
- 7.2.5 Switzerland
- 7.2.6 Rest of Europe
- 7.3 Asia-Pacific
- 7.3.1 India
- 7.3.2 China
- 7.3.3 Japan
- 7.3.4 South Korea
- 7.3.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 7.4 South America
- 7.4.1 Brazil
- 7.4.2 Argentina
- 7.4.3 Others
- 7.5 Middle-East & Africa
- 7.5.1 Saudi Arabia
- 7.5.2 United Arab Emirates
- 7.5.3 South Africa
- 7.5.4 Qatar
- 7.5.5 Rest of Middle-East & Africa
8. Competitive Landscape
- 8.1 Introduction
- 8.2 Market Structure & Analysis
9. Company Profiles
- 9.1 BAE Systems
- 9.2 Intelligent Textiles Limited
- 9.3 TenCate Protective Fabrics
- 9.4 W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
- 9.5 Milliken & Company
- 9.6 Schoeller Technologies Ag
- 9.7 DuPont
- 9.8 Ohmatex
- 9.9 Outlast technologies LLC
- 9.10 Texas Instruments Incorporated
- 9.11 Lockheed Martin Corporation
- 9.12 Mide Technology Corp.
10. Future Outlook of the Market