The global surgical stapler market is valued at 3648.8 million in 2020 and is expected to register a CAGR of 7.1 % over the forecast period.
The sudden outbreak of COVID-19 has posed a severe impact on the surgical staple industry due to the lockdown measures across the world that have resulted in decreased public mobility and sudden halt on surgical procedures, that are non-immediate and are being postponed to decrease the burden on healthcare infrastructure. According to the study published in the British Journal of Surgery, in May 2020, based on a 12-week period of peak disruption to hospital services due to COVID-19, around 28.4 million elective surgeries worldwide will be canceled or postponed in 2020. However, going forward, after the relaxation of lockdown restrictions, the market is expected to experience a spur.
Furthermore, the major factor attributing to the growth of the surgical stapler is increasing preference for minimally invasive procedures. Minimally invasive surgeries (MIS) are reported to cause less post-operative pain, and hence, patients receive smaller dosages of pain killers. As there are minimal cuts or stitches involved, the hospital stay is relatively shorter, and patients need not visit the hospital frequently.
According to a 2020 cohort study published on JAMA Network, with 169,404 patients in 73 hospitals, the use of robotic surgery for all general surgery procedures increased from 1.8% to 15.1% from 2012 to 2018. Hospitals that launched robotic surgery programs had a broad and immediate increase in the use of robotic surgery, which was associated with a decrease in traditional laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery.
The technological advancements in the field of a surgical stapler is another major factor driving the growth of the market studied. In the last few years, there have been revolutionary advances in the development of skin staplers, In 2018, Intuitive Surgical Inc. has recieved United States Food and Drug Administration granted clearance for the company's fully wristed, 60mm stapler.
However, owing to the increased risk of infections and stringent regulations, the adoption of surgical staplers may be less among the population, and therefore, it is one of the factors expected to impede the overall growth of the market studied.
Key Market Trends
Disposable Surgical Stapler Segment Holds a Major Share in the Market
Orthopedic surgery is a specialty that deals with acute injuries, congenital, and acquired disorders and chronic arthritic or overuse conditions of the bones, joints, and their associated soft tissues, including ligaments, nerves, and muscles.
The burden of OA (osteoarthritis) is expected to increase across the world in the coming decades. According to the State of Musculoskeletal Health 2019 report, around 8.75 million people aged between 45 years and over (33%) in the United Kingdom sought treatment for osteoarthritis.
As per the report titled "The increase in total knee replacement surgery in Taiwan: A 15-year retrospective study", published in 2018, a total of 154,553 patients underwent primary TKR (total knee replacement) surgeries during the study period. The overall crude incidence rate increased from 26.4 to 74.55 TKR per 100,000 inhabitants. The TKR incidence rate for the age group of 70-79 years increased from 227 to 505 per 100,000 people.
Furthermore, market players are focusing on continuous developments and launch of novel products to gain the competitive edge in the market. For instance, in March 2019, MedShape Inc. launched the DynaClip Bone Fixation system. DynaClip represents the next generation in bone stapling by providing both dynamic compression and reliable durability to withstand the demanding loading conditions in the foot and ankle.
However, there will be a short-term negative impact on the segment growth, as there will be a temporary halt on the surgical procedures globally due to the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the research conducted by the CovidSurg Collaborative, a research network, orthopedic procedures will be canceled the most frequently, with 6.3 million orthopedic surgeries canceled, worldwide, over a 12-week period
North America Dominates the Market and is Expected to do the Same in the Forecast Period
North America is expected to dominate the overall market throughout the forecast period. This is due to the large obese population and an increasing number of various surgical procedures. Various applications of surgical staplers include the areas of gynecology, abdominal surgeries, cardiothoracic and orthopedic surgeries, etc.
According to the International Association of Drilling Contractors (IADC) 2018 Summary of Occupational Incidents (published in June 2019), in the United States, 29.47% of total industry lost-time incidents, by body part, involved fingers (20.26%) and hands/wrists. Thus, the statistics indicate that there is a growing demand for surgical staplers in the country.
Additionally, inorganic growth strategies, such as partnerships and collaborations, adopted by the market players are also significant driving factors that are propelling the segment growth in the market, in the region. In July 2018, Ontario-based Panther Medical Canada Inc. has obtained a Health Canada License for the Panther line of open and endoscopic surgical staplers.
However, due to the recent COVID outbreak, there might be a temporary negative impact on the market in the region, considering the lockdown and the sudden halt in the number of persons seeking surgery. Many US hospitals are canceling or scaling back on non-essential elective surgeries to make space for patients affected by COVID-19, to ensure that there are enough intensive care beds available. Some states, like Ohio, are even moving to ban elective procedures altogether in the coming weeks. However, post lockdown it is expected that there will be a surge in adoption of surgical procedures there by driving the usage of surgical staplers,
The surgical stapler market is fueled by the superior quality of surgical staplers, technological advancements, product approvals, and their application across various fields. For instance, in September 2019, Ethicon has launched the industry's first powered circular stapler for colorectal, gastric, and thoracic surgery. The ECHELON CIRCULAR Powered Stapler reduces leaks by 61% at the staple line compared to Medtronic's DST Series EEA Stapler. The surgical stapler market is moderately competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. The major players operating in the market studied include Medtronic PLC, Ethicon (J&J), B. Braun Melsungen AG, ConMed Corporation, and 3M Company, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Increasing Preference for Minimally Invasive Procedures
- 4.2.2 Technological Advances, like Introduction of Absorbable Stapler
- 4.2.3 Increasing Usage of Surgical Staplers in Bariatric Surgery
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 Increased Risk of Infections and Other Adverse Events
- 4.3.2 Stringent Safety Regulations
- 4.4 Porter,s Five Forces Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Product
- 5.1.1 Linear Surgical Stapler
- 5.1.2 Circular Surgical Stapler
- 5.1.3 Cutter Stapler
- 5.1.4 Skin Stapler
- 5.1.5 Stapler Reload
- 5.2 By Application
- 5.2.1 Abdominal Surgery
- 5.2.2 Obstetrics and Gynecological Surgeries
- 5.2.3 Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeries
- 5.2.4 Orthopedic Surgery
- 5.2.5 Other Surgical Applications
- 5.3 By Mechanism
- 5.3.1 Manual Surgical Stapler
- 5.3.2 Powered Surgical Stapler
- 5.4 By Usability
- 5.4.1 Disposable Surgical Stapler
- 5.4.2 Reusable Surgical Stapler
- 5.5 Geography
- 5.5.1 North America
- 188.8.131.52 United States (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 184.108.40.206 Canada (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 220.127.116.11 Mexico (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 5.5.2 Europe
- 18.104.22.168 Germany (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 22.214.171.124 United Kingdom (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 126.96.36.199 France (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 188.8.131.52 Italy (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 184.108.40.206 Spain (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 5.5.3 Asia-Pacific
- 18.104.22.168 China (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 22.214.171.124 Japan (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 126.96.36.199 India (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 188.8.131.52 Australia (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 184.108.40.206 South Korea (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 5.5.4 Middle East and Africa
- 18.104.22.168 GCC (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 22.214.171.124 South Africa (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East and Africa (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 5.5.5 South America
- 188.8.131.52 Brazil (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 184.108.40.206 Argentina (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of South America (By Product, By Application, By Mechanism, and By Usability)
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 CONMED Corporation
- 6.1.2 B. Braun Melsungen AG
- 6.1.3 Johnson & Johnson (Ethicon)
- 6.1.4 Frankenman International Limited
- 6.1.5 Intuitive Surgical Inc.
- 6.1.6 Medtronic PLC
- 6.1.7 Meril Life Science Pvt. Ltd
- 6.1.8 Purple Surgical Inc.
- 6.1.9 Smith & Nephew
- 6.1.10 3M Company
- 6.1.11 Grena Ltd
- 6.1.12 MedShape Inc.
- 6.1.13 Lotus Surgicals Pvt Ltd
- 6.1.14 Panther Medical
- 6.1.15 Golden Stapler Surgical Co., Ltd.
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS