The biomarker market was valued at approximately USD 46 billion in 2020 and is expected to witness a revenue of USD 100 billion in 2026, with a CAGR of 13.64% over the forecast period.
The COVID-19 has led to a lot of disruption in almost every sector, which is why the healthcare sector has also faced a similar unprecedented impact in its domain as well. But this is not in the case of the biomarker market, as biomarkers are playing a crucial role in the development of therapies for chronic cases, where government and pharma industries will spend a lot in that, hence covid 19 didn't hinder its market growth.
Moreover, the high prevalence of cancer & cardiac problems increased application, and advancements of biomarkers are the major factors attributed to the market drivers of biomarkers. The spike in cancer cases globally has not only increased the uses but also there is a lot of advancement in technology has also occurred. According to WCRF (World Cancer Research Fund International), there were 18 million cases around the world, with this global burden of cancer the prevention and cure is the utmost concern for the governments and also the pharmaceutical companies.
According to WHO cardiovascular diseases (CVD) are taking 17.9 millions lives every year, which is equivalent to 31% of all deaths worldwide. Along with cancer, CVDs are also at a point where it needs to be addressed immediately. So, looking at these statistics it is quite evident that the market for biomarkers' future is very much positive and we can even say that it will grow in forecasted timeline.
Key Market Trends
Cancer Biomarkers is Expected to Dominate the Market
Cancer dominates the diseased segment of the biomarker market as there is a rise in high demand for the detection of cancer cells in the body. The reason attributed to this is the prevalence of cancer globally. Every year there is a sharp increase in cancer cases. For instance, in 2020 there are 1,806,590 new cases across the globe. Due to this government and the pharmaceutical companies are spending a lot on the advancement in the therapy, which eventually increases the biomarker market globally. There are many types of cancer amongst them breast cancer, lung cancer & prostate cancer are more prevalent. According to the US National Library of Medicine, there are 1,515 cancer biomarkers that are on clinical trials. The introduction of new cancer biomarkers will increase the market size of biomarkers in the forecast period. Breast cancer and lung cancer is dominating the cancer biomarker market, and it is forecasted that these cases will increase in coming years and hence the biomarker revenue will also rise up in the forecast period.
North America Dominates the Market in the Forecast Period
North America currently dominates the market for renal biomarkers and is expected to continue its stronghold for a few more years. In the North American region, the United States holds the largest market share. Over the past decade, there has been a significant increase in the number of USFDA-approved drug labels containing information on molecular biomarkers.
Moreover, almost every pharmaceutical company has been developing molecular biomarker programs, either through partnerships or through other ventures. Molecular biomarkers are expected to be identified and validated in drug development and be used to support the approval of drug products. Such drug approvals are helping the renal biomarkers market grow in the United States. According to an American cancer society report, 609,640 deaths have been occurred due to cancer in this country. There were 234,030 lung cancer cases in America in 2018 and 154,050 deaths have been occurred due to lung cancer ( American's Cancer Society data, 2018).
The Canadian biomarker market comes just after America in North America. The elder population in Canada anticipates the Canadian market. A large number of people are diagnosed with cancer every year. Lung cancer and prostate cancer are more prevalent here, which is the reason why government is spending more in healthcare domain. Due to these reasons, there will be a positive growth in biomarker market in North America.
The biomarker market is moderately competitive and the majority of the market share is possessed by Abbott Laboratories Inc, Johnson & Johnson, Roche Diagnostics, Bio-Rad Laboratories, Epigenomics AG, Qiagen. The growth of this market majorly depends on the advancement in technology and investment in R&D. Today majority of the pharmaceutical companies are investing in R&D and governments are also spending a huge sum of money on the advancement of technology.
In May 2019- QIAGEN had received FDA approval for therascreen RGQ PCR Kit. The therascreenPIK3CA Kit is uesd to indentify the breast cancer patients who are eligible for treatement. the first companion diagnostic assay approved to identify breast cancer patients eligible for treatment.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Rising Prevalence of Life Threatening Diseases
- 4.2.2 Increasing Demand for Early Diagnosis of Diseases
- 4.2.3 Research Advancements in finding new Biomarkers
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 Issues Related to Regulatory and Reimbursment Systems
- 4.3.2 High Cost of Biomarkers
- 4.4 Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Disease
- 5.1.1 Cancer
- 5.1.2 Cardiovascular Disorders
- 5.1.3 Neurological Disorders
- 5.1.4 Immunological Disorders
- 5.1.5 Renal Disorders
- 5.1.6 Others
- 5.2 By Type
- 5.2.1 Prognostic Biomarkers
- 5.2.2 Pharmacodynamic Biomarkers
- 5.2.3 Surrogate End Point Markers
- 5.2.4 Predictive Biomarkers
- 5.3 By Mechanism
- 5.3.1 Genetic biomarkers
- 5.3.2 Epigenetic biomarkers
- 5.3.3 Proteomic biomarkers
- 5.3.4 Lipidomic biomarkers
- 5.3.5 Others
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 220.127.116.11 United States (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 18.104.22.168 Canada (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 22.214.171.124 Mexico (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 126.96.36.199 Germany (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 188.8.131.52 United Kingdom (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 184.108.40.206 France (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 220.127.116.11 Italy (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 18.104.22.168 Spain (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 5.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199 China (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 188.8.131.52 Japan (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 184.108.40.206 India (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 220.127.116.11 Australia (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 18.104.22.168 South Korea (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 5.4.4 Middle East and Africa
- 126.96.36.199 GCC (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 188.8.131.52 South Africa (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East and Africa (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 5.4.5 South America
- 220.127.116.11 Brazil (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 18.104.22.168 Argentina (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of South America (By Disease, By Type, and By Mechanism)
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Abbott Laboratories, Inc.
- 6.1.2 Aushon Biosystem
- 6.1.3 Bio-Rad Laboratories
- 6.1.4 Epigenomics AG
- 6.1.5 Epistem Ltd
- 6.1.6 Johnson & Johnson
- 6.1.7 Qiagen N.V
- 6.1.8 Roche Diagnostics
- 6.1.9 Siemens Healthcare GmbH
- 6.1.10 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- 6.1.11 Astute Medical
- 6.1.12 Zeus Scientific
- 6.1.13 Myriad Genetics
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS