The nucleic acid amplification testing (NAAT) market is expected to register a CAGR of nearly 8% during the forecast period with a revenue of approximately USD 2,985 million in 2020 and is projected to reach USD 4,745 million by the year 2026.
The current recommended condition for the detection of a potent or current SARS-CoV-2 infection is a nucleic acid amplification (NAAT) test that detects targeted one or more specific RNA specific strains of the virus. Patients with symptoms, people with known or suspected COVID-19 exposure, and people from high-risk areas can be tested in this way. The Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses guidelines also suggest that patients who first diagnosed negative, but where there is high clinical suspicion of COVID-19, should receive additional NAAT, which is estimated to increase sensitivity to testing by 17%, hence the demand for these tets increased during the pandemic.
The major factors for the growth of the nucleic acid amplification testing (NAAT) market include the rising prevalence of infectious diseases, increasing demand for advanced diagnostic measures, and rising investment for the development of new biotechnological diagnostic techniques.
NAAT detects certain nucleic acids, viruses, or bacteria that act as pathogens in the blood, tissues, urine, etc. In addition, this method is also used to screen blood donations to reduce the risk of blood transfusion infection in recipients. Also, there is a growing increase in various infectious diseases that are expected to increase market growth in the forecast period.
NAAT detects particular nucleic acid, virus, or bacteria which acts as a pathogen in blood, tissue, urine, etc. Furthermore, this technique is also used for screening blood donations to reduce the risk of transfusion-transmitted infections in the recipients. Also, there is a rising prevalence of various infectious diseases which is expected to boost the growth of the market over the forecast period.
As per the Avert, in 2020, the several Asian countries were facing rapid rise of the HIV epidemic. For example, the Philippines was experiencing the maximum rise, with many new infections. In addition, the estimated HIV prevalence rates in cities, such as Bangkok in Thailand, Yangon in Myanmar, and Yogyakarta in Indonesia, were between 20% and 29%. These factors draws the attention of NAAT detection tests into consideration.
As per the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), in December 2020, globally, 1 in 5 people develop cancer during their lifetime, and 1 in 8 men and 1 in 11 women die from the disease. The IARC estimated that in 2020, the prevalence of cancer rose to 19.3 million cases and 10 million cancer deaths in year 2020, which was around 18 million cancer cases around the world in 2018. With this growing burden, the NAAT procedures increase in demand due to their sensitivity.
Key Market Trends
Infectious Disease Segment by Application is Expected to Hold the Largest Market Share Over the Forecast Period
According to recent studies, on average 10% of patients with coronavirus infections might be missed with PCR tests that are diagnosed by NAAT. The accuracy of tests for coronavirus diagnosis is important in patient management and epidemic control. that is why these tests have grown during the epidemic as well as part of the infectious disease. Hence these tests have grown during the pandemic period and so did the infectious disease segment.
The major factor driving the growth of the segment is the rising prevalence of various infectious diseases across the globe. For instance, as per the WHO's in 2019, an estimated 10 million people were affected with tuberculosis (TB) globally. 5.6 million men, 3.2 million women, and 1.2 million children.
According to the hepatitis foundation, 2021, 2 billion people have been infected with the hepatitis B virus and 30 million people become newly infected each year and an estimated 884,000 people die each year from hepatitis B and related complications such as liver cancer, with this severity of the diseases there is the need and demand for diagnostic tests that are more reliable and sensitive and thus the demand for NAAt is growing.
NAAT is generally clear and very sensitive and can be used for all stages of infection. Recent advances have led to many trials. In a multiplex test, a single nucleic acid-based test can detect and differentiate between more than two microorganisms. Thus, owing to the all above-mentioned factors the market is expected to witness high growth over the forecast period.
North America is Expected to Hold a Large Market Share Over the Forecast Period
The United States is expected to be the largest nucleic acid amplification testing market owing to the presence of better healthcare infrastructure and the rising prevalence of infectious diseases.
In Canada, Canadian Blood Services has implemented NAAT and provides a safe blood supply by detecting low levels of viral genes. These programs increase the use of these tests. Furthermore, NAAT is becoming the standard of practice in the blood and plasma industry in the United States and around the world.
According to the estimates of the American Cancer Society, in 2020, an estimated 1,806,590 new cases of cancer were diagnosed in the United States, and 606,520 people died from the disease. Moreover, 1,735,350 new cancer cases diagnosed and 609,640 deaths in 2018. The growing cancer burden is increasing the need for diagnostic tests like NAAT.
According to Hepatitis Foundation, 2021, up to 2.2 million people are chronically infected with HepB, but only 25% of infected individuals are diagnosed. therefore there is an increasing need for a better diagnostic test in the regions and hence teh major players and government is focusing on NAAT .
Thus, considering all the above-mentioned factors the market is expected to witness high growth.
The market studied is a consolidated market owing to the presence of few major market players. Some of the market players are Abbott Laboratories, Becton, Dickinson and Company, bioMerieux SA, Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc., Grifols SA, Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Hologic, Inc., and Illumina, Inc.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Rising Prevalence of Infectious Diseases
- 4.2.2 Increasing Demand for Advanced Diagnostic Measures
- 4.2.3 Rising Investment for the Development of New Biotechnological Diagnostic Techniques
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 Lack of Skilled Professionals
- 4.3.2 High Cost
- 4.4 Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Technique
- 5.1.1 Target Amplification
- 5.1.2 Probe Amplification
- 5.1.3 Signal Amplification
- 5.2 By Application
- 5.2.1 Infectious Disease
- 5.2.2 Cancer
- 5.2.3 Others
- 5.3 Geography
- 5.3.1 North America
- 126.96.36.199 United States (By Technique and By Application)
- 188.8.131.52 Canada (By Technique and By Application)
- 184.108.40.206 Mexico (By Technique and By Application)
- 5.3.2 Europe
- 220.127.116.11 Germany (By Technique and By Application)
- 18.104.22.168 United Kingdom (By Technique and By Application)
- 22.214.171.124 France (By Technique and By Application)
- 126.96.36.199 Italy (By Technique and By Application)
- 188.8.131.52 Spain (By Technique and By Application)
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe (By Technique and By Application)
- 5.3.3 Asia-Pacific
- 220.127.116.11 China (By Technique and By Application)
- 18.104.22.168 Japan (By Technique and By Application)
- 22.214.171.124 India (By Technique and By Application)
- 126.96.36.199 Australia (By Technique and By Application)
- 188.8.131.52 South Korea (By Technique and By Application)
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific (By Technique and By Application)
- 5.3.4 Middle East and Africa
- 220.127.116.11 GCC (By Technique and By Application)
- 18.104.22.168 South Africa (By Technique and By Application)
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East and Africa (By Technique and By Application)
- 5.3.5 South America
- 126.96.36.199 Brazil (By Technique and By Application)
- 188.8.131.52 Argentina (By Technique and By Application)
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of South America (By Technique and By Application)
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Abbott Laboratories
- 6.1.2 Becton, Dickinson and Company
- 6.1.3 bioMerieux SA
- 6.1.4 Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- 6.1.5 Grifols SA
- 6.1.6 Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- 6.1.7 Hologic, Inc.
- 6.1.8 Illumina, Inc.
- 6.1.9 Siemens Healthcare GmbH
- 6.1.10 Beckman Coulter, Inc. (Danaher Corporation)
- 6.1.11 Cepheid
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS