The Global Breast Pumps Market was valued at USD 924.39 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 1,513.51 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 8.61% during the forecast period.
As per 2020 research study by Lars Bode on breast milk from COVID-19 infected women indicated that transmission from the mother to the infant via human milk is unlikely. Moreover, study confirmed that breast milk is safe and still the best way to give babies the nutrients and immune boost they need to thrive. This indicates there was no negative impact on the market as mothers continued to provide milk to babies even in pandemic time. Adding to that, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provided information on how to properly clean and sanitize breast pumps during COVID-19 pandemic.
The major factors driving the market growth include increasing global women employment rates, improving healthcare infrastructure in emerging economies and government initiatives in support of employed mothers.
According to the international labor organization (ILO), there has been visual progress in terms of employment opportunities and gender equality in the past 20 years. ILO initiated 2030 UN agenda, which announces that both the genders of youth and disabled population likely to have equal pay without discriminations, to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls, for achieving productive employment, gender equality, and economic development.
In addition, according to World Employment, women's labor force participation rate at the global level was around 48.5% in 2018, which was 26.5% less compared to that of the employment rate of men. The global unemployment rate for women is 0.8% higher than men.
As per the World Health Organization (WHO), the perfect food for babies is mother's milk. Many working mothers are opting for breast pumps to pump milk and feed their babies, when they are away for work. Breast pumps ease the pumping of the milk and save a lot of time. Hence, owing to above mentioned factors it is expected to drive the market over the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Closed System Breast Pumps is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share Over the Forecast Period
It has been observed that the open breast pump is comparatively less hygienic than the closed breast pumps and high usage rates as these systems are relatively more hygienic and contamination-free.
The COVID-19 virus can persist on surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 3 days but transmission of the virus can be prevented with cleaning and use of disinfectant. Moreover, closed breast pumps are more hygienic than open breast pumps. This indicates closed breast pumps are expected to rise demand in current COVID-19 and drives market growth.
Closed system breast pumps provide a barrier between a collection kit and motor which prevents contamination of the collected milk. The barrier also ensures that milk particles do not enter the pump tubing or motor, thereby preventing contamination and maintaining sterility.
According to a research article by Mi Kyung Lee et al., published in International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health January 2020, estimated that approximately 800,000 lives could be saved by improving breastfeeding rates and duration. In Asia, an estimated 300,000-350,000 child deaths could be prevented with optimal breastfeeding and the majority would be under 12 months of age.
According to Food and Drugs Administration (FDA), closed breast pump provides more hygienic milk collection mechanism as it is not exposed to air at all while the open system does not have a barrier between the milk collection kit and the pumping unit, presenting a possible risk of milk contamination from impurities such as bacteria, smoke, and dust in the air and sometimes mold. According to the Centre for Economic and Political Research, in Europe, battery-powered breast segments are dominating the market because of their portability.
Closed system breast pumps provide better safety for the child's health, ensure maximum removal of impurities, and are easy to clean. The introduction of portable instruments such as Ameda HygieniKit by Ameda is expected to drive the market growth over the forecast period. Therefore, it is expected to increase demand for closed breast pumps over the forecast period.
North America is Expected to Hold Major Market Share Over the Forecast Period
The major factors driving the market growth include high market penetration of breast pumps in United States on account of high women employment rates, high healthcare expenditure and well established healthcare infrastructure.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and medical experts, Breast milk has important immune-boosting benefits for both fighting short-term infections and improving long-lasting health. In addition, research studies suggested that breastfeeding mothers who've had COVID-19 have antibodies in their breast milk that may help pass immunity to their babes. This indicates even during COVID-19 there was no interruption in giving milk by mothers to babies which shows positive impact on the market.
Furthermore, under Affordable Care Act, a working mother is entitled to take breaks during work hours in order to express breast milk for her baby. In addition, the presence of laws such as allowing public breastfeeding for protecting women and promoting infant health is anticipated to increase awareness about the benefits of breastfeeding and subsequently drive market growth.
As per WHO, breastfeeding is highly beneficial to infants and mothers. The government of the United States initiated many awareness policies, like Healthy People 2010, for encouraging breastfeeding. The US Department of Labor has stated that about 70% of the mothers with children are full-time employees as of 2017.
Many working mothers are preferring to express their milk with the breast pump and store it for the baby, while they are at work. Electric and automated breast pumps have made the process of pumping really simple and less time-consuming. They are available at affordable prices for most of the working women in the United States. Hence, with the increasing awareness about the benefits of breast milk, the market is expected to grow in the United States.
The Breast Pumps market is moderately fragmented and competitive and consists of both local and international players. With the rising adoption of the breast pumps, global players such as Philips are also coming up with these products and it is expected that in the future, a number of well known and bigger companies will penetrate the market. Some of the key market players include Ameda AG, Bailey Medical, Babybelle, Koninklijke Philips NV, Medela AG, Ardo Medical, Inc, Beldico, Linco Baby Merchandise Work's Co. Ltd, Freemie, Willow and Pigeon Corporation.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Increasing Global Women Employment Rates
- 4.2.2 Improving Healthcare Infrastructure in Emerging Economies
- 4.2.3 Government Initiatives in Support of Employed Mothers
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 High Prices of Breast Pumps
- 4.4 Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Product
- 5.1.1 Open System Breast Pump
- 5.1.2 Closed System Breast Pump
- 5.2 By Technology
- 5.2.1 Manual Breast Pump
- 5.2.2 Battery Powered Breast Pump
- 5.2.3 Electric Breast Pump
- 5.3 By Application
- 5.3.1 Personal Use
- 5.3.2 Hospital Grade
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 220.127.116.11 United States (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 18.104.22.168 Canada (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 22.214.171.124 Mexico (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 126.96.36.199 Germany (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 188.8.131.52 United Kingdom (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 184.108.40.206 France (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 220.127.116.11 Italy (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 18.104.22.168 Spain (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 5.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199 China (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 188.8.131.52 Japan (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 184.108.40.206 India (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 220.127.116.11 Australia (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 18.104.22.168 South Korea (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 5.4.4 Middle East and Africa
- 126.96.36.199 GCC (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 188.8.131.52 South Africa (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East and Africa (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 5.4.5 South America
- 220.127.116.11 Brazil (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 18.104.22.168 Argentina (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of South America (By Product, By Technology, and By Application)
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Ameda AG
- 6.1.2 Ardo Medical, Inc
- 6.1.3 Babybelle
- 6.1.4 Bailey Medical
- 6.1.5 Beldico
- 6.1.6 Linco Baby Merchandise Work's Co. Ltd
- 6.1.7 Freemie
- 6.1.8 Medela AG
- 6.1.9 Koninklijke Philips NV
- 6.1.10 Willow
- 6.1.11 Pigeon Corporation (Lansinoh Laboratories, Inc)
- 6.1.12 Hygeia Medical Group
- 6.1.13 Mayborn Group
- 6.1.14 Acewin Co, Ltd
- 6.1.15 Albert Hohlkorper Gmbh & Co Kg
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS