Gift Card Market size was valued at USD 884.76 million in 2021 and is predicted to reach USD 2097.13 billion by 2030 with a CAGR of 8.3 % during the forecast period from 2022 to 2030.
The demand for gift cards is rising due to the increase in smartphone penetration and internet facilities around the world that provides customers with flexible and convenient payment options. According to the study of the World Population Review data in 2022, around 69% of the world's population which accounts for 4.9 billion people have active access to the internet.
Also, the high adoption of e-gift cards as a promotional tool and a source of quick revenue flow for businesses like restaurants, hospitality and aviation among others fuels the demand for digital gift cards. Additionally, the market is being strongly driven by the e-commerce sector's rapid development because it offers the convenience of making purchases through websites that offer gift cards and vouchers.
However, the prevalence of security issues related to digital gift cards coupled with a lack of awareness of the benefits of gift cards among consumers are factors that are expected to restrain the growth of the market during the forecast period. On the other hand, advancement in technologies of gift cards allows flexible sending options and promotional campaigns for businesses. By enhancing the uniqueness and appeal of product offerings, it also helps businesses boost sales, which is anticipated to generate profitable expansion opportunities for the players in the gift card market in the coming years.
Type (Open Loop and Closed Loop), and by End-User (Retail Establishments and Corporate Institutions)
The global AI market is segmented on the basis of type, end-user, and geography.
- Based on Type, the market is classified into open loop and closed loop.
- Based on End-User, the market is bifurcated into retail establishments and corporate institutions.
- Region-wise, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and RoW.
The European region is projected to hold the dominant share by 2030.
North America holds the largest market share of gift cards due to the increased e-commerce activity owing to the surging millennial and Gen Z population that is inclined towards the adoption of gift cards. According to the reports published by the US Census Bureau in 2021, millennials made up the largest population group in the US with 72.2 million millennials constituting about 21.7% of the population.
Also, the increased penetration of smartphones among consumers, which allows managing digital gift cards via mobile applications easily is accelerating the market demand. According to a study by the U.S. Census Bureau, as of 2021, the United States had one of the highest smartphone penetration rates in the world with 82.2 per cent of the population using a smartphone.
Moreover, major retailers and restaurant chains such as Walmart, Amazon, Target, Starbucks and Chipotle also offer customers both digital and physical gift cards that drive the market in this region. The market in this region is also driven by major retailers and restaurant chains like Walmart, Amazon, Target, Starbucks, and Chipotle, which provide customers with both physical and digital gift cards. The above-mentioned factors are expected to significantly boost the growth of the gift card market in this region.
Key Market Players
The emerging and efficient key players in the gift card market research include companies such as:
- Amazon.com, Inc
- Apple Inc
- American Express Company
- Blackhawk Network Holdings Inc
- Best Buy Co., Inc.
- Walmart Inc.
- Starbucks Corporation
- InComm Payments
- Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc.
- QwikCilver Solutions Private Limited
American Express Company relaunched the Platinum Card as a Credit Product for new members with membership rewards in travel vouchers. The membership rewards points can be used towards purchases, with travel partners including British Airways, Emirates, Singapore Airlines, Radisson and Marriott.
Walmart developed a new technology to identify and freeze the million worth of gift cards that had been bought by thousands of primarily elderly victims at the direction of con artists who hoaxed them. After the seizure of the gift cards, the victims can claim their money.
Starbucks launched its new paper gift card, the first ever plantable gift card in the U.S. These cards allow the recipient to plant the cards instead of discarding them or losing them. These gift cards use seed paper to reach their final flower form.
Blackhawk Network announced a strategic partnership with Tender Retail to expand the delivery of gift cards payment, integrate with enterprise merchants along with enhancing payment options and meet the diverse demands of consumers.
Amazon.com Inc collaborated with the Apple store where Apple Store gift cards can be purchased via Amazon.com which would allow the Apple device users to buy apps, subscriptions for music, and audiobooks.
Apple launched the Holiday Gift Guide and personalized holiday cards at Apple. This guide features preferable recommendations for customized creatives and photographers for those passionate about health, fitness, and entertainment.
Best Buy announced the launch of gift cards entirely produced from paper that could be recycled or put straight in the recycle bin, thus providing consumers with eco-friendly products while also protecting the environment.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1. REPORT DESCRIPTION
- 1.2. WHO SHOULD READ THIS REPORT
- 1.3. KEY MARKET SEGMENTS
- 1.4. KEY MARKET PLAYERS
- 1.5. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- 1.5.1 SECONDARY RESEARCH
- 1.5.2 DATA ANALYSIS FRAMEWORK
- 1.5.3 MARKET SIZE ESTIMATION
- 1.5.4 FORECASTING
- 1.5.5 PRIMARY RESEARCH AND DATA VALIDATION
2. GIFT CARDS MARKET - EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 2.1. MARKET SNAPSHOT, 2021 - 2030, BILLION USD
3. MARKET OVERVIEW
- 3.1. MARKET DEFINITION AND SCOPE
- 3.2. MARKET DYNAMICS
- 3.2.1 DRIVERS
- 126.96.36.199. High adoption rate of smartphones accelerates demand for gift cards
- 188.8.131.52. expansion in e-commerce and advancement in technology fuels market growth
- 184.108.40.206. High adoption of e-gift cards as a promotional tool supports businesses
- 3.2.2 RESTRAINTS
- 220.127.116.11. Lack of awareness and security issues associated with gift cards impedes growth
- 3.2.3 OPPORTUNITIES
- 18.104.22.168. Technological advancements and innovations offers future business prospects
4. GLOBAL GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY CARD TYPE
- 4.1. OVERVIEW
- 4.2. OPEN LOOP GIFT CARD
- 4.2.1 OPEN LOOP GIFT CARD MARKET, BY REGION
- 4.3. CLOSED LOOP GIFT CARD
- 4.3.1 CLOSED LOOP GIFT CARD MARKET, BY REGION
5. GLOBAL GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY ENDUSER
- 5.1. OVERVIEW
- 5.2. RETAIL ESTABLISHMENTS
- 5.2.1 RETAIL ESTABLISHMENTS MARKET, BY REGION
- 5.3. CORPORATE INSTITUTIONS
- 5.3.1 CORPORATE INSTITUTIONS MARKET, BY REGION
6. GLOBAL GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY REGION
- 6.1. OVERVIEW
- 6.2. NORTH AMERICA
- 6.2.1 NORTH AMERICA GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY CARD TYPE
- 6.2.2 NORTH AMERICA GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY ENDUSER
- 6.2.3 NORTH AMERICA GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY COUNTRY
- 22.214.171.124. U.S.
- 126.96.36.199.1. U.S. Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 188.8.131.52.2. U.S. Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 184.108.40.206. Canada
- 220.127.116.11.1. Canada Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 18.104.22.168.2. Canada Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 22.214.171.124. Mexico
- 126.96.36.199.1. Mexico Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 188.8.131.52.2. Mexico Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 6.3. EUROPE
- 6.3.1 EUROPE GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY CARD TYPE
- 6.3.2 EUROPE GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY ENDUSER
- 6.3.3 EUROPE GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY COUNTRY
- 184.108.40.206. UK
- 220.127.116.11.1. UK Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 18.104.22.168.2. UK Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 22.214.171.124. Germany
- 126.96.36.199.1. Germany Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 188.8.131.52.2. Germany Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 184.108.40.206. France
- 220.127.116.11.1. France Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 18.104.22.168.2. France Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 22.214.171.124. Rest of Europe
- 126.96.36.199.1. Rest of Europe Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 188.8.131.52.2. Rest of Europe Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 6.4. ASIA-PACIFIC
- 6.4.1 ASIA-PACIFIC GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY CARD TYPE
- 6.4.2 ASIA-PACIFIC GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY ENDUSER
- 6.4.3 ASIA-PACIFIC GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY COUNTRY
- 184.108.40.206. China
- 220.127.116.11.1. China Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 18.104.22.168.2. China Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 22.214.171.124. India
- 126.96.36.199.1. India Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 188.8.131.52.2. India Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 184.108.40.206. Japan
- 220.127.116.11.1. Japan Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 18.104.22.168.2. Japan Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 22.214.171.124. Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199.1. Rest of Asia-Pacific Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 188.8.131.52.2. Rest of Asia-Pacific Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 6.5. REST OF WORLD
- 6.5.1 REST OF WORLD GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY CARD TYPE
- 6.5.2 REST OF WORLD GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY ENDUSER
- 6.5.3 REST OF WORLD GIFT CARDS MARKET, BY COUNTRY
- 184.108.40.206. Latin America
- 220.127.116.11.1. Latin America Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 18.104.22.168.2. Latin America Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 22.214.171.124. Middle East
- 126.96.36.199.1. Middle East Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 188.8.131.52.2. Middle East Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
- 184.108.40.206. Africa
- 220.127.116.11.1. Africa Gift Cards Market, By Card Type
- 18.104.22.168.2. Africa Gift Cards Market, By Enduser
7. COMPANY PROFILES
- 7.1. AMAZON.COM INC
- 7.1.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.1.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.1.3 OPERATING BUSINESS SEGMENTS
- 7.1.4 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.1.5 BUSINESS PERFORMANCE
- 7.1.6 SALES BY BUSINESS SEGMENT
- 7.1.7 SALES BY GEOGRAPHIC SEGMENT
- 7.1.8 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.1.9 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS
- 7.2. APPLE INC.
- 7.2.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.2.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.2.3 OPERATING BUSINESS SEGMENTS
- 7.2.4 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.2.5 BUSINESS PERFORMANCE
- 7.2.6 SALES BY BUSINESS SEGMENT
- 7.2.7 SALES BY GEOGRAPHIC SEGMENT
- 7.2.8 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.2.9 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS
- 7.3. AMERICAN EXPRESS COMPANY
- 7.3.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.3.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.3.3 OPERATING BUSINESS SEGMENTS
- 7.3.4 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.3.5 BUSINESS PERFORMANCE
- 7.3.6 SALES BY BUSINESS SEGMENT
- 7.3.7 SALES BY GEOGRAPHIC SEGMENT
- 7.3.8 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.3.9 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS
- 7.4. BLACKHAWK NETWORK HOLDINGS, INC.
- 7.4.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.4.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.4.3 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.4.4 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.4.5 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS
- 7.5. BEST BUY CO. INC.
- 7.5.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.5.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.5.3 OPERATING BUSINESS SEGMENTS
- 7.5.4 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.5.5 BUSINESS PERFORMANCE
- 7.5.6 SALES BY BUSINESS SEGMENT
- 7.5.7 SALES BY GEOGRAPHIC SEGMENT
- 7.5.8 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.5.9 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS
- 7.6. WALMART INC.
- 7.6.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.6.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.6.3 OPERATING BUSINESS SEGMENTS
- 7.6.4 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.6.5 BUSINESS PERFORMANCE
- 7.6.6 SALES BY BUSINESS SEGMENT
- 7.6.7 SALES BY GEOGRAPHIC SEGMENT
- 7.6.8 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.6.9 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS
- 7.7. STARBUCKS CORPORATION
- 7.7.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.7.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.7.3 OPERATING BUSINESS SEGMENTS
- 7.7.4 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.7.5 BUSINESS PERFORMANCE
- 7.7.6 SALES BY BUSINESS SEGMENT
- 7.7.7 SALES BY GEOGRAPHIC SEGMENT
- 7.7.8 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.7.9 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS
- 7.8. INCOMM PAYMENTS
- 7.8.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.8.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.8.3 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.8.4 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.8.5 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS
- 7.9. QWIKCILVER SOLUTIONS.
- 7.9.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.9.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.9.3 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.9.4 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.9.5 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS
- 7.10. CHIPOTLE MEXICAN GRILL INC.
- 7.10.1 COMPANY OVERVIEW
- 7.10.2 COMPANY SNAPSHOT
- 7.10.3 OPERATING BUSINESS SEGMENTS
- 7.10.4 PRODUCT PORTFOLIO
- 7.10.5 BUSINESS PERFORMANCE
- 7.10.6 SALES BY BUSINESS SEGMENT
- 7.10.7 KEY STRATEGIC MOVES & DEVELOPMENTS
- 7.10.8 PRIMARY MARKET COMPETITORS