Simba Information's “2020 National Instructional Materials Adoption Scorecard and 2021 Outlook ” provides a singular look at sales by subject and publisher in particular states-those states classified as adoption states, which conduct statewide reviews and purchasing processes for instructional materials.
This report includes individual analyses of the Texas 9-12 English language arts adoption results, as well as significant sales results from individual districts in the K-8 social studies and science adoptions in California, 6-12 world languages and CTE sales in Florida and English language arts in North Carolina.
The onslaught of the COVID-19 pandemic coincided with the beginning of the active decision-making season in school districts. While the pandemic disrupted the adoption process--particularly fulfillment--it did not crash it.
While adoptions in reading and math continue to be the largest revenue generators, seasons like 2020 with statewide adoptions in world languages and career and technical education courses provide opportunities for a broader array of publishers.
As 2021 gets under way, school districts gearing up for a new round of instructional materials adoptions. Among the leading opportunities is English language arts with a significant adoption in Florida (K-12), bolstered by opportunities in Mississippi and West Virginia and high school ELA in New Mexico.
The “2020 National Instructional Materials Adoption Scorecard and 2021 Outlook ” provides valuable insight into:
- the process of state textbooks adoptions
- the factors that influence sales in the school districts
- outcomes by publishers
- the broadening of the field of participants in adoptions
- upcoming opportunities through 2024.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION AND TRENDS
- 18 STATES FORM CORE OF INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS ADOPTIONS
- Table 1.1: Instructional Materials Adoption States
- Adoption Cycles
CHAPTER 2: 2020 STATE ADOPTION RESULTS
- TEXAS 9-12 ELA ADOPTION
- Table 2.1: Texas 9-12 English Language Arts Adoption Sales, 2020 ($ actual and rounded; ranked by total share)
- CALIFORNIA SCHOOLS PICK SOCIAL STUDIES AND SCIENCE PROGRAMS
- LA Science Order Share by Grade
- Table 2.2: Selected California District Adoption Sales, 2020 ($ actual and rounded; ranked by total share)
- WORLD LANGUAGES AND CTE IN FLORIDA
- Table 2.2: Selected Florida District Adoption Sales, 2020 ($ actual and rounded; ranked by total share)
- NORTH CAROLINA OFFERED K-12 ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS
- Table 2.3: North Carolina K-12 English Language Arts Adoption Sales, 2020 ($ actual and rounded; ranked by total share)
- TAKEAWAYS FROM 2020 ADOPTIONS
CHAPTER 3: LOOKING AHEAD-2021 AND BEYOND
- FLORIDA TO ADOPT ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS
- Table 3.1: Florida 2020-2021 K-12 English Language Arts Adoption Bid List
- Table 3.1: Florida 2020-2021 K-12 English Language Arts Adoption Bid List, Continued
- TEXAS UPDATES PREK SYSTEMS IN 2021
- Table 3.2: Approved Titles in Texas Proclamation 2021 Pre-K Adoption
- Table 3.2: Approved Titles in Texas Proclamation 2021 Pre-K Adoption, continued
- VIRGINIA APPROVES SCIENCE CORE CURRICULUM PROGRAMS
- Table 3.3: Virginia Approved Science Titles for K-12 Adoption
- Table 3.3: Virginia Approved Science Titles for K-12 Adoption, continued
- TENNESSEE LAUNCHES READING 360 INITIATIVE
- ALABAMA LAUNCHES A K-12 MATH ADOPTION
- Alabama Approved Core Math Titles for 2021-2027 K-12 Adoption
- Supplemental Resources
- COMING ADOPTION ACTIVITY
- Table 3.3: State K-12 Instructional Materials Adoption Schedule, Purchase Years 2020-2023