Colour digital printing is well on the way to being a highly disruptive force, first for labels and more recently in several segments of the much larger packaging industry.
Over the last decade this multi-facetted & complex industry has transformed dramatically with major advances in colour inkjet digital press design & print head technology, as well as developments in substrate materials & inks formulations.
It is Vandagraf's view that growth of colour inkjet digital printing across the labels / packaging industries, already seeing double digit growth, will actually speed up through to 2023 and beyond as the relentless roll-out of colour inkjet printing of labels & packaging, particularly for the very fast emerging industrial scale high volume colour inkjet.
As the demand for mass versioning and customization of labels & packaging continues to grow, colour digital printing is becoming an increasingly vital component part of converter's capabilities.
The big volume demand for consumables will soon dwarf demand for very short run prototyping, versioning and the like, especially In terms of demand for consumables (substrate materials & digital inks)
So the main focus of the report is on automated high-volume / high-speed industrial scale applications for colour inkjet digital printing & presses which will account for the bulk of demand for consumables (substrate materials & inks).
The report can potentially be of great value to:
- Labels & Packaging converters
- Systems Integrators & Press Builders (OEMS / Independents)
- Press builders - Both digital and digital / analogue hybrid presses
- Print Head Providers
- Consumables providers
- Substrate Materials
- Digital Inks.
- Brand owners.
The stakes are high and clarity is needed for today & tomorrow - And this can be challenging for the industry in the face of a very rapidly evolving industry environment.
This Vandagraf report can provide support to companies needing to make informed & wise strategic decisions in relation the new World of colour inkjet digital for the immediate term and for the future.
This Vandagraf report explores in depth the dynamic and continuing rise of Colour inkjet digital printing in global Labels & Packaging markets.
The Digital Print Landscape is Complex & Rapidly Evolving
Investing in a new colour inkjet digital printing press may not be straightforward for a converter (label / packaging), for several reasons:
- Converters are confronted with increasingly wide array of choices in terms of presses
- Given the rate of evolution of the industry, presses are likely to become obsolete much faster than analogue presses that in some case continue in use for decades
- Converters may not be looking for a digital press to satisfy the requirements of existing customers, but may be interested to explore new markets & opportunities beyond their current printing capabilities
For example a wider web colour inkjet digital press can open the door for narrow web players to address printing of new larger packaging formats that may offer high volume / high value added opportunities
And / or label converters may wish to consider business for additional substrate materials (eg: cartonboard, flexible film) within the narrow web format).
In turn it is important for systems integrators, press builders, print head makers & consumables providers (substrate materials & digital inks) all to build up an understanding of requirements & trends within the converter community - Which are also evolving.
This can provide valuable input for R&D and new press development - And of course lead time for press development are relatively long.
In addition the end user brand owners need to develop a better understanding of the big benefits that can be harvested from colour inkjet digital printing - Even if colour inkjet digital printing of labels & packaging may cost a bit more than traditional analogue printing for longer print runs.
And this feeds back to press development for the future.
Market Growth Trends
Already in strong ascendancy in 2018:
- Digitally Printed Labels (already mainstream with plenty more scope for growth)
- Digitally Printed Packaging (emerging rapidly the packaging industry is much larger and more diverse than Labels).
Table of Contents
- The Digital Print Landscape is Complex & Rapidly Evolving
- Market Growth Trends
- Some Helpful Trends in Consumer packaging
- Leading Digital Colour Printing Technologies (inkjet / Electro-photographic)
- Digital Labels
- Digital Packaging
- Key Benefits & Cost Issues
- Colour Digital Printing - Major Potential Benefits for Brand Owners
- Cost Issues - Digital / Analogue / Hybrid - Run Length
- Proliferation of Colour Inkjet Digital Press Providers & Press Designs
- Some Key Design Aspects for Colour Inkjet Digital Presses
- Wider Web Width Format Digital Presses
- Systems Integrators & Press Builders
- Vertically Integrated Systems Integrators
- Independent Systems Integrators
- Substrate Materials & Inks
- Summary of Report Structure