JPR's quarterly report Market Watch gives market share (in units) of all suppliers of graphics chips, integrated, embedded, and discrete worldwide.
Historical data is included from Q1'04. Market Watch is supplied in electronic form and includes a written summary of the quarter and an in-depth spreadsheet.
Market Watch is a valuable resource for understanding the PC market providing insight into the capabilities of PCs in use today and coming in the near future.
The latest version of Market Watch is our Q4'2020 Report.
GPU shipments soar once more in Q4
The PC GPU market shipments increased by 20.5% sequentially from last quarter and increased by 29.1% year-to-year.
The growth of PC-based Graphics Processor Units (GPU) shipments of all types worldwide reached 20.5 percent in Q4 2020 and 12.4 percent year over year. Overall, the installed base of GPUs will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 3.7 percent during 2020-2025 to reach a total of 419 million units at the end of the forecast period. Over the next five years, the penetration of discrete GPUs (dGPU) in the PC will grow to reach a level of 21 percent.
AMD's overall market share percentage from last quarter decreased by -2.2%, Intel's percentage of market share increased 6.6%, and Nvidia's market share percentage decreased by -4.37%, as indicated in the following chart.
Quarterly shipments and market share
percentages and year-to-year results
Overall GPU shipments increased by 20.5% from last quarter, AMD shipments increased 6.4%, Intel's shipments rose 33.2%, and Nvidia's shipments decreased by -7.3%.
- AMD's overall unit shipments increased by 6.4% quarter-to-quarter, Intel's total shipments rose by 33.2% from the last quarter, and Nvidia's decreased by -7.3%.
- The GPU's overall attach rate (which includes integrated and discrete GPUs, desktop, notebook, and workstations) to PCs for the quarter was 113%, down -9.2% from last quarter.
- The overall PC market increased by 30.25% quarter-to-quarter and increased 35.76% year-to-year.
- Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs that use discrete GPUs) decreased by -3.90% from the last quarter.
- Q4'20 saw an increase in tablet shipments from last quarter.
GPUs are traditionally a leading indicator of the market since a GPU goes into every system before the suppliers ship the PC.
As a result of the work-at-home mandates due to the COVID-19 pandemic, notebook shipments exceeded 230 million units for the first time. In addition, the year-to-year growth was 49% the greatest one-year growth on record. And that was accomplished with disruptions in the supply chain due to trade wars, pandemic shutdowns, and material shortage. The forecast for 2021will be more modest, ~ 6%, but still higher than average. Chromebooks made a substantial contribution to growth in 2020, and we expect to see that taper off in 2021 due to school budget limitations unless the COVID relief package in the US comes through and adds new funds.
The overall PC market increased by 30.25% quarter-to-quarter and increased 35.76% year-to-year.
A subscription to Market Watch includes 4 reports distributed quarterly, reports consist of a detailed spreadsheet, report highlights include:
- Worldwide GPU and PC Shipment Volume, 1994 to2025.
- Detailed worldwide GPU Shipment Volume, 1Q 2001 to date, and forecast to 2025
- Major suppliers: Detailed market share data on the shipments of AMD, Intel, Nvidia, and others.
- Market forecasts: a detailed spreadsheet and supporting charts that project the supplier's shipments over the period 2001 to2025. Projections are split into platforms and GPU types.
- GPUs: History, status, and analysis.
- A vision of the future: Built upon a solid foundation of facts, data, and sober analysis, this section pulls together all of the report's findings and paints a vivid picture of where the PC graphics market is headed.
- Charts, graphics, tables, and more: Included with this report is an Excel workbook, which contains the data we used to create the charts in this report. The workbook has charts and supplemental information.
Subscribers also get four-hours of consulting time to discuss the market, products, forecast, and any other related issues.
Each quarterly report consists of a written (PDF) narrative about the market and an in-depth spreadsheet with Pivot table.