The global composite repair market size was worth USD XX billion in 2020 and is estimated to reach USD XX billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of XX % during the forecast period (2021-2028).
Composite materials consist of two or more different materials with distinct physical and chemicals properties, designed and developed to make a more superior or stronger material as per the need. The process of repairing such material is known as composite repair. Henceforth, the surge in demand for composite materials across industries like aerospace, wind energy, automotive, industrial, marine, oil & gas, and others led to the global composite repair market's growth. As per Statista, the aerospace industry alone accounted for some 18,000 metric tons of carbon fiber demand in 2017. Other common examples of composite materials include composite wood, metal matrix composites, and reinforced concrete.
Moreover, the composite repair technology is ISO- and ASTM-certified used to find defects in composite materials and fix them. Composite repairing serves to correct faults in composite materials used in a wide range of equipment such as large diameter fluid transporting pipelines, high-pressure piping systems, flanges, valves, fittings, pressurized vessels and tanks, primary body connections, supports, nozzles and others.
Manufacturing industries and critical industrial applications are expected to multiply, and therefore it is anticipated that the composite repairing market will register a significant CAGR.
The rising cost of composite part replacements, increasing demand for composite materials across different industries drive the composite repair market's growth during the forecast period.
The rising cost of composite part replacement is driving the market for composite repair
The major driving force of composite repair is the rising cost of composite part replacements. Composite materials like carbon fiber and glass fiber are still more expensive than more traditional products like steel, aluminum, and wood. Industry leaders are working hard to bring costs down, knowing that doing so will make quite a bit more competitive. Henceforth, repairing becomes a feasible option rather than replacing a part of composite materials to bring the cost down or make it cost-effective.
Increasing demand for composite materials across different industries is boosting the composite overall repair market.
The rising demand for composite materials across different industries like commercial and regional aircraft, such as B787 and A350XWB, requires intensive maintenance, repair, & overhaul (MRO) services.
Countries like China, US, Germany, Spain, and India will further drive up the market by installing more wind turbines. According to preliminary statistics published by WWEA, the overall capacity of all wind turbines installed worldwide by the end of 2018 reached 600 Gigawatt.
Due to the transportation of crude oil and natural gases through pipelines, composite materials have increased in the pipeline industry. The pipelines laid across countries witness harsh and hostile environments. It needs maintenance and repair of cracks, leakage, and corrosion. Thus here, composite repairing is done.
However, the major restraint to the composite repair market's growth is the shortage of skilled labor and developments in self-healing technology.
The shortage of skilled labor is restraining the composite repair market
Due to composite structures' wear and tear, the market will require experienced technicians to repair quickly to avoid financial loss due to project downtime. Lack of standardization of material and testing process causes the repair process and material to vary from industry to industry.
Developments in the field of self-healing composites is a barrier to the growth of composite repair
Developments in self-healing composites like hollow fibers lost-wax process and solid-state self-healing, which helps detect damage, and change shape, can obstruct the global composite's growth repair market.
The composite repair market is segmented into cosmetic, resin injection, structural and semi-structural plug/patch based on repair types.
Cosmetic is a superficial, non-structural filler used to restore a surface to keep fluids out until a more permanent repair is made.
Resin injection is used where delamination is restricted to one-ply and thus useful only in few instances.
A semi-structural plug/patch can regain some strength. The mechanically-fastened plug (i.e., core plug) and patch repair can be beneficial where thick solid laminates are used since they take bolt loads well.
Full structural repairs using bolted doublers can be used in heavily loaded solid laminates. This is often the only practical means of repairing such structures. However, such repairs are not aerodynamically smooth and may cause "signature" problems in systems where low-observability by radar is required.
The composite repair market is categorized into aerospace & defense, wind energy, automotive, marine and oil and gas industry based on the end-user industry.
Aerospace and Defense to Lead the Growth of the Composite Repair Market
Increasing demand for composite materials from the aerospace industry and defense is expected to increase the composite repair market. The use of composite materials in commercial aircraft is enormous since the reduced airframe weight enables better fuel economy and lowers operating costs.
Increasing composite content in new commercial aircraft, such as Airbus A350 and Boeing 787 Dreamliner, is likely to drive the combined repair market in the coming years. Boeing 787 has composite materials of almost 50% by weight. As per Lufthansa Technik, 53 percent of the Airbus A350's airframe is made of carbon fiber reinforced plastic.
The rising air traffic in Asia-Pacific and Middle East regions is also likely to spur commercial and passenger aircraft demand, increasing tourism and travel.
The consumption of aramid fiber has grown not only in aerospace but also in the defense vertical. The increase in investments in the defense industry and the growth in these fibers' consumption are expected to increase in the next ten years. Countries like China, US, Russia, Saudi Arabia, India, Japan, and France are gradually growing their aerospace and defense budgets due to global security threats' resurgence.
Due to the factors mentioned above, aerospace and defense are expected to drive composite repair demand over the forecast period.
The global composite repair market has been studied across five major regions: Asia-Pacific, North America, South America, Europe, and the Middle East & Africa.
Asia-Pacific Region to lead the Composite Repair Market
Asia-Pacific is projected to lead the composite repair market because of the government initiatives focusing on a clean environment, thus installing wind energy turbines. As per the JEC group, Asia-Pacific invests up to USD 250 billion in the wind and solar energy projects by 2025. In India, defense manufacturing has improved, and the country has grown its export of defense equipment to countries such as Indonesia, Nepal, Vietnam, South Korea, Myanmar, Israel and Russia.
Moreover, the ISRO is also developing space crafts, which are expected to drive the Asia-Pacific region's composite repair market. With multinational companies interested in Asia-Pacific countries and the governments supporting the aerospace industry, composite repair demand is to flourish in this region.
Henceforth, these factors are likely to boost the composite repair market in the Asia-Pacific region.
The composite repair market is competitive with the presence of local as well as global companies. Some of the key players which are contributing to the growth of the market include Lufthansa Technik AG, Air France KLM E&M, HAECO, UpWind Solution, Total Wind Group A/S, Technical Wind Services, Citadel Technologies, Hexcel, Gurit, The 3M Company, Heatcon Composite Systems among others. The major players are adopting several growth strategies such as product launches, acquisitions, and collaborations, contributing to the Composite Repair market's growth globally.
Lufthansa Technik AG
Overview: It provides maintenance, completions, repair, and overhaul (MRO) services for aircraft and MRO services for engines and components. The Lufthansa Technik consists of 32 companies with more than 25,500 employees. It is a subsidiary of the Lufthansa Group.
Product Portfolio: The portfolio comprises the testing, repair, maintenance, overhaul and modification for nacelles, radomes and flight controls. Comprehensive spare parts in supply, asset management, pooling concepts, contract management, manufactured parts (21 G), and engineering are delivered.
- With the new robot's help, mobile service teams can detect and repair large damaged areas on the wings and the aircraft's fuselage - on-site and even upside down. For the repair, the robot scans the damage, identifies the surface and calculates both the scarf joint's shape and the milling path before cutting out the damaged material. Afterward, the repair layers are cut to size and inserted into the robot's 3D scarfed surface. The newly inserted part is then manually bonded to the fuselage and cured. The procedure enhances the bonding strength and also offers reproducible repairs.
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the composition of the composite repair market segmentation by type, end-user and region, highlighting the critical commercial assets and players.
- Identify commercial opportunities in the composite repair market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of the composite repair market-level 4/5 segmentation.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the critical product of all major market players
The global composite repair market report would provide 53 market data tables, 45 figures and 236 pages.
- Service Providers/ Buyers
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Table of Contents
1. Global Composite Repair Market Methodology and Scope
- 1.1. Research Methodology
- 1.2. Research Objective and Scope of the Report
2. Global Composite Repair Market - Market Definition and Overview
3. Global Composite Repair Market - Executive Summary
- 3.1. Market Snippet by Type
- 3.2. Market snippet by End-User
- 3.3. Market Snippet by Region
4. Global Composite Repair Market-Market Dynamics
- 4.1. Market Impacting Factors
- 4.1.1. Drivers
- 188.8.131.52. The rising cost of composite part replacement
- 184.108.40.206. Increasing Demand for Composite Materials
- 4.1.2. Restraints:
- 220.127.116.11. Shortage of Skilled Labor
- 18.104.22.168. Developments in the field of self-healing composites
- 4.1.3. Opportunity
- 4.1.4. Impact Analysis
5. Global Composite Repair Market - Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.2. Supply Chain Analysis
- 5.3. Pricing Analysis
- 5.4. Regulatory Analysis
- 5.5. Reimbursement Analysis
- 5.6. Unmet Needs
6. Global Composite Repair Market - COVID-19 Analysis
- 6.1. Analysis of Covid-19 on the Market
- 6.1.1. Before COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.2. Present COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.3. After COVID-19 or Future Scenario
- 6.2. Pricing Dynamics Amid Covid-19
- 6.3. Demand-Supply Spectrum
- 6.4. Government Initiatives Related to the Market During Pandemic
- 6.5. Manufacturers Strategic Initiatives
- 6.6. Conclusion
7. Global Composite Repair Market - By Type
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type Segment
- 7.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Type Segment
- 7.2. Cosmetics*
- 7.2.1. Introduction
- 7.2.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 7.3. Resin Injection
- 7.4. Structural
- 7.5. Semi-structural Plug/Patch
8. Global Composite Repair Market - By End-User
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 8.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By End-User
- 8.2. Aerospace & Defense*
- 8.2.1. Introduction
- 8.2.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 8.3. Wind Energy
- 8.4. Automotive
- 8.5. Marine
- 8.6. Oil and Gas
9. Global Composite Repair Market - By Region
- 9.1. Introduction
- 9.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Region
- 9.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Region
- 9.2. North America
- 9.2.1. Introduction
- 9.2.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.2.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.2.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 9.2.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 22.214.171.124. US
- 126.96.36.199. Canada
- 188.8.131.52. Mexico
- 9.3. Europe
- 9.3.1. Introduction
- 9.3.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.3.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.3.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 9.3.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 184.108.40.206. Germany
- 220.127.116.11. U.K.
- 18.104.22.168. France
- 22.214.171.124. Italy
- 126.96.36.199. Spain
- 188.8.131.52. Rest of Europe
- 9.4. South America
- 9.4.1. Introduction
- 9.4.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.4.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.4.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 9.4.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 184.108.40.206. Brazil
- 220.127.116.11. Argentina
- 18.104.22.168. Rest of South America
- 9.5. Asia Pacific
- 9.5.1. Introduction
- 9.5.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.5.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.5.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 9.5.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 22.214.171.124. China
- 126.96.36.199. India
- 188.8.131.52. Japan
- 184.108.40.206. Australia
- 220.127.116.11. Rest of Asia Pacific
- 9.6. Middle East and Africa
- 9.6.1. Introduction
- 9.6.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 9.6.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 9.6.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
10. Global Composite Repair Market - Competitive Landscape
- 10.1. Competitive Scenario
- 10.2. Market Positioning/Share Analysis
- 10.3. Mergers and Acquisitions Analysis
11. Global Composite Repair Market- Company Profiles
- 11.1. Lufthansa Technik AG*
- 11.1.1. Company Overview
- 11.1.2. Product Portfolio and Description
- 11.1.3. Key Highlights
- 11.1.4. Financial Overview
- 11.2. Air France KLM E&M
- 11.3. HAECO
- 11.4. UpWind Solution
- 11.5. Total Wind Group A/S
- 11.6. Technical Wind Services
- 11.7. Citadel Technologies
- 11.8. Hexcel
- 11.9. The 3M Company
- 11.10. Heatcon Composite Systems
LIST NOT EXHAUSTIVE
12. Global Composite Repair Market - Premium Insights
13. Global Composite Repair Market - DataM
- 13.1. Appendix
- 13.2. About Us and Services
- 13.3. Contact Us