Hydrocephalus shunts market size was worth US$ XX million in 2021 and is estimated to reach US$ XX million by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 5.3 % during the forecast period (2022-2029).
A hydrocephalus shunt is a medical device that helps in treating a condition in the brain in which excessive accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid occurs which results in increased intracranial pressure within the skull. These devices relieve pressure on the brain caused by fluid accumulation.
The growth of the hydrocephalus shunts market is due to the rise in the geriatric population, a rise in the prevalence of brain and neurological disorder and increasing adoption of advanced programmable valves.
Increasing adoption of advanced programmable valves is expected to hold the largest share in this market segment
Neurosurgeons are inclining towards the latest technology shunts, antisiphon devices and advance programmable valves. Antisiphone devices help in avoiding siphon effects over cerebrospinal fluid. Additionally, the increasing prevalence of brain disorders is leading to high demand for advanced shunts for treating hydrocephalus. For instance, according to an article published by American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in March 2021, in the United States, about 2.8 million people sustain a traumatic brain injury (TBI) every year, with some 280,000 resulting in hospitalizations. Approximately 50,000 are fatal cases causing 155 deaths every day from TBI-related injuries which can be the contributing factor for the growth of hydrocephalus shunts market. Furthermore, product launches, product approval and increase in focus by several players on expanding product portfolio in neurosurgery is also anticipated to propel the hydrocephalus shunts market.
Lack of skilled expertise is likely to hamper the market growth
The Association of periOperative Registered Nurses' recommendations includes proper usage of electrosurgery devices and a checklist to minimize the risks for hospital staff and patients. Inefficient use of electrosurgery devices causes thermal burns to the patients. The risk of complications is often linked to the surgeon's fundamental knowledge of surgical techniques, instruments, biophysics, anatomy, and safe technical equipment. Likewise, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education has mandated the development of novel methods of training and maintenance of the skills. Thus, the lack of skilled expertise and the need for more experienced professionals will potentially hamper the growth of the market during the forecast period.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The world has been facing the huge threat of COVID-19. As per the World Health Organization (WHO), COVID-19 is infectious, and most people infected by the virus experience mild to moderate respiratory illness. The COVID-19 outbreak had a significant impact on the hydrocephalus shunts market. The lockdown measures across the world resulted in decreased public mobility and significantly impacted the clinical research and development studies and surgeries, as the procedures which were non-immediate, were postponed to decrease the burden on healthcare infrastructure. As per the study published by the Neurology Online Journal, in 2020, COVID-19 could potentially be responsible for the patients developing new neurological disorders. The increase in new disorders has resulted in a higher risk of in-hospital mortality and decreased likelihood of being discharged sooner. The study closely monitored 606 adult COVID-19 patients diagnosed with brain or other nerve-related medical conditions at any point of their infection. The injuries incurred ranged from temporary confusion due to low body-oxygen levels, to stroke and seizures in most of the serious cases. Such factors may positively influence the market studied.
The hydrocephalus catheters segment is expected to hold the largest share in this market segment
The Catheters are a major part of managing hydrocephalus, and certain patient populations are at greater risk of developing shunt infections. Catheters divert cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) from the site with an excess volume of CSF to a location within the body where the CSF will be absorbed.
The proximal catheter (ventricular or lumbar catheter) drains excess CSF from the ventricles or the lumbar spinal sac through rows of small holes at its origin. Distal catheters are typically placed in the abdominal cavity. However, they can also be placed in the heart, pleural cavity (lungs), and other suitable locations where CSF is drained into the bloodstream.
Additionally, the technological advancements in these devices to combat the issues of biocompatibility, infection, and fouling are expected to contribute to the future growth of this segment. For example, a few shunt catheter is impregnated with antibiotics to reduce the incidence of infection during the post-operative period, such as the CODMAN BACTISEAL catheter and the Medtronic Ares catheter. The Ares antibiotic-impregnated catheters help reduce bacterial colonization.
Moreover, current research focuses on the potential redesign of the hydrocephalus catheters, which helps the segment grow faster. For example, in 2020, MIT researchers have published a paper in the Journal of the Royal Society Interface, which proposes and validates a new design principle for hydrocephalus catheters. The design seeks to overcome a central challenge of these devices where they regularly become clogged. The novel design principle could prevent catheter failure in brain shunts. These products have attracted a significant amount of attention due to their potential prospects in treating hydrocephalus and other brain disorders. Thus, this segment is likely to grow significantly over the forecast period due to the factors mentioned above.
North America region holds the largest market share of global hydrocephalus shunts market
North America region is expected to hold a significant market share in the global Hydrocephalus Shunts market due to the rise in the number of patients with hydrocephalus and the burgeoning emphasis on the management of neurological disorders. As per Hydrocephalus Association, in 2019, an estimated 1 million people in the United States were affected by hydrocephalus and 1 in every 1000 babies has hydrocephalus, thus leading to the adoption of hydrocephalus shunts and promoting the growth in this region.
The growth of the United States market is attributed to the rising geriatric population, rising prevalence of brain and neurological disorders, and increasing adoption of advanced programmable valves. Such a large population base suffering from the disease is expected to drive the demand for these products. Furthermore, several players' product launches, approval, and increased focus on their expanding product portfolios in neurosurgery are anticipated to propel the US hydrocephalus shunts market. For instance, in 2020, Aesculap Inc., in partnership with Christoph Miethke GmbH & Co. KG, launched the M.blue Valve, the latest generation of hydrocephalus valve technology. Its unique gravitational technology is integrated with a fixed differential pressure unit in one Valve, allowing for a simple, position-dependent solution.
The global hydrocephalus shunts market is moderately competitive with presence of local as well as global companies. Some of the key players which are contributing to the growth of the market include Christoph Miethke GmbH & Co. KG, Medtronic Plc, Sophysa, Tokibo Co., Ltd., Spiegelberg GmbH & Co. KG., B. Braun Melsungen AG, Integra LifeSciences Corporation and Johnson & Johnson. The major players are adopting several growth strategies such as product launches, acquisitions, and collaborations, which are contributing to the growth of the hydrocephalus shunts globally. For instance, In August 2021, Researchers receive USD 14 million grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) to study the effectiveness of hydrocephalus treatment.
Key Companies to Watch
Overview: Medtronic plc is a key medical device company. Its headquarters are in Dublin, Ireland. Its operational headquarters are in Fridley, Minnesota. Medtronic has four operating segments: Cardiac and Vascular, Minimally Invasive Therapies, Restorative Therapies, and Diabetes, and each group is separated into business divisions that deliver a wide range of medical technologies, therapies, services, and solutions. Medtronic operates in more than 140 countries. It employs over 85,000 people and has more than 53,000 patents.
Product Portfolio: It includes Strata valves, Ares Antibiotic-Impregnated Catheters.
Ares Antibiotic Impregnated Catheters help reduce colonization of Gram-positive bacteria on the catheter surface and can be part of any Medtronic CSF delivery system.
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the composition of the hydrocephalus shunts market segmentation by product type, age group, end user and region highlighting the key commercial assets and players.
- Identify commercial opportunities in hydrocephalus shunts market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of hydrocephalus shunts market - level 4/5 segmentation.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the key product of all major market players.
The global hydrocephalus shunts market report would provide an access to an approx. 52 market data table, 46 figures and 200 pages.
- Service Providers/ Buyers
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Table of Contents
1. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Methodology and Scope
- 1.1. Research Methodology
- 1.2. Research Objective and Scope of the Report
2. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - Market Definition and Overview
3. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - Executive Summary
- 3.1. Market Snippet by Product Type
- 3.2. Market Snippet by Age Group
- 3.3. Market Snippet by End-User
- 3.4. Market Snippet by Region
4. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - Market Dynamics
- 4.1. Market Impacting Factors
- 4.1.1. Drivers:
- 22.214.171.124. Increasing Adoption of Advanced Programmable Valves
- 4.1.2. Restraints:
- 126.96.36.199. Lack of skilled expertise
- 4.1.3. Opportunity
- 4.1.4. Impact Analysis
5. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 5.2. Supply Chain Analysis
- 5.3. Pricing Analysis
- 5.4. Regulatory Analysis
- 5.5. PEST Analysis
6. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - COVID-19 Analysis
- 6.1. Analysis of Covid-19 on the Market
- 6.1.1. Before COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.2. Present COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 6.1.3. After COVID-19 or Future Scenario
- 6.2. Pricing Dynamics Amid Covid-19
- 6.3. Demand-Supply Spectrum
- 6.4. Government Initiatives Related to the Market During Pandemic
- 6.5. Manufacturers Strategic Initiatives
- 6.6. Conclusion
7. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - By Product Type
- 7.1. Introduction
- 7.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 7.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Product Type
- 7.2. Hydrocephalus Catheters*
- 7.2.1. Introduction
- 7.2.2. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2020-2029 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2021-2029
- 7.3. Hydrocephalus Valves
- 7.3.1. Adjustable Pressure Valves
- 7.3.2. Fix Pressure Valves
8. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - By Age Group
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Age Group
- 8.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Age Group
- 8.2. Children*
- 8.2.1. Introduction
- 8.2.2. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2020-2029 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2021-2029
- 8.3. Adults
9. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - By End-User
- 9.1. Introduction
- 9.1.1. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 9.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By End-User
- 9.2. Hospitals*
- 9.2.1. Introduction
- 9.2.2. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2020-2029 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2021-2029
- 9.3. Ambulatory Surgical Centers
10. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - By Region
- 10.1. Introduction
- 10.1.1. Market Size Analysis, US$ Million, 2020-2029 and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), 2021-2029, By Region
- 10.1.2. Market Attractiveness Index, By Region
- 10.2. North America
- 10.2.1. Introduction
- 10.2.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.2.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 10.2.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Age Group
- 10.2.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 10.2.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.2.6.1. U.S.
- 10.2.6.2. Canada
- 10.2.6.3. Mexico
- 10.3. Europe
- 10.3.1. Introduction
- 10.3.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.3.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 10.3.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Age Group
- 10.3.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 10.3.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.3.6.1. Germany
- 10.3.6.2. U.K.
- 10.3.6.3. France
- 10.3.6.4. Italy
- 10.3.6.5. Spain
- 10.3.6.6. Rest of Europe
- 10.4. South America
- 10.4.1. Introduction
- 10.4.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.4.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 10.4.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Age Group
- 10.4.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 10.4.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.4.6.1. Brazil
- 10.4.6.2. Argentina
- 10.4.6.3. Rest of South America
- 10.5. Asia Pacific
- 10.5.1. Introduction
- 10.5.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.5.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 10.5.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Age Group
- 10.5.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
- 10.5.6. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.5.6.1. China
- 10.5.6.2. India
- 10.5.6.3. Japan
- 10.5.6.4. Australia
- 10.5.6.5. Rest of Asia Pacific
- 10.6. Middle East and Africa
- 10.6.1. Introduction
- 10.6.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.6.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Product Type
- 10.6.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Age Group
- 10.6.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By End-User
11. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - Competitive Landscape
- 11.1. Competitive Scenario
- 11.2. Key Developments and Strategies
- 11.3. Company Share Analysis
- 11.4. Product Benchmarking
- 11.5. Key Companies to Watch
- 11.6. Company with disruptive technology
12. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market- Company Profiles
- 12.1. Medtronic Plc*
- 12.1.1. Company Overview
- 12.1.2. Product Portfolio and Description
- 12.1.3. Key Highlights
- 12.1.4. Financial Overview
- 12.2. Christoph Miethke GmbH & Co. KG
- 12.3. Sophysa
- 12.4. Tokibo Co., Ltd
- 12.5. Spiegelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- 12.6. B. Braun Melsungen AG
- 12.7. Integra LifeSciences Corporation
- 12.8. Johnson & Johnson
LIST NOT EXHAUSTIVE
13. Global Hydrocephalus Shunts Market - DataM
- 13.1. Appendix
- 13.2. About Us and Services
- 13.3. Contact Us