The global coated paper market is estimated to reach at a high CAGR during the forecast period (2021-2028).
Coated papers are paper that are coated with matte finishes, glossy and semi-gloss. Coated paper is treated with a mixture of chemicals and materials to improve surface properties such as gloss, weight, smoothness, and ink retention. The coating materials typically used are clay, calcium carbonate, kaolinite, bentonite, and talc. Polymers, such as polyethylene and polyolefin, are used to impart waterproof and tear strength characteristics. Moreover, the coating material is mixed with certain chemical additives, such as resins and dispersants, to enhance wet strength and UV resistance. The coating makes the base paper less porous, which is ideal for printing applications. Product demand is also propelled by rising impact of advertisements in media such as newsprints, magazines, brochures, and catalogs. Coated papers consists of a layer of clay or polymer applied on either or both sides. Such paper sheets result in brighter and sharper images in printing, and also offers better reflectivity compared to uncoated variants. The layer also adds a glossy and shining texture to the paper, giving it a professional touch to be used in magazines and other publications.
Source: DataM Intelligence Analysis (2019)
One of the important factors driving the growth of the coated paper market is the increasing utilization of coated paper across the packaging industry. The shifting global trend towards the use of eco-friendly products and ban of plastic packaging in the food & beverages industry is making a shift towards the usage of bio-based and degradable packaging materials. This trend is anticipated to increase the growth of the coated paper market during the forecast period. Furthermore, with the growing environmental concern and government initiatives to reduce plastic consumption across various geographies are projected to be another factor for the growth of the coated paper market during the forecast period.
Development of Customized Grades According to Applications
Many global established players operating in the coated paper market are manufacturing different grades or specifications of coated papers according to need of the applications. New grades of coated paper are being developed for packaging applications. Coated paper being a food grade product, it can be used extensively in dry-food packaging. Properties of coated paper products such as, thermal stability, moisture proofing, and mechanical flexibility proves essential for the food packaging industry. Thus increasing the need for different types of packaging materials is increasing globally.
Rising internet trade and online sales
Online calendaring will showcase the highest growth over the forecast period. This can be due to the technological advancements along with faster calendaring process compared to the online calenders. Furthermore, online calenders are available in a wide range of types including hard nip, soft nip, and multi nip calenders among others making them ideal for a wide range of applications.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic situation, both inward and outward supply chains of the paper industry have been totally disrupted, and are yet to fully recover. There has also been a severe decrease in demand due to the lockdown and closing down of educational institutions, commercial establishments and downstream printers, publishers, converters, stationery services among others. Demand for lightweight coated papers, which are used in magazines, catalogs, inserts, and decorative pages have also decreased during lockdown. Therefore, paper coated industry has been widely affected due to COVID-19.
Based on the coating material, the coated paper market has been classified into calcium carbonate, talc, Nitrates and others.
Calcium carbonate segment accounted for the highest market share in the global market
Based on coating material, the Grounded Calcium Carbonate (GCC) segment is projected to lead the coated paper market from 2016 to 2021. GCC is mined from natural limestone deposits by fine grinding, washing, and crushing natural white calcite (CaCO3). GCC offers optimum particle size with high brightness, which is essential during the coated paper manufacturing process. GCC improves brightness, opacity, and gloss of the coated paper and is a cost-effective coating material.
Based on the type, the coated paper market has been classified into coated fine paper, coated groundwood paper and others
Coated fine paper segment dominated the global coated paper market in 2019
Based on type, the coated fine paper segment is expected to lead the market for coated paper during the forecast period. Increasing demand from high-end printing of books, magazines, financial reports, and promotional materials has led to an increase in the consumption of coated paper in the printing industry. Coated paper, also being an eco-friendly product, is considered as a food grade product, due to which, it is being used extensively in food and pharmaceutical industries.
Source: DataM Intelligence Analysis (2019)
Based on geography, the study analyzes the coated paper market in the global market, including North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and the Middle East & Africa.
Asia-Pacific leads the global market throughout the forecast period
The Asia Pacific coated paper market dominated with the highest share. This is due to the expanding end-use industries for the packaging sector such as pharmaceutical manufacturing, food & beverages, personal care products, and online retail. The growth in e-commerce sector and internet trade have led to rising consumption of such papers in the packaging of home delivered products. Countries like China and Japan are the key countries contributing to the regional market growth in terms of significant consumer base, affordable labor, and regulations pertaining to plastic packaging. Moreover, the printing sector is also expanding into less tapped regions owing to an upsurge in printed packaging products and the developing advertisement sector.
The coated paper market is highly competitive, owing to the presence of big food brands. The key coated paper market players which are contributing to the growth of the global market include Nippon Paper Oji Holdings Corporation (Japan), Stora Enso Oyj (Finland), Industries Co. Ltd (Japan), Asia Pulp & Paper (Indonesia), Arjowiggins SAS (France), UPM-Kymmene Corp (Finland), Burgo Group SpA (Italy), Sappi Limited (South Africa), NewPage Corporation (US), Ballarpur Industries Limited (India), JK Paper Ltd (India), Minerals Technologies Inc. and others.
Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd
Overview: Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd. is a Japanese paper manufacturing company. The company's stock is listed on the Tokyo and Nagoya Stock Exchange and on the Osaka Securities Exchange. The stock is also constituent of the Nikkei 225 stock index. As of April 2013, the company has 33 subsidiaries and 11 associate companies. It is listed as one of the world's top 10 pulp and paper industry companies year-over-year and in 2012 it was sixth in the aforementioned list.
Product Portfolio: The company's portfolio comprises paper, paperboard, household paper products, specialty papers, logs and lumber, chemicals, functional films and others.
Why Purchase the Report?
- Visualize the coated paper market segmentation composition by coating material, type, and region, highlighting the critical commercial assets and players.
- Identify commercial opportunities in the coated paper market by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
- Excel data sheet with thousands of data points of coated paper market - level 2 segmentation.
- PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
- Product mapping in excel for the key product of all major market players
The global Coated Paper Market report would provide access to an approx. 57 market data table, 41 figures and 240 pages.
- Service Providers/ Buyers
- Industry Investors/Investment Bankers
- Education & Research Institutes
- Research Professionals
- Emerging Companies
Suggestions for Related Market Report:
- Specialty Paper Market
- Calcite Market
- Paper Coating Materials Market
- Paper Pigments Market
Table of Contents
1. Table of Contents
2. Global Coated Paper Market Methodology and Scope
- 2.1. Research Methodology
- 2.2. Research Objective and Scope of the Report
3. Global Coated Paper Market - Market Definition and Overview
4. Global Coated Paper Market - Executive Summary
- 4.1. Market Snippet by Coating Material
- 4.2. Market Snippet by Type
- 4.3. Market Snippet by Region
5. Global Coated Paper Market - Market Dynamics
- 5.1. Market Impacting Factors
- 5.1.1. Drivers
- 188.8.131.52. Development of Customized Grades According to Applications
- 184.108.40.206. Rising internet trade and online sales
- 5.1.2. Restraints
- 5.1.3. Opportunity
- 5.1.4. Impact Analysis
6. Global Coated Paper Market - Industry Analysis
- 6.1. Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 6.2. Supply Chain Analysis
- 6.3. Value Chain Analysis
- 6.4. PEST Analysis
- 6.5. Pricing Analysis
- 6.6. Regulatory Analysis
- 6.7. Reimbursement Analysis
- 6.8. Unmet Needs
- 6.9. Patent Trends
7. Global Coated Paper Market - COVID-19 Analysis
- 7.1. Analysis of Covid-19 on the Market
- 7.1.1. Before COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 7.1.2. Present COVID-19 Market Scenario
- 7.1.3. After COVID-19 or Future Scenario
- 7.2. Pricing Dynamics Amid Covid-19
- 7.3. Demand-Supply Spectrum
- 7.4. Government Initiatives Related to the Market During Pandemic
- 7.5. Manufacturers Strategic Initiatives
- 7.6. Conclusion
8. Global Coated Paper Market - By Coating Material
- 8.1. Introduction
- 8.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Coating Material Segment
- 8.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Coating Material Segment
- 8.3.1. Calcium Carbonate*
- 220.127.116.11. Introduction
- 18.104.22.168. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 8.3.2. Talc
- 8.3.3. Nitrates
- 8.3.4. Others
9. Global Coated Paper Market - By Type
- 9.1. Introduction
- 9.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type Segment
- 9.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Type Segment
- 9.3.1. Coated Fine Paper*
- 22.214.171.124. Introduction
- 126.96.36.199. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%)
- 9.3.2. Coated Groundwood Paper
- 9.3.3. Others
10. Global Coated Paper Market - By Region
- 10.1. Introduction
- 10.2. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Region
- 10.3. Market Attractiveness Index, By Region
- 10.4. North America
- 10.4.1. Introduction
- 10.4.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.4.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Coating Material
- 10.4.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.4.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.4.5.1. U.S.
- 10.4.5.2. Canada
- 10.4.5.3. Mexico
- 10.5. Europe
- 10.5.1. Introduction
- 10.5.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.5.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Coating Material
- 10.5.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.5.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.5.5.1. Germany
- 10.5.5.2. U.K.
- 10.5.5.3. France
- 10.5.5.4. Italy
- 10.5.5.5. Spain
- 10.5.5.6. Rest of Europe
- 10.6. South America
- 10.6.1. Introduction
- 10.6.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.6.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Coating Material
- 10.6.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.6.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.6.5.1. Brazil
- 10.6.5.2. Argentina
- 10.6.5.3. Rest of South America
- 10.7. Asia Pacific
- 10.7.1. Introduction
- 10.7.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.7.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Coating Material
- 10.7.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.7.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
- 10.7.5.1. China
- 10.7.5.2. India
- 10.7.5.3. Japan
- 10.7.5.4. Australia
- 10.7.5.5. Rest of Asia Pacific
- 10.8. Middle East and Africa
- 10.8.1. Introduction
- 10.8.2. Key Region-Specific Dynamics
- 10.8.3. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Coating Material
- 10.8.4. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Type
- 10.8.5. Market Size Analysis, and Y-o-Y Growth Analysis (%), By Country
11. Global Coated Paper Market - Competitive Landscape
- 11.1. Competitive Scenario
- 11.2. Market Positioning/Share Analysis
- 11.3. Mergers and Acquisitions Analysis
12. Global Coated Paper Market- Company Profiles
- 12.1. Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd*
- 12.1.1. Company Overview
- 12.1.2. Product Portfolio and Description
- 12.1.3. Key Highlights
- 12.1.4. Financial Overview
- 12.2. Oji Holdings Corporation
- 12.3. Stora Enso Oyj
- 12.4. Asia Pulp & Paper
- 12.5. UPM-Kymmene Corp
- 12.6. Arjowiggins SAS
- 12.7. Burgo Group SpA
- 12.8. Ballarpur Industries Limited
- 12.9. Sappi Limited
- 12.10. NewPage Corporation
- 12.11. JK Paper Ltd
- 12.12. Minerals Technologies Inc.(* LIST NOT EXHAUSTIVE)
13. Global Coated Paper Market - Premium Insights
14. Global Coated Paper Market - DataM Intelligence
- 14.1. Appendix
- 14.2. About Us and Services
- 14.3. Contact Us