Greater Regulatory Control and a Shift of Focus Away from Costly and Branded Drugs will Increase Generic Drugs' Market Share
The African continent grapples with a huge burden of communicable diseases, particularly HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria. With African governments facing major health financing challenges, a significant proportion of these disease areas are financed by global aid organizations that are also helping in poverty eradication in the continent. Parallelly, with each passing year, the incidence of non-communicable diseases has also been on the rise, along with the rising incomes of the African people. With rising incomes, there is greater indulgence in Westernised diets and unhealthy lifestyles that involve high alcohol intake and tobacco smoking.
The pharmaceutical market in Africa has had to keep up with these trends, providing the necessary medicines to combat the various diseases affecting people in African countries. While branded medicines have dominated the pharmaceutical market in the past decades, the current situation seems to favour the generic alternatives instead, as these achieve similar therapeutic outcomes. Taking into consideration the major financing challenges mentioned above, price becomes a key negotiating factor, resulting in governments focusing on acquiring the cheapest drugs in the global market.
Moreover, the supply chains and distribution channels in countries such as Kenya and Nigeria cater to more than 240 million people collectively. These channels are often overwhelmed, particularly with the additional challenges posed by an underdeveloped regulatory environment. This has led to a stronger focus on developing local pharmaceutical capabilities amongst both private and public sectors to cut down on imports that have historically been subject to exchange rate fluctuations. Interest in local manufacturing is growing, and governments are slowly transforming the regulatory environment to create a more conducive operating environment for pharmaceutical investors.
The study covers the following pharmaceutical therapeutic segments: anti-infective, cancer, cardiovascular, central nervous system, diabetes, and respiratory.
- Market overview and projections for the generic pharmaceutical market (2017-2022)
- Pharmaceutical supply chain analysis and discussion for Kenya and Nigeria
- Revenue forecast for the generic pharmaceutical market in each country
- Key trends, key participants, participant strategies, competitive environment analysis, and growth opportunities
- Strategic recommendations and future outlook of the generic pharmaceutical market
Key Issues Addressed:
- What is the generic pharmaceutical market size in Kenya and Nigeria?
- How is the pharmaceutical supply chain structured in these two countries?
- Who are the key generic pharmaceutical suppliers in Kenya and Nigeria?
- Who are the key distributors in the Kenyan and Nigerian generic pharmaceutical markets?
- What are the key growth opportunities in the Kenyan and Nigerian generic pharmaceutical markets?
Table of Contents
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- Key Findings
- Revenue Share by Therapeutic Segment
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
2. DRIVERS AND RESTRAINTS
- Key Market Drivers
- Drivers Explained
- Drivers Explained (continued)
- Key Market Restraints
- Restraints Explained
- Restraints Explained (continued)
3. KENYA ANALYSIS
- Healthcare Overview-Kenya
- Total Pharmaceutical Market Overview-Kenya
- Generic Pharmaceutical Market Overview-Kenya
- Generic vs. Branded Segmentation-Kenya
- Revenue Forecast-Kenya
- Revenue Forecast Discussion-Kenya
- Key Generic Pharmaceutical Products-Kenya
- Total Pharmaceutical Supply Chain-Kenya
- Generic Pharmaceutical Supply Chain-Kenya
- Supply Chain Analysis-Kenya
- Competitive Environment-Kenya
- Competitive Environment Assessment-Kenya
4. NIGERIA ANALYSIS
- Healthcare Overview-Nigeria
- Total Pharmaceutical Market Overview-Nigeria
- Generic Pharmaceutical Market Overview-Nigeria
- Generic vs. Branded Segmentation-Nigeria
- Revenue Forecast-Nigeria
- Revenue Forecast Discussion-Nigeria
- Total Pharmaceutical Supply Chain-Nigeria
- Generic Pharmaceutical Supply Chain-Nigeria
- Supply Chain Analysis-Nigeria
- Competitive Environment-Nigeria
- Competitive Environment Assessment-Nigeria
5. GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES AND COMPANIES TO ACTION
- Growth Opportunity 1-Public-Private Partnerships
- Growth Opportunity 2-Regulatory Reform
- Growth Opportunity 3-API Manufacturing
- Growth Opportunity 4-Vaccine Manufacturing
- Growth Opportunity 5-Research and Development
- Strategic Imperatives for Pharmaceutical Companies
6. THE LAST WORD
- The Last Word-3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
8. THE FROST & SULLIVAN STORY
The Frost & Sullivan Story
- The Frost & Sullivan Story
- Value Proposition-Future of Your Company & Career
- Global Perspective
- Industry Convergence
- 360° Research Perspective
- Implementation Excellence
- Our Blue Ocean Strategy