The cell lysis market is projected to register a CAGR of 8.5% during the forecast period, with a revenue of approximately USD 3,560 million in 2020 and expected to reach USD 6,200 million by 2026. The market is expected to grow due to increasing expenditure in research and development, increasing application of pharmaceuticals and biopharmaceutical industries, and a rising focus on personalized medicine.
The severe respiratory consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic have prompted an urgent need for novel therapies that have increased the number of drug discoveries that have positively impacted the cell lysis market. There was an increasing number of researches found taking place for instance, in May 2020, the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) in India undertook a project to sequence 1,000 SARS-CoV-2 genomes from samples to understand the evolving behavior of the virus that causes the COVID-19. The samples were being collected across India to study the emerging mutations in the virus and how they change the symptoms of the disease. Therefore, all these increasing researches have utilized different processes and have increased the demand for the systems and reagents. Therefore the high adoption of cell lysis and disruption methods during downstream processing to manufacture bio-therapeutics and other animal-based recombinant products further boosts the overall market growth.
According to the GLOBOCAN, in 2020, there were around 19,292,789 new cases of cancer that were reported worldwide while about 9,958,133 deaths occurred due to it. Also according to the World Cancer Research Fund, in 2018, there were 18 million cancer cases around the world. Lung and breast cancers were found to be the most common cancer globally. Furthermore, with the increase in the prevalence of infectious disease and cancer there is utilization of cell samples for research and development of drugs that is expected to show a positive growth for the cell lysis market.
Personalized medicine is found to be one of the latest development of gene-related studies that provide custom-tailored treatments as per the specific needs of patients which has massive significance in disease prevention, diagnosis, prognosis, and therapeutics. Protein or nucleic acid analysis is thus found to be most crucial to develop innovative solutions for clinical practices such as personalized medicines, where cell lysis holds an major role.
Furthermore, rise in investments by various government as well as private organizations in R&D related to biotechnological processes, and academics are expected to further drive the market significantly.
Key Market Trends
Instruments is Expected to be One of the Most Preferred Products for Cell Lysis in the Future
The instruments are found to be the tools or devices that are being used to lyse the cells. The instrument is further categorized as sonicators, homogenizers, french press, microfluidizer, and others. Instruments such as homogenizers and sonicators are used mostly for cell lysis/cell fractionation and sonicators are found leading all the instruments owing to their increasing use in cell fractionation.
With the increase in COVID-19, there are rising infectious diseases testing that has raised the demand for more number of drugs. With this, there has been an increase in cell processing procedures, thereby boosting the demand for instruments. The instruments are therefore being utilized to lyse the cells that have increased the overall demand.
Common instruments such as a blender and the polytron homogenizer, are found useful in extracting proteins from large amounts of complex mammalian tissue and in disrupting large volumes of yeast samples. These blenders are thus preferred for larger sample sizes and larger volumes, which has boosted the use of specialized instruments (e.g. a bead mill) that are being used to shake the container of sample and beads. Therefore many instrument manufacturers have developed a variety of instruments to carry the cell lysis procedures.
With the rising number of chronic diseases and rising infectious diseases, there is a high demand in the research laboratories and institutes, biopharmaceutical and biotechnology companies that have helped in boosting the overall drugs demand. The instruments can lyse cells and provide a high yield, maximize active compound, guarantees easy scalability and easy to clean (no unmounting) to the cells. All these advantages has raised the demand for instruments that are involved in cell lysis procedures.
However, the commercial availability and reliability of tools that are used in cell disruption & lysis are boosting the growth of this segment.
North America Dominates the Cell Lysis Market and is Expected to Continue Over the Forecast Period
North America is spearheading the global cell lysis market owing to increasing expenditure in research and development and increasing incidence of chronic diseases.
With the increase in COVID-19, there was an increase in lab testing techniques which was anticipated to intensify the progress of the cell lysis market. Furthermore, to support the scientists that were also found researching COVID-19 cellular response and developing vaccines, that is creating a huge demand for cell lysis systems and reagents used to meet their research needs. Therefore all these increasing numbers of researches have shown a positive impact on the market.
Furthermore, increasing demand for cell-based therapy for the treatment purpose of cancer is also expected to augment the growth of the cell lysis market. Also, the increasing prevalence and incidences of several diseases and rising research and developments expenditure in the North America region are triggering the need for advanced R&D scenario across all sectors of life sciences. According to the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association (PhRMA), 2018, US firms conduct over half the world's R&D in pharmaceuticals. Approximately USD 79.6 billion was invested in biopharmaceutical R&D in the United States in 2018.
Hence, the continuous growth of healthcare infrastructure in the United States and the increase in patient population provide wider opportunities for clinical laboratories to expand, and this helps in boosting the market growth.
The market studied is moderately competitive and consists of local as well as international companies. Some of the key players include Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc, Merck KGaA, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Qiagen NV, Becton Dickinson & Company among others. These companies are found focused on novel product development and acquisitions/collaborations to enhance their market position. With the advancements in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sector, few small to mid-sized companies are entering the market and it is believed that these companies will hold a substantial share of the market studied in the future. Also, the competition is increasing due to the new product launches in this market.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- 1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Market Drivers
- 4.2.1 Increasing Expenditure in Research and Development
- 4.2.2 Increasing Application of Pharmaceuticals and Biopharmaceutical Industries
- 4.2.3 Rising Focus On Personalized Medicine
- 4.3 Market Restraints
- 4.3.1 Regulatory Compliance
- 4.3.2 Issues in Mechanical Process to Apply in Microscale Level
- 4.4 Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type of Product
- 5.1.1 Instruments
- 18.104.22.168 Homogeniser
- 22.214.171.124 Centrifugation
- 126.96.36.199 Others
- 5.1.2 Reagents
- 5.2 By Type of Cells
- 5.2.1 Mammalian Cells
- 5.2.2 Microbial Cells
- 5.2.3 Plant Cells
- 5.3 By End User
- 5.3.1 Biotechnology or Biopharmaceutical Companies
- 5.3.2 Research Laboratories and Academic Institutes
- 5.3.3 Others
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 188.8.131.52 United States (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 184.108.40.206 Canada (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 220.127.116.11 Mexico (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 18.104.22.168 Germany (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 22.214.171.124 United Kingdom (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 126.96.36.199 France (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 188.8.131.52 Italy (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 184.108.40.206 Spain (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 5.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 18.104.22.168 China (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 22.214.171.124 Japan (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 126.96.36.199 India (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 188.8.131.52 Australia (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 184.108.40.206 South Korea (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 5.4.4 Middle East and Africa
- 18.104.22.168 GCC (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 22.214.171.124 South Africa (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East and Africa (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 5.4.5 South America
- 188.8.131.52 Brazil (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 184.108.40.206 Argentina (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
- 220.127.116.11 Rest of South America (By Type of Product, By Type of Cells, and By End User)
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 COMPANY PROFILES
- 6.1.1 Becton, Dickinson and Company
- 6.1.2 Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- 6.1.3 Danaher Corporation
- 6.1.4 Eppendorf AG
- 6.1.5 F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- 6.1.6 Labfreez Instruments Group Co., Ltd
- 6.1.7 Merck KGaA
- 6.1.8 Qsonica, LLC
- 6.1.9 Takara Bio Inc.
- 6.1.10 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- 6.1.11 Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.
- 6.1.12 Miltenyi Biotec
- 6.1.13 QIAGEN N.V.
- 6.1.14 Claremont BioSolutions, LLC
- 6.1.15 Microfluidics International Corporation
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS