The mining equipment market is anticipated to record a CAGR of 8.14%, during the forecast period, 2020-2025.
- Mining, as an industry, involves huge capital investment, of which, over one-third is for equipment.
- Any country that hosts mining operations is bound to have monetary, labor employment, and local industrial benefits. Of which, equipment and service suppliers accrue the majority, from any particular mining activity in the country.
- The global mining industry has been witnessing steady growth for the past few years, owing to rise in mining exploration activities and initiation of new mining projects in countries, such as Canada, the United States, Australia, India, Russia, and South Africa.
- Additionally, with the rise in consumption of base metals and precious metals in numerous applications, the mining activities of these metals have increased, especially in countries, such as Canada and Mexico.
- Furthermore, the mining industry (especially coal mining) in the Asia-Pacific region has also been continually growing, particularly in countries, such as Australia, China, and India, in turn, propelling the demand for mining equipment. This is the result of stringent government regulations regarding the use of fossil fuels and increased dependence on thermal energy.
- The equipment effectiveness in open pit mining is found to be more than underground mining. (40% equipment effectiveness against 27.3%). This factor is expected to fuel the innovations and production in mining equipment for open pit mining.
- Furthermore, the development of high-performance equipment, with increased automation, has made extraction of ores without declining the grades comparatively cheaper, in turn, propelling the growth of the mining equipment market.
Key Market Trends
Automation and Electrification of Equipment Driving the Market
Mining industry is hugely affected by the fluctuating prices and demand of mining products and raw materials. This leads to generation of low profit margins for operators and miners. This is further affected by stringent emission rules and import-export regulations by government. It has been found that by raising productivity, profit margins can be increased. This is causing companies to automate and electrify mining equipments by installing sensors and analyzing data generated by them. Since 1990, cost of industry robots decreased by 50% while that of manual labor increased by 80%. Mining operations such as drilling and hauling are now fully automated. Operators are now reaping the benefits of automation by seeing increased productivity and safety. In last 7 years, employment in mining industry has fallen by 3.23% and productivity rose up by nearly 2%.
Machines use data analytics and statistical techniques to predict the equipment failure, availability of materials in the ground their quantity through drill and sample data. This practice will reduce and eventually end time consuming activities like face inspection and core logging.
Increased mining activity across the globe
Increasing number of mineral exploration sites and the subsequent demand for advanced processing machinery have contributed to the growth in the mineral processing equipment segment of the mining equipment market. The equipment used in mineral mining majorly consist of surface crushers, mineral refining machines, and heavy earthmover equipment, like bulldozers, excavators, dumper trucks, etc.
In China, government is reducing dependence on fossil fuels. This has boosted the coal mining in the country. In eastern China, government has fitted gas pipelines in households but failed to supply gas regularly. This has led to increased consumption of coal by people for heating purpose. China's largest coal producing province, Shanxi has provided relaxation on stringent government policies and plans to add nearly 11 million tons of coke producing capacities to meet growing demand.
In India, coal production grew by 5.17% between 2014 and 2019. Only 20% Indian reserves have been mined and this provide a big opportunity for miners. India is the second largest crude steel producer and rapid infrastructure development calls for more iron mining. Odisha government plans to auction 17 iron ore plots whose leases will expire in March 2019.
During 2017-2018, Canada alone had 22% of the active mineral exploration sites across the world, followed by Australia with 20% and Africa with 12%.
The Canadian mining industry is one of the largest, producing more than 60 minerals and metals. Mining activities in the country have been increasing over the past three years. In 2017, the mining industry alone contributed USD 97 billion toward the country's GDP. Many of the world's largest mining companies, such as Barrick Gold, Goldcorp, and Saskatchewan Inc., are headquartered in Canada. In addition to this, the mining industry accounted for 19% of the country's exports. Globally, Canada is ranked as first in the production of potash, second in uranium and niobium, and third in the production of nickel, gemstones, indium, aluminum, and platinum group metals.
The mining equipment market is characterized by the presence of numerous international and regional players, resulting in a highly competitive market environment. As of 2018, the top-six players accounted for more than 70% of the market share.
Owing to the new thermal power energy projects, the demand for coal mining in China has increased drastically. However, since many small players are already present in China, their inability to purchase new equipment (owing to the lack of required capital) forces them to rent equipment for various projects and return it back to the suppliers. This indicates a rise in the demand for rental markets for mining equipment. The trend is expected to extend to the African and Latin American countries, Indonesia, etc. Some rental companies are also collaborating to expand their product portfolios.
Major players of mining industry are now providing on-site solutions like components and equipment repair and services that includes part support and even data analytics support.
Some of the leading players in the market are Caterpillar, Liebherr-international, Atlas Copco Construction & Mining, Hitachi, Sandvik, Metso Corp., and Outotec. The leading players also have many subsidiaries that operate specifically for certain products and/or in different countries.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Table of Contents
- 1.1 Study Assumptions
- 1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Drivers
- 4.2 Market Restraints
- 4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
- 4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 Surface Mining Equipment
- 5.1.2 Underground Mining Equipment
- 5.1.3 Mineral Processing Equipment
- 5.2 By Application
- 5.2.1 Metal Mining
- 5.2.2 Mineral Mining
- 5.2.3 Coal Mining
- 5.3 By Powertrain Type
- 5.3.1 IC Engine Vehicle
- 5.3.2 Electric Vehicle
- 5.4 Geography
- 5.4.1 North America
- 18.104.22.168 United States
- 22.214.171.124 Canada
- 126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
- 5.4.2 Europe
- 188.8.131.52 Germany
- 184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
- 220.127.116.11 France
- 18.104.22.168 Russia
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
- 5.4.3 Asia-Pacific
- 126.96.36.199 India
- 188.8.131.52 China
- 184.108.40.206 Japan
- 220.127.116.11 South Korea
- 18.104.22.168 Australia
- 22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.4.4 Rest of the World
- 126.96.36.199 Brazil
- 188.8.131.52 South Africa
- 184.108.40.206 Other Countries
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Vendor Market Share
- 6.2 Company Profiles
- 6.2.1 Caterpillar Inc.
- 6.2.2 Komatsu Ltd
- 6.2.3 Liebherr Group
- 6.2.4 Sandvik
- 6.2.5 Hitachi Construction Machinery Co. Ltd
- 6.2.6 Atlas Copco
- 6.2.7 Metso Corp.
- 6.2.8 Outotec
7 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS