The energy storage industry continues to gain momentum around the world. Industries of all types are actively working to minimize their carbon footprints and increase profits. An unconventional way that utilities and project developers can reap the benefits of energy storage without large upfront investment is mobile advanced battery solutions. While the majority of energy storage deployments are stationary solutions, grid operators and facility owners around the world are beginning to recognize the value that mobile advanced battery systems can provide.
Mobile advanced batteries come in different architectures based on desired use case. Technological innovation with these mobile battery systems is happening on several fronts, most notably the EV charging market. As facility owners and event planners further understand the long-term power implications a fleet of EVs has on the local transformer, mobile batteries have become a way to integrate and manage higher electricity loads. Drivers for mobile advanced batteries include cost deferral potential, short-term load management, and flexibility. Mobile advanced batteries can revolutionize several high electricity use industries by providing large amounts of power with little to no permitting or significant cost implications.
This Navigant Research report explores key applications for mobile advanced energy storage. The study discusses specific battery technologies commercially available in the market as mobile advanced battery solutions. These include Lithium ion, redox flow, and advanced lead-acid batteries. The report also examines the issues mobile battery solutions face at key junctions in the electricity value chain, and how ESS stakeholders can manage these issues with adequate planning.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What type of mobile advanced battery systems are currently available in the market?
- What key functions can mobile advanced battery systems address and improve relative to stationary storage options?
- What are important factors to consider when evaluating the best technology for mobile advanced battery solutions?
- What are the key facility types and operations where mobile advanced battery systems will have an impact?
- What are examples where mobile advanced battery solutions have made a positive impact in the market?
- What should government, manufacturers, and integrators do to ensure the success of their recycling strategies?
Who Needs This Report:
- EV charging companies and fleet owners
- Media and entertainment sector
- Data centers
- Universities and secondary schools
- Public service buildings and UPS operators
- Energy engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) firms
- Renewables finance companies and energy storage technology vendors
- Investor community
Table of Contents
Issues Arise at Several Key Junctions Within the Flow of Electricity Infrastructure
- Key Mobile Advanced Batteries Technologies
- Li-Ion Leads Transportation and Energy Storage Technologies
- Flow Batteries Create Competition
- What Advantages Do Advanced Lead-Acid Batteries Offer?
- Technical Challenges of Mobile Advanced Batteries
Mobile Advanced Batteries Help Maintain Profitable Operations Under Specialized Contingencies
- Storage Has Clear and Measurable Economic Value
Stakeholders Must Consider Mobile ESS Risks and Variables
- Siting and Location Can Significantly Affect Cost and Energy Consumed
- Interconnection and Performance Risks Will Steer This Market
- Mobile Advanced Battery Stakeholders Must Closely Track Variables Affecting Project Economics
- Temporary Trials Can Yield Valuable Insight
- Optimize Public Funding and Existing Study Results