3D printing technology for construction has significantly advanced in the past 5 years, with innovation in robotics, material science, and software. After years of R&D, the market is nearing a tipping point as companies are moving beyond pilots and demonstration projects to selling their products, including 3D construction printers, full buildings, and building components.
Cost savings, reduced construction time, and sustainability compared with traditional construction are the most significant drivers in the market. Considering current tight construction margins and labor shortages, 3D printing has the potential to revolutionize construction and unlock new markets to the industry, such as affordable homes. However, despite significant momentum, widespread adoption of the technology in the coming years is unlikely, as in any emerging market. The first years of commercialization will be critical to overcoming stakeholder skepticism and demonstrating that 3D printing can produce permitted, habitable, and functional homes and buildings.
This Guidehouse Insights report analyzes the market for 3D printing construction technology. This report covers the 3D printing market for residential and commercial construction, including walls, foundations, floors, façades, roofs, and other building envelope elements. This forecast excludes infrastructure (such as bridges) and building finishing elements (such as stairs). The report analyzes market drivers and barriers, assesses the state of 3D printing technology, and provides profiles of market vendors. The global market size forecast is segmented by region and building type. Additionally, the report provides a detailed segmentation for the North American market by building type, construction material type, and product type.
KEY QUESTIONS ADDRESSED:
- What is the state of the 3D printing for construction market?
- How mature is the 3D printing construction technology?
- What are the drivers and barriers in the 3D printing construction market?
- How big is the market for 3D printing in construction?
- What are the companies that have 3D printing for construction solutions?
WHO NEEDS THIS REPORT:
- 3D printing for construction companies
- Venture capital
- Construction firms
- Affordable housing nonprofits
- Investor community
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
- 1.1. Introduction
- 1.2. Market Trends
- 1.3. Global Forecast
2. Market Issues
- 2.1. Introduction
- 2.2. 3D Printing Construction Technology
- 2.2.1. 3D Printers
- 2.2.2. Materials
- 2.2.3. Software
- 2.3. Market Drivers
- 2.3.1. Cost Savings
- 2.3.2. Demand for Affordable Housing
- 2.3.3. Reduced Construction Time
- 2.3.4. Sustainability
- 2.3.5. Building Design
- 2.3.6. Building in Space
- 2.4. Market Barriers
- 2.4.1. Stakeholder Skepticism
- 2.4.2. Complex Construction Value Chain
- 2.4.3. Technology Limitations
- 2.4.4. Permitting and Code Compliance
3. Key Industry Players
- 3.1. Introduction
- 3.1.1. Aectual
- 3.1.2. Apis Cor
- 3.1.3. Be More 3D
- 3.1.4. Branch Technology
- 3.1.5. COBOD
- 3.1.6. Genesis Dimensions
- 3.1.7. ICON
- 3.1.8. Mighty Building
- 3.1.9. MudBots
- 3.1.10. SQ4D
- 3.1.11. Total Kustom Technology/3D Concrete House Printer
4. Market Forecasts
- 4.1. Forecast Scope and Methodology
- 4.2. Assumptions on COVID-19 Pandemic Impacts
- 4.3. Global Overview
- 4.4. Conclusions and Recommendations
5. Acronym and Abbreviation List
6. Table of Contents
7. Table of Charts and Figures
8. Scope of Study, Sources and Methodology, Notes