"Graphite prices stay high - both supply and demand under Covid-19 pressure but battery demand resilient"
High flake graphite prices enable mines outside of China
Despite considerable Covid-19 uncertainty in Q2 2020, graphite prices remain high, with March 2020 prices for 94-97%C fine, medium and large size flake still significantly higher than their September 2017 prices - a time when graphite prices hit their lowest point. Prices have increased steadily since late 2017 as demand for flake graphite from the lithium-ion battery industry coincided with Chinese environmental inspections and then Covid-19 plant closures.
Sustained high prices have encouraged development of flake graphite projects outside of China. During 2019 and early 2020, several projects completed feasibility studies, prefeasibility studies, scoping studies, or resource updates. Meanwhile, Syrah Resources, which became the largest rest of world (ROW) producer in 2018, reduced its flake graphite output by two thirds from September 2019 and reports that it is positioned to manage an extended period of uncertainty.
Roskill is the only consulting company in the world that has up to date information and price forecasts available for petroleum needle coke, synthetic graphite, natural graphite, synthetic graphite end-uses, lithium-ion batteries, refractories, electrodes and steel under one roof. The interactions between these industries are complex and our knowledge of trends in both steel and batteries demand informs our insight on the graphite supply/demand balance.
Roskill experts will answer your questions:
- How will the spectacular and sustained growth of lithium-ion batteries affect the graphite industry?
- Will there be enough graphite to meet demand and where will it come from?
- Which new natural and synthetic graphite projects could come on-stream by 2029?
- How will competition between natural and synthetic graphite change over the next decade?
- To what extent are graphite prices forecast to increase?
Subscribe now and receive:
- Detailed report with ten-year forecasts for demand, supply and prices
- Access to the report via Roskill Interactive for up to 5 users
- Quarterly updates to keep you up to speed on our latest view of the industry
- Access to Roskill specialists for key market queries
- Option to download tables and graphs from the report
- A summary PowerPoint of key report findings
Table of Contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Supply Chain Flowchart
- 3. World Production
- 4. Production Costs
- 5. World Consumption
- 6. International Trade
- 7. Prices
- 8. Outlook
- 9. Background
- 10. Sustainability
- 11. Country Profiles
- 12. Company Profiles
- 13. Consumption by First Use